You guys are still so slow...

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
mookie

Re: You guys are still so slow...

Post by mookie » Thu May 05, 2022 6:34 am

And there it is…

Why am I not surprised?

Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Thu May 05, 2022 7:54 am

I wonder if Beard plans on using all 3 years of eligibility, he graduated high school in 2018 I believe?.....Wouldn't be surprised if he just wrestles two more years..........Rogers could redshirt the first year, back up the second year and then still have 3 years of eligibility remaining......Of course in the NIL world expecting anyone that is a top recruit to stay around if they get recruited over is hopeful at best.....

Maybe Garcia or Rogers bulks up a bit and challenges Taylor as light/athletic heavyweights...

Interesting roster being put together, still to me a lot of questions at 165-184 next couple of years but there are a lot of guys in the room to fill the spots, question is who will step up and "demand" the spots......
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Thu May 05, 2022 8:07 am

Why all the mock concern for a recruit? Coach's job is to assemble the best talent he can. He did that. End of story. If he had signed Wyatt Henson around the same weight class as Ryan Crookham, what then? They will figure it out.
Beard isn't just a high quality AA transfer, he strengthens the relationship with Malvern Prep even more. That's important. BTW, Rogers hasn't even enrolled yet. He'll be fine and this will enable him to improve more than if Mr. Beard wasn't coming. In case any of you guys haven't noticed, our rivals use 'quality of work-out partners' against us all the time. In this case, that's now off the table. The LU room is toughening up big time with Paetzell returning and addition of Crookham and now Beard.

Yes, I know Rogers is also from Malvern Prep.
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Thu May 05, 2022 11:41 am

Don't guess you were referring to me Oracle but if you were was just laying out a situation where Rodgers would still have 3 full years as a starter and still only be at Lehigh for 5 years......Wouldn't surprise me if Beard only uses 2 more years of his eligibility (also wouldn't surprise me if he used all 3 years).....

Also I like Nathan Taylor's potential but as I said wouldn't be surprised to see Garcia or Rodgers "bulk" up and try becoming an athletic heavy....depends on what their "walk around weight" is.....

Everyone loves depth on the team, myself included but it's going to become a rarer commodity with the new NIL/scholarship rules out there......we all want to think it should be about the school, the education and so on but there are plenty of quality schools out there that would be happy to pluck a starter off another team's roster if they have a need to fill .... movement between programs is going to continue to grow.....
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Thu May 05, 2022 12:48 pm

>>>Wouldn't surprise me if Beard only uses 2 more years of his eligibility (also wouldn't surprise me if he used all 3 years).....

Gee, that should cover the odds pretty well 8-)
I'll get the answer from Brad this afternoon when we discuss final LUWrestlingNews copy for the recruiting issue
mh1

Post by mh1 » Thu May 05, 2022 5:36 pm

The Malvern Prep pipeline sure is strong and in the backyard so a good program to stay close to. The other up and coming program in SE PA is Faith Christian Academy. They sent 4 freshman wrestlers to the PIAA 2-A tournament. Botero at 113, Hontz at 126, Stein at 132, and Sugaski at 160. Botero and Stein placed as freshmen.
lu90

Post by lu90 » Thu May 05, 2022 6:51 pm

mh1 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 5:36 pm The Malvern Prep pipeline sure is strong and in the backyard so a good program to stay close to. The other up and coming program in SE PA is Faith Christian Academy. They sent 4 freshman wrestlers to the PIAA 2-A tournament. Botero at 113, Hontz at 126, Stein at 132, and Sugaski at 160. Botero and Stein placed as freshmen.
Not to mention their middle school team is stacked with 5 kids in top 25 p4p rankings in state. They will be challenging the top teams in the state within a couple years if not sooner.
LUEngineer

Post by LUEngineer » Sat May 07, 2022 8:59 am

With the depth that we now have at virtually all weights, it will help force wrestlers to get to their lowest weight to make the lineup. This should help the strength gap we have seen with some guys just not strong enough to compete nationally at their “comfortable” weight.

Beard is a great addition but what about the leg brace he is wearing in the photo-damaged goods?
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Sat May 07, 2022 11:41 am

I could answer, but then I'd have to kill you (and everyone else who reads it) :-)
Obviously kidding, but did you really expect an answer?
Apparel companies make a ton of money with sales of those do-hickeys.
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Sat May 07, 2022 11:57 am

>>>Everyone loves depth on the team, myself included but it's going to become a rarer commodity with the new NIL/scholarship rules out there.

When I read this about a week ago, I agreed 100%. Then reassessing possible lineup projections for '22-23, I find surprising possibilities, like as many as seven former EIWA entries offering excellent depth next season. Admittedly a weird year (like the prior one) but significant, nonetheless. Pray for good health, among other things (and no, it's too soon for me to air projections).