Okla State Theatrics

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Oracle

Okla State Theatrics

Post by Oracle » Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:25 am

Gallagher/Iba Arena sits adjacent to Boone Pickens Stadium and a half block from the Wrestling HOF. It is an 'okay' arena with a capacity of about 13,000. They do have a nice Jumbo-tron.

The run-up to the dual was intimidating for the opponent as the announcer lists all their historic accomplishments: team title, individual tiles, 480 something AAs. But after that, it went down hill in a hurry.

In an attempt to entertain fans, they wasted time between bouts with a variety of things that were nonsensical. I could understand recognizing a youth wrestler by having a photo op with Pistol Pete in his mascot outfit, but showing the wrestlers on the big screen joking around was weird....this was between bouts. Then they had the light down until 1-2 seconds before the bout started and then the house lights came on bright as could be. Really unnecessary to have to adjust to if you were an opponent and not used to that. Bush league IMO.

As for the OSU coaching staff of John Smith, Zach Esposito and Chris Perry --- all dressed like 'Cowboys' in a variety of shades of orange. It was awful. Last time John Smith was in Stabler (and lost) he conducted himself well. Not Sunday. The coaching corner means nothing to these guys who roam to the edge of the circle while the boiut is going on to scream at the ref. Over nothing by the way. John Smith was a total lunatic, only tolpped by Perry who acted like a child. ZEspo was bad but better by comparison. By contrast, Pat and his team maintained their decorum, as always. The ref was a deer in the headlhights -- who is going to take on John Smith in Gallagher Arena? But he should have.

Then there was AJ Ferrari. A total hot dog. Unbelievably immature. Our guy did well to maintain his composure. Ferrari, as we used to say, needs a good beating. Hopefully he gets one later on this year.

Lehigh should have won at 141. Bad call by the ref when he didn't award an escape when it was clear there was no control and then allowed McGonagle's RT point top be erased. In my book, our guy wins 6-5. However, McGonagle did not wrestle a good match and Carter Young gassed him big time. So whether it was 26-9 or 23-12 it's still a loss. Humphreys looked good -- Sheets is no joke. You can throw out what happened last time. Meyer beat their back-up 2-0. Wood looked good and finally shot a really nice high C against a quicker opponent and finished by working through the position. He looked good against #30 Surber, a former 197.

NothingMeaningful

Re: Okla State Theatrics

Post by NothingMeaningful » Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:34 am

Oracle wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:25 am
Then there was AJ Ferrari. A total hot dog. Unbelievably immature. Our guy did well to maintain his composure. Ferrari, as we used to say, needs a good beating. Hopefully he gets one later on this year.
Looks like you got your wish, but probably not in the way you expected and sooner rather than later.
TMH

Post by TMH » Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:49 am

NothingMeaningful wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:34 am
Oracle wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:25 am
Looks like you got your wish, but probably not in the way you expected and sooner rather than later.
You never want to see things like that. Thankfully he should be OK.

I do hope though that life has taught him a lesson. No one is immortal. Trying to pass 3 cars in a no passing zone is plain wrong and again thankfully the other driver was uninjured.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:31 am

I was traveling and had not heard about the accident. What happened?
Obviously, I would not have posted if I had known.

And yes, there is wrestling and then there's life. My sincere prayer is for his complete recovery.
TMH

Post by TMH » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:58 am

Oracle wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:31 am I was traveling and had not heard about the accident. What happened?
Obviously, I would not have posted if I had known.

And yes, there is wrestling and then there's life. My sincere prayer is for his complete recovery.
This is probably the best recap IMO

https://pistolsfiringblog.com/aj-ferrar ... -accident/
legger

Post by legger » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:28 pm

**** Agree with Oracle on a number of points:

1) "Then they had the lights down until 1-2 seconds before the bout started and then the house lights came on bright as could be. Really unnecessary to have to adjust to if you were an opponent and not used to that. Bush league IMO".
That definitely gives the home team an advantage, knowing there will be a change of lighting as the match starts.

2) "John Smith was a total lunatic, only topped by Perry who acted like a child. ZEspo was bad but better by comparison. By contrast, Pat and his team maintained their decorum, as always. The ref was a deer in the headlhights -- who is going to take on John Smith in Gallagher Arena? But he should have". John Smith looked pissed off the entire match (maybe some bad sushi).

3) "Bad call by the ref when he didn't award an escape when it was clear there was no control and then allowed McGonagle's RT point top be erased. In my book, our guy wins 6-5. However, McGonagle did not wrestle a good match and Carter Young gassed him big time". Agree McGonagle was hosed, but he still should have been able to get out of the head lock.

It is hard enough winning against a top 5 team, especially when they are home, but when you have a Ref who is intimidated by the likes of Smith, it is almost impossible unless your team is another Top 5.
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:52 pm

Now that the mandatory reciprocity has been completed, I wonder if OSU will be on LU's schedule next season. I for one would much rather see the team take on Rutgers - a local rival with a large and enthusiastic fan base and whose participation would more likely result in a highly competitive dual.
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:55 pm

Ferrari should thank his lucky stars the women he hit coming the other way is ok, any money he has earned thru his shenanigans would be gone, gone, gone......who knows, still might be......glad he's not more seriously injured but I would guess this incident is far from over for him beyond his immediate health concerns......
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:38 pm

Luckily, she had a vehicle as big as his Durango.
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:36 pm

Richb-3 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:38 pm Luckily, she had a vehicle as big as his Durango.
Luckily, they were all using their seat belts.