Good News. College NIL ot worst idea ever.

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
lu_alum

Re: Good News. College NIL ot worst idea ever.

Post by lu_alum » Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:14 pm

It was inevitable.

I'm curious to see how long it takes someone to make a legal challenge about eligibility status when changing from private to public schools. Using Crookham as an example, why shouldn't a kid be eligible when changing from private school to the geographically-zoned public school?

I know nothing of Crookham's academic or financial status, but what if the parents of an uber-talented kid come to the conclusion that they neither (1) continue to afford the private school, nor (2) handle the academics of a premier private school?
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:07 am

lu_alum wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:14 pm It was inevitable.

I'm curious to see how long it takes someone to make a legal challenge about eligibility status when changing from private to public schools. Using Crookham as an example, why shouldn't a kid be eligible when changing from private school to the geographically-zoned public school?

I know nothing of Crookham's academic or financial status, but what if the parents of an uber-talented kid come to the conclusion that they neither (1) continue to afford the private school, nor (2) handle the academics of a premier private school?
I thought the same thing. How can PIAA stop a kid from laving a Private school, and going to the Public school in which he naturally resides. I don't know if as a Soph at ND Crookham lived in the Saucon Valley district.

---------------------------------
60 years ago Mad magazine had an article about people losing interest in MLB to watch Little League, which would then become professional, and big league players would lie about their ages to play at that level. Does not look that far off.
gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:11 am

Richb-3 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:07 am I thought the same thing. How can PIAA stop a kid from laving a Private school, and going to the Public school in which he naturally resides. I don't know if as a Soph at ND Crookham lived in the Saucon Valley district.
Because the PIAA doesn't distinguish between public and private. The claim is from some legislation maybe 70-80 years ago whereby the PIAA must afford all schools the same bite at the apple.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:46 am

gimpeltf wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:11 am
Richb-3 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:07 am I thought the same thing. How can PIAA stop a kid from laving a Private school, and going to the Public school in which he naturally resides. I don't know if as a Soph at ND Crookham lived in the Saucon Valley district.
Because the PIAA doesn't distinguish between public and private. The claim is from some legislation maybe 70-80 years ago whereby the PIAA must afford all schools the same bite at the apple.
So if the breadwinner of a family loses his job, the kids need to give up a year of sports eligibility because the family can no longer afford private school tuition? There were no Private schools in the PIAA 50+ years ago
mookie

Post by mookie » Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:50 am

I can hardly wait to buy that T-Shirt with an image of a pimply-faced 16-year-old football player.
gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:01 am

Richb-3 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:46 am
gimpeltf wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:11 am
So if the breadwinner of a family loses his job, the kids need to give up a year of sports eligibility because the family can no longer afford private school tuition? There were no Private schools in the PIAA 50+ years ago
It was more about Parochial then. Are you saying there were no parochial schools then? I know there was a separate Catholic school states for wrestling. I was trying to remember what John Gordon/ Scott Green had told me about the separation of sports at Sem. I see FH and Tennis joined PIAA mid-80s. I seem to remember them telling me it happened earlier than that for some sports.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:47 pm

Pat Sculley was the first Catholic School wrestler in the state tourney. that year 72-73 was the first year Catholic Schools, (also Milton Hershey) were allowed in the post season, they of course competed in leagues, like East Penn and Capitol Area.

Vo techs might have been in PIAA then, although I don't know that there were many then or that they had separate athletics. The Scotland School was PIAA, but that was an orphanage for children of veterans entirely owned by the state (John Whitehead their most famous alumni, maybe)