New Line-Up

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
jdalu75

Re: New Line-Up

Post by jdalu75 » Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:43 am

drd5748 wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:30 pm
... the NIL concept is likely worse; I enroll and wake up each morning tallying my income? Do I hire an accnt?
I read an article about this a week ago .... the answer is "they'd better". Without agents, teenagers will be making significant sums of dough and may not realize they need to be paying SS and Medicare taxes, fed income taxes, state income taxes perhaps to multiple states -- predicted a lot of young athletes in hot water with the IRS.

Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:00 am

Good news: the IRS is so effed up they’ll never collect.
Asa Packer

Post by Asa Packer » Sat May 14, 2022 8:27 pm

drd5748 wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:02 pm >>>Having said that, I'll put myself out there:
125 Seymour
133 Lane
141 Hines
149 Brignola
157 Humphreys
165 Logan
174 Lawrence
184 Burkhardt
197 Garcia
285 Taylor
Crookham to RS -- I have no inside info, just throwing pasta at the wall...

... Pretty nice, job, Asa - and nice cover on Crookham who's a notable option at 33/41 according to sources.
... 133- Spladle correctly remembers someone who doesn't want to be forgotten, good reasons, Brandon returns after two solid seasons in '19, '20 incl wins vs 3 eventual A/As. He has hurdles (duh), just as he had them cutting back down to 125 in 2020 (#7 seed). The surgery, prior medical hurdles hopefully behind him in '23. A terrific & dedicated kid
... 141- i hope it's Hines, McGonagle, possible Crookham option. Pretty damn good options, if he strengthen that thin body, I think Hines is among our top TD guys in yrs; I think eating can only help.

... 149- Brigs said last Fri he 'expects' to finish at 165 and laughed when i said Hines shared that 2 yrs in a row. Malyke must have some of Randy Cruz genes; I sure hope he gets started on his 'prediction'
... 165- Logan won his 1st NY state title at 182 in 2018, so we can skip fantasy league picks here. Human anatomy requires fuel as a top option.... possible w-off between Monzana & Meyers; if Josh r/s Bryant at 157.
... 174- Lawrence said at the picnic last Sept he's pursuing 174, so Thayne vs. Logan improves both; one key '22 issue was lack of top w-offs; easier to remain starter.

... 184- AJ "No D" in Burkhart could be a heckuva wrestler if/when he returns betw 195-200. If looking for him, try the weight room first. Could use a challenger ... who? Maybe JT returns here "if" that feels right. Kid's pretty darn good when not totally out-sized; proved that nearly beat Penn kid at Easterns.
... 197- Or Davis keeps lifting to ward off the new kid, Garcia, whose strength is alleged to approach Meys, McCorkel levels. No one will need to add "he needs to be more of an athlete" ... with Rogers 2nd at 220, Nat Preps (to a Top 10) I'm not sure his plans but "assume" he wants 197, which could be shared by 3 guys vs 1 in '22.
... 285- Nate's a great option; heard about a new Hwt recruit but that can wait.

I sense much tougher W-offs next Fall. So I'll retire until Summer. Have huge 4-15 LUWN Yr-Ender, then almost as big 5/15 Recruiting Issue. Thx for forum posters for your boost in keeping my focus on 5/15 as needed. Be well, all
Drd5748 quoting my original post. Now Logan going for 165. So fuel no longer an option? Lol
TMH

Post by TMH » Sat May 14, 2022 10:20 pm

Even now, everything is just conjecture. It is one thing to say that you will cut that much weight in May and another thing to actually do it in October. I wish Jake luck but weight management has so far not been one of Jake's strengths.

What is more interesting to me is why he is going to attempt this cut. Exactly who is he avoiding? Thayne Lawrence has spoken openly of going up to 174. Is it him? The Michael Beard transfer may be having a ripple effect. JT Davis is probably a more natural 184#, the weight he wrestled the prior year. My guess is he was just filling a hole at 197. Does that motivate Burkhart to drop to 174? Does Logan feel vulnerable due to that move?

Fall could be quite interesting.
Asa Packer

Post by Asa Packer » Sun May 15, 2022 12:46 am

All the "extra" upper weights go down to 165. All the "extra" lightweights go up to 165.
Then we have an old fashioned battle royale. Lol
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Sun May 15, 2022 9:52 am

TMH wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 10:20 pm Even now, everything is just conjecture. It is one thing to say that you will cut that much weight in May and another thing to actually do it in October.
A point I made in a recent post; remember when several of our lightweights were going to drop a weight because it worked so well for Paetzell? Didn't happen.

TMH wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 10:20 pm What is more interesting to me is why he is going to attempt this cut. Exactly who is he avoiding? Thayne Lawrence has spoken openly of going up to 174. Is it him? The Michael Beard transfer may be having a ripple effect. JT Davis is probably a more natural 184#, the weight he wrestled the prior year. My guess is he was just filling a hole at 197. Does that motivate Burkhart to drop to 174? Does Logan feel vulnerable due to that move?
The objective is not to win the starting job; the objective is to win the starting job and then wrestle successfully against Div I opponents. I have to believe that many athletes expect to be world-beaters in college, then find out how much more difficult the competition is. All the weight-lifting in the world isn't going to increase a wrestler's reach and leverage.
TMH

Post by TMH » Sun May 15, 2022 11:06 am

Every situation is unique. I sometimes wish that there was a formula to it all.

Humphreys for example by build gives up a lot of reach and perhaps leverage but certainly makes his body build work for him. Lane has all the reach and leverage in the world but admittedly wore down due to the weight cut.

Some wrestlers can get away with the Gene Mills style of weight management. For others, it's debilitating. Eventually, hopefully, the wrestlers know their own body.

My hope is that if we are transitioning to weight drops vs building the body up is that we do it in a regimented manner. Hopefully Logan has bought into that finally.

If my memory serves me correctly, I talked to Paetzell after the 2018 season when he told me he was going down to 125 the next season. He wrestled at 133 in 2019. I never knew if it was because he couldn't make the cut or he found a softer landing place there. The following year, he again announced that he was dropping to 125 and with a dietician had a well laid out plan to get there.

Like I said, this fall can be quite interesting.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Sun May 15, 2022 11:58 am

We can talk all we want about weights......the programs that are currently dominating have their red shirts down right out of the gate and every starter down so they are huge. That seems to be working. If Lehigh wants to play in that sand box, they will have to follow suit. Wish there was another way -- there's not.
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Sun May 15, 2022 5:23 pm

>>>Even now, everything is just conjecture. It is one thing to say that you will cut that much weight in May and another thing to actually do it in October. I wish Jake luck but weight management has so far not been one of Jake's strengths.

>>>What is more interesting to me is why he is going to attempt this cut. Exactly who is he avoiding? Thayne Lawrence has spoken openly of going up to 174. Is it him? The Michael Beard transfer may be having a ripple effect. JT Davis is probably a more natural 184#, the weight he wrestled the prior year. My guess is he was just filling a hole at 197. Does that motivate Burkhart to drop to 174? Does Logan feel vulnerable due to that move?

.... Me getting quoted above in a 1-sentence quip about my lengthy post -- which was a reply to someone else's lengthy line=up proposal was ... well, a classic discombobulation of my position. In my reply I "clearly" disputed Logan cutting to 165, on the grounds that both his NY state titles were at 182; I commented that "fuel was a necessity to anatomy" ... so the RESPONSE to my post mocked that sentence -- thinking I was the one cutting Jake to 165 (when I was mocking the idea).
That was before Beard bounced into the picture ... and while I'm not about to break confidence with the staff, I'm certainly not going to dispute the near certain ripple effect this is expected to cause. Not when AJ told me he weighed 180 on Apr.1. W-offs for 125-149 and 165-184 should be pretty damn interesting.