Football looked good

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Mountain Hawk

Football looked good

Post by Mountain Hawk » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:25 am

Confirmation of a completely ridiculous hire. Just like our recently departed uni Prez. Time to move on at the head of the athletic department as well.

DF2002

Re: Football looked good

Post by DF2002 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:56 am

Agreed…. This guy’s track record elsewhere wasn’t particularly good either as a coach or an individual. Not sure if it was poor recruiting or bad selection but either way it’s embarrassing.
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:46 pm

Any chance the anonymous sniping here is just a tad overly rude the day after an obvious scheduling mismatch?

Maybe he's past his prime at age 55 but he did have 7 straight winning seasons at Holy Cross and I'd never heard a discouraging word home on the range about any cloudy character. If you're not going to use your name, feel free to at least cite your prior street cred at the Div I level.
LUEngineer

Post by LUEngineer » Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:04 pm

Bring Stambaugh in as new OC and watch things improve. Villanova should not be a scheduling mismatch as we should be competitive with the CAA. Holy Cross beat UConn!!
LUEngineer

Post by LUEngineer » Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:05 pm

Did Garcia play?
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:50 pm

LUEngineer wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:05 pm Did Garcia play?
6 for 18 - which was twice as many carries as the next most employed rb.
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:05 pm

drd5748 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:46 pm Any chance the anonymous sniping here is just a tad overly rude the day after an obvious scheduling mismatch?

Maybe he's past his prime at age 55 but he did have 7 straight winning seasons at Holy Cross and I'd never heard a discouraging word home on the range about any cloudy character. If you're not going to use your name, feel free to at least cite your prior street cred at the Div I level.
Scheduling mismatch? Nova is in our division and has completely surpassed Lehigh’s football tradition. Should we go D2?
MH did not impune anyone’s character either so stand down. The guy is not getting the job done in any way shape or form. Terrible. He’s not getting the Jimmy’s and the Joe’s nor does he have the X’s and the O’s.

He was 72-81 at Holy Cross including being fired midseason after a run of 4/5 losing seasons. Awe inspiring.
DF2002

Post by DF2002 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:44 pm

drd5748 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:46 pm Any chance the anonymous sniping here is just a tad overly rude the day after an obvious scheduling mismatch?

And yet I see you don’t sign your name to posts either.

Perhaps I’m wrong but my understanding was (aside from his losing record at HC) that he had a poor track record of keeping talent. If I remember correctly, we had a few surprising and head-turning transfers not long after he took the helm. Perhaps it as unjustified speculation but he had a reputation as being a screamer. Players with options won’t stand long for that nor should they.

Again, if this isn’t the case then I’d apologize here but I certainly won’t apologize for the comment about his track record as a coach as his record at HC is verifiable and obviously not good.
TMH

Post by TMH » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:03 pm

Who transferred?

Is this unusual? Gilmore and Chechini started at about the same time. Bucknell has 13 seniors on the team this year. What happened to all the rest.

"Again, if this isn’t the case then I’d apologize here but I certainly won’t apologize for the comment about his track record as a coach as his record at HC is verifiable and obviously not good."

He was 2 X Patriot League COY at Holy Cross. He went 5 years in a row finishing no less than 2nd and he was the National Asst COY at Lehigh.

So who would you rather that we hired based on their resume?

I suggest that his resume was much better than either Higgins or Lembo. Do you disagree?
DF2002

Post by DF2002 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:45 pm

TMH wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:03 pm Who transferred?

Is this unusual? Gilmore and Chechini started at about the same time. Bucknell has 13 seniors on the team this year. What happened to all the rest.

"Again, if this isn’t the case then I’d apologize here but I certainly won’t apologize for the comment about his track record as a coach as his record at HC is verifiable and obviously not good."

He was 2 X Patriot League COY at Holy Cross. He went 5 years in a row finishing no less than 2nd and he was the National Asst COY at Lehigh.

So who would you rather that we hired based on their resume?

I suggest that his resume was much better than either Higgins or Lembo. Do you disagree?
I can go back and dig through the archives here but the gist of it was that some guys transferred specifically because of Gilmore and the way he treated players and that his turnover rate among assistants was known to be high.

Maybe that’s not unusual. Maybe all coaches have players and assistants that leave frequently for this reason. Totally possible but still not preferable for our student- athletes or asst. coaches if this is true of him.

Not sure what Bucknell has to do with it.

As for Gilmore’s resume- he had one notably good year at HC when he went 9-3. His next best years were 7-4. His conference record was 41-40 and overall record was LOSING. Does this seem like a good record to you? Maybe the man had 2 good years at HC and good for him for those years but that doesn’t inspire much confidence. Comparing him to Lembo or Higgins doesn’t change his record or make me feel any better about it.

Who would I have hired? Someone with a winning record. That would have been a better start.