Broadcast of Wresle-offs?

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
whiz wit

Re: Broadcast of Wresle-offs?

Post by whiz wit » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:02 pm

Sorry, Oracle, but I'm starved for LU wrestling notwithstanding the Olympics and Worlds, which aren't nearly as emotionally involving for me as LU action. The Brown vs White event usually has a few bouts, I think, among contenders for starting jobs. You can also watch guys who may have seen little or no action on account of injury or whatever the prior season plus newbies who are debuting in D1 competition. So not only would I not poo poo the B v W, I much hope to be able to watch and enjoy it.

Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:10 pm

yeah....but the scouting and secrets given away....oh my
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:59 pm

>>yeah....but the scouting and secrets given away....oh my

... I'm' sure we'd like to give you away - you still have owned up to last week's inane mention of Centralia - then trying to foist the blame on me for daring to cite your post.

... I apologize to whiz wit if he's a Lehigh fan, but so is Spladle who's been annoying for eons asking more intrusive Q's than anyone. It's still a fact that only 1-2 schools in the nation show w-off video, so I guess the complainers are gonna' hafta' get with the program - or keep whining aimlessly if you must.
I know Troy Letters will agree with this decision, after he hollered at his coach after losing to Mark Perry in the ncaa semis: "Get those ___ videos off the Internet !!" That was the year Greg went out of his way to generate free online videos of all our meets, when no other school did it - or has done since. If you want to disagree with Patrick J Santoro's policy with LU Athletics, go ahead and try to convince him. I'm not in charge of anything.
And if you bring up Flo videos, I often wonder how many copyright laws they might be breaking. Of course, there's always the other renegade provider that weasels its way into Grace promising "highlights only" - then posting most of the action. If whiz wit's memory is so good, he might recall its name. Can't say I do.
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:22 am

Denny, repeat it till you understand it, it’s 2021… the internet….yes that damn things still around….all your blather is pointless and outdated in the year….. you guessed it, 2021…..

I’m a big Pat Santoro fan and take offense to you accusing him of being out dated and not adjusting to the times, I think he’s smarter than that…. So yes I find the video arguement laughable, the full house more money for program arguement would make more sense although it is probably a very short sighted way of looking at it by the athletic department….
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:50 am

jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:07 pm

whiz wit wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:50 am Princeton wrestle-offs (live):

https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?re ... live_video
Link not very helpful:

This Content Isn't Available Right Now

When this happens, it's usually because the owner only shared it with a small group of people, changed who can see it or it's been deleted.
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:10 pm

Or it’s over as it was from 9am till 11am this morning…..that crazy damn internet

P.S. - this is the correct answer
Last edited by Spladle1989 on Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:23 pm

Or those crazy coaches who know each other well and conspire to keep scouts at bay
HFO

Post by HFO » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:34 pm

Not ancient history, but Wrestle Offs were competitive and had input to who wrestled the first match.
https://lehighsports.com/news/2009/12/3 ... _5147.aspx

I have seen wrestling in Lehigh Valley and Coal Region since a child and teenager of the 1930s.
I remember days of Matthes, Masem, Hagerman, King, Schraeder, Mighty Joe Quinn and the incredible Dr. Dick Brenneman from my hometown area. Brenneman was star when I was a teen and went onto live one of the most interesting life. One of reasons why I came to Lehigh. The late 30s into 40/41 were incredible times for Lehigh Wrestling. Then real life happened.

Sheridan always said he wanted the boys to go at it and put on a show for the student body and community. For all I know, Coach Sheridan invented the wrestle off to promote the sport and get local school kids and coaches interested in the sport and attend his coaching sessions. He was Scotsman and came out of Singer Sewing Machine so he knew something about Promotion and Business.

It would be nice if Lehigh had a real wrestle off again. 10 weights, 20 wrestlers and put it on this thing called the "internet". It is not rocket science. My great grandchildren do it.
Frenchie

Post by Frenchie » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:42 pm

Fan interest equals money in to the program. Broadcast helps create fan interest and engagement. Ultimately, the more I see these kids, the more I am interested in them personally and the program as a whole. I love to see the kids coming in who are going to red shirt and then I won't see them for a year- it helps build buy-in on many levels.

Wrestle-offs are fun. Not throwing a fit that I can't see them, and very much appreciate Pat and what he does with the program. Sometimes its ok to disagree with someone and still respect their decision.