EIWA signing of note

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Oracle

EIWA signing of note

Post by Oracle » Wed May 25, 2022 12:07 pm

Bucknell signed Stephen Lucas, a NYS champ from Suffolk Co , LI. Lucas finished the year at 38-1.Won title at 132 and projected at 141

Spladle1989

Re: EIWA signing of note

Post by Spladle1989 » Wed May 25, 2022 12:57 pm

Strange signing at this late a date.....he is a senior, won states from the 8 seed......overall high school record of 74-30........was not in the strongest of brackets for NYS D1 this year......good for him and Bucknell but I would be surprised if he has significant success at the next level....but I've been surprised before both ways......
mookie

Post by mookie » Wed May 25, 2022 2:33 pm

Meanwhile Michael Kemerer was signed by Cornell for their Spartan OTC. A tad more significant.

Apparently the Cornell offer was very strong.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Wed May 25, 2022 8:13 pm

MIchael Kemerer is a warrior, but perhaps his competitive days are behind him considering his shoulder injuries.
RTCs are costly and burdensome for a minor sport like wrestling.Much simpler to allow up to 4 full time paid assistants per program. But it is what it is.

Another way to go is to allow 5 full rides per year over a 5 year period (25 total) for every D1 team. Service academies would be exempt, but Ivies would not. That would level the playing field. Even if in-state tuition is dirt cheap like in Oklahoma, it still counts as a full-ride -- equivalent to a full ride at Harvard. If the Ivies don't go along, tough. One set of scholarship rules. BTW, no splitting up the full rides -- like in football. I can already hear Nothing Meaningful crying a river. :shock:
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Wed May 25, 2022 9:26 pm

>>>MIchael Kemerer is a warrior, but perhaps his competitive days are behind him considering his shoulder injuries.
RTCs are costly and burdensome for a minor sport like wrestling. Much simpler to allow up to 4 full time paid assistants per program. But it is what it is.

... Some interesting takes here; yes, RTCs are costly but you'd be surprised how long it's taken a lot of schools to get their administrations to budget for approval of just the second full-time asst position. Richer than most schools in wrestling support, Lehigh U is one of those, obviously intentionally kept under wraps. Sorry, but budgeting for #3 and #4 anywhere but the rich in TV revenue schools is worthy of Fantasy Land.
Bison_137

Post by Bison_137 » Thu May 26, 2022 1:14 am

Spladle1989 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:57 pm Strange signing at this late a date.....he is a senior, won states from the 8 seed......overall high school record of 74-30........was not in the strongest of brackets for NYS D1 this year......good for him and Bucknell but I would be surprised if he has significant success at the next level....but I've been surprised before both ways......

He committed and signed with Bucknell a long time ago. Yesterday just happened to be the date of the press release for all eight of their signees.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Thu May 26, 2022 8:57 am

Yes, NCAA rules state the institution can only make one announcement per year. Recruits are free to post the news any time, which is how recruiting services get their info.

More on Lucas: as Spladdle points out, he was the 8th seed, but was 34-1 entering the states. From a strong high school program in a very tough area (Section 11 Suffolk Co) He tech'd the #1 seed (who had won 46 bouts) in the quarters. In fact, his run included WBF, TF, TF, 9-6 over 3rd seed in the finals over a guy who was 47-1 coming in.
So one could say Lucas had a hot tournament or one could say Lucas is pretty darn good. I'll go with the latter. Nice pick-up for Bucknell either way.
Bison_137

Post by Bison_137 » Thu May 26, 2022 12:13 pm

Oracle wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 8:57 am Yes, NCAA rules state the institution can only make one announcement per year. Recruits are free to post the news any time, which is how recruiting services get their info.
Could you cite where in the NCAA rules it says this. I know in sports like football, basketball, and soccer that schools can and do have multiple announcements. I have never checked specifically on wrestling but it would surprise me if there is a separate rule on announcements for one specific sport.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Thu May 26, 2022 1:20 pm

No thank you. If it's that important to you, find it yourself.
gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Thu May 26, 2022 1:45 pm

Bison_137 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:13 pm
Oracle wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 8:57 am Yes, NCAA rules state the institution can only make one announcement per year. Recruits are free to post the news any time, which is how recruiting services get their info.
Could you cite where in the NCAA rules it says this. I know in sports like football, basketball, and soccer that schools can and do have multiple announcements. I have never checked specifically on wrestling but it would surprise me if there is a separate rule on announcements for one specific sport.
I don't have the manual with me (I might have it in my cloud but don't feel like searching) but it always was like that years ago. I thought they made a slight alteration a few years back where you could only make one announcement per recruit but could break up the announcements. I believe Lehigh seems to be holding but other schools seem to be doing the other. Not 100% on this.