Elite 8

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
whiz wit

Re: Elite 8

Post by whiz wit » Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:53 am

Oracle wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:48 am
whiz wit wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:02 am Nick Cheesestek's only loss was to #3 Adams where was ahead 4-2 but gave up a takedown and 2 point near fall in the last half minute of the bout.
>>>>>>>> How about we keep it as Nick Kunstek? Or has all this cheesesteak nonsense clouded your judgment?

From the video I saw, Stanich and Kunstek are nice prospects. Stanich hardly ever takes a backward step. Kunstek is physical. Have not seen Repos yet.
Figured I'd get an objection from some virtue signaler on the board. Maybe my judgment isn't too cloudy.

Oracle

Post by Oracle » Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:59 am

So it's virtue signaling to object to a ridiculous nickname for a recruit who is not even matriculated? You may find that clever, I find it in poor taste.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:08 pm

Nick Kunstek really had Joel Adams on the ropes --- Adams is obviously a high quality guy. Both Stanich and Kunstek are non-stop attackers. Stanich was pinned out of a scramble by a very savvy guy. Jax Forrest is really good, but Stanich was right there with him -- a real battle of styles from neutral, with each attempting to impose their will on the other: 2-on-1 vs. slide-by. Very entertaining. Unfortunately, each will have to develop other attacks at the next level because these moves will be scouted -- both will need to develop solid leg attacks to succeed at D1. IMO.
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:48 pm

Kunstek looked very good - especially for a high school junior. Looked stronger than most of his opponents, was really aggressive and appeared to be a kid who loves to wrestle.

Would like to have seen more of Repos but he was preempted by a higher ranked kid for most of the duals.
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:06 pm

Oracle wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:08 pm Nick Kunstek really had Joel Adams on the ropes --- Adams is obviously a high quality guy. Both Stanich and Kunstek are non-stop attackers. Stanich was pinned out of a scramble by a very savvy guy. Jax Forrest is really good, but Stanich was right there with him -- a real battle of styles from neutral, with each attempting to impose their will on the other: 2-on-1 vs. slide-by. Very entertaining. Unfortunately, each will have to develop other attacks at the next level because these moves will be scouted -- both will need to develop solid leg attacks to succeed at D1. IMO.
MH most agrees here. Stanich got caught in a scramble and pinned and there were some ridiculous scrambles before that one. In fact I was a little confused why he was given a TD in one of them. Wouldn’t mind seeing rematch with these two.
HFO

Post by HFO » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:20 am

whiz wit wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:53 am
Oracle wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:48 am
whiz wit wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:02 am Nick Cheesestek's only loss was to #3 Adams where was ahead 4-2 but gave up a takedown and 2 point near fall in the last half minute of the bout.
>>>>>>>> How about we keep it as Nick Kunstek? Or has all this cheesesteak nonsense clouded your judgment?

From the video I saw, Stanich and Kunstek are nice prospects. Stanich hardly ever takes a backward step. Kunstek is physical. Have not seen Repos yet.
Figured I'd get an objection from some virtue signaler on the board. Maybe my judgment isn't too cloudy.
Oracle can take the -un out of fun every time. What better name than the Cheesestek Kid. :-)
gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:33 pm

HFO wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:20 am Oracle can take the -un out of fun every time. What better name than the Cheesestek Kid. :-)
I tried calling McGonagle the New Hampster (similar to the Vermonster). For some reason he didn't approve!?
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:53 pm

Just watched Gabe Arnold vs Kingsley Menifee. Arnold, an Iowa recruit and ranked #5 IMO is over-rated. Arnold is powerfully built, albeit kinda squat, kinda quick, uses the under hook to get the legs, but is a poor finisher. He edged AJ Heeg earlier. I do recall Blair's Danny Wask (Navy recruit) beating him in OT last season. Both Heeg and Kingsley has nice upside. I'd be surprised if he starts for Iowa.
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:44 pm

One of the best ways to move up in hs polls is to commit to a Top10 wrestling program