Nick Feldman

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Oracle

Re: Nick Feldman

Post by Oracle » Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:14 pm

I agree with DRD's question. Why would a WPIAL guy be pinging LU? I would think maybe Pitt before us. VA Tech has been recruiting western PA for a while now. Lehigh gets a recruit once in a while, but Ohio State and PSU have more influence with top recruits than LU in that area. IMO

drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:41 pm

>>Just curious.......why not? Seems that would be a better question....

...Answering the question would help with this: it's only a better question if your statement were true. If it turns out he wasn't seriously interested, then you just rumor mongered for no good reason -- and contributed to undue disappointment among fans now thinking we had a serious shot. One of my responsibilities to fans is to help alleviate avoidable pain if possible. Especially from idle speculation, which occurs all too often from anonymous posters.
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:11 am

The kid is a PA state champion, powerade champion, powerade runner up, and walsh ironman runner up who is a very bright kid going into engineering……so you’re saying a kid like that wouldnt be pinging Lehigh’s radar hard? Seems like the perfect Lehigh recruit, or at least at one time he may have been, have we given up trying to get guys like that? If your answer to that question is “hell no we sure as heck are still trying to get those guys”, then i would assume he was pinging Lehigh’s radar and yes rather hard…..

My assumption was that Lehigh still tries to recruit that type of individual, i guess I was wrong…… glad that The Denster is here to save us all the pain of assuming Lehigh wrestling would be interested in that type of recruit anymore
mh1

Post by mh1 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:09 pm

Why should Lehigh be surrendering Western Pa to Pitt, Ohio State and Virginia Tech. I do not understand that sentiment at all. That just seems a very odd take.
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:23 pm

drd5748 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:41 pm If it turns out he wasn't seriously interested, then you just rumor mongered for no good reason -- and contributed to undue disappointment among fans now thinking we had a serious shot. One of my responsibilities to fans is to help alleviate avoidable pain if possible. Especially from idle speculation, which occurs all too often from anonymous posters.
All the LOLs!

Thanks for sheltering us unsophisticated fans from “avoidable pain”!
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:31 pm

Denny, you don't alleviate avoidable pain. You either avoid nonexistent pain or alleviate existing pain but you don't do both.
HFO

Post by HFO » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:47 pm

I do believe Thayne Lawrence is a 2x State Champion out of the WPIAL, District 7. I hope we are not trying to dissuade Rune who won a State Championship as a Freshman. Seems we are already recruiting Western PA and have always recruited Western PA. Would be nice to land as many PA State Champs as possibly. I would throw in Ohio State Champs too, maybe get some of those western Chicago suburb kids or even some of those kids coming out of Michigan and Indiana.

Seems we get a decent share of State Champions. Lehigh still does finish in Top 20. Do we get enough of the top talent to contend for a Top 5? Then again, no other private university is other than Cornell. Let us see how that goes forward now that Koll left. Maybe now Lehigh is competing with the Stanford Engineering department and the wrestler who wants to be an engineer.
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:32 pm

Cornell public when it needs to be for athletes.
HFO

Post by HFO » Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:00 pm

Mountain Hawk wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:32 pm Cornell public when it needs to be for athletes.
As a kid of the 1930s, my father would say, "Doesn't matter what door, as long as it leads into something."

Morrill Land Grant Acts named what universities would be for each state. Seems like Cornell had the political influence around the Civil War to be founded and get in there ahead of some of the more established schools like Colgate.

I have no ill will toward anyone accepted to Cornell into one of the land grant college majors. Heck they even have Global Health major inside CALS. :lol:

In all seriousness, CALS is a fine school. It has applied economics, biological engineering, biological science, statistics, environmental engineering, energy economics, international trade, and my favorite Viticulture and Enology. Pretty accomplished people in their fields in all these difficult majors. Not everyone is throwing on overalls and a John Deere hat and running back to the family farm.

As someone whose hobby used to be horses, Delaware Valley College (now University) or SUNY-Morrisville or Western Kentucky University might not be top of the shelf elite universities, UNLESS you are into EQUINE STUDIES and intend to own horses, train horses, etc. My good friends granddaughter out of high school wanted to do two things. Marry her high school sweetheart and study equine studies and ride for for Western Kentucky equestrian team. There are not many at NCAA level. It worked out. As a married couple, they were no longer parental responsibility for financial aid. They got good financial aid for both of them. They both excelled at WKU, despite her father having pedigree of a Top 5 MBA and senior executive at a Fortune 500 life science company. It is not about prestige, it is about loving your family member and feeding their dream. Could have sent her to college anywhere, sent her to college where she loved it and excelled and now building a career in equine industry of central Kentucky.

Cornell University is a fine place. I have a home on Lake Skaneateles for summers. I sometimes venture down the road to Ithaca. It is great community of learning with both Cornell and Ithaca College there. A rare place of vibrancy. If I drive up to Syracuse, it is like driving into the Bronx and dreary.