Lehigh Sports Forum Fan Interest

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
George Porgie

Re: Lehigh Sports Forum Fan Interest

Post by George Porgie » Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:36 pm

legger wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:46 pm **** Agree 100%. Sterret has done little for wrestling.
I was in a meeting with Sterrett, I brought up the subject of the Lehigh Wrestling team, he sheepishly smiled and was appreciative of fan interest but kind of lumped it in with Tennis and Golf as a second rate sport so don't expect anything from that moron.

martinsilvestri

Post by martinsilvestri » Sun Dec 24, 2023 6:24 pm

George Porgie wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:36 pm
legger wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:46 pm **** Agree 100%. Sterret has done little for wrestling.
I was in a meeting with Sterrett, I brought up the subject of the Lehigh Wrestling team, he sheepishly smiled and was appreciative of fan interest but kind of lumped it in with Tennis and Golf as a second rate sport so don't expect anything from that moron.
Well maybe thats better than lumping it in with first rate sports like 2-8 basketball, 2-9 football, 3-10 soccer, or 24-26 baseball. :roll: Hoping for good change in 2024!
legger

Post by legger » Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:35 pm

**** Sterrett: Over Paid and Under Qualified. BTW Georgie, thanks for trying.
DF2002

Post by DF2002 » Mon Dec 25, 2023 12:36 am

George Porgie wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:36 pm

Someone please explain to me how our AD… the person in charge of our athletics… does NOT understand that wrestling is the only D1 sport in which we compete and have long standing success. What does it say about an AD when they dismiss your best D1 sport as inconsequential?

If I had to bet, Sterrett probably resented the fact that Lehigh Football never became the belle of the ball after the 77’ championship.

More and more it sounds like this moron has an axe to grind.
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Mon Dec 25, 2023 6:05 am

Maybe the AD is equity obsessed.
LUEngineer

Post by LUEngineer » Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:35 am

Equity obsessed has been the mantra at Lehigh since the 90’s and not just at AD level. The all sports are equal concept ignored Wrestling not being part of the Patriot league which gave it different standing for scholarships as an example.

We need to be on the alert for a move by Patriot League to rein in wrestling under its fold just like the Ivies just did.

Be Alert!!
1/2NELSON

Post by 1/2NELSON » Mon Dec 25, 2023 10:18 am

LUEngineer wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:35 am Equity obsessed has been the mantra at Lehigh since the 90’s and not just at AD level. The all sports are equal concept ignored Wrestling not being part of the Patriot league which gave it different standing for scholarships as an example.

We need to be on the alert for a move by Patriot League to rein in wrestling under its fold just like the Ivies just did.

Be Alert!!
Hate to see this pal, but ya might be on to somethin' ! :o
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Mon Dec 25, 2023 12:12 pm

During the early 90s (maybe 91 with no national qualifiers), Sterrett once said ~"I don't know what I am going to do about wrestling. Maybe move it to the ECC"~.

We need another AD like Gibney(wrestled in college. Springfield), but not super bipolar. Leckonby and whitehead were not wrestlers but big supporters. I think a couple of JW's sons wrestled in HS

So we need an AD who was at least a HS wrestler. I could take a female AD whose Father and Brothers were wrestlers. Either an assistant at D1, or a D2/3 AD of a very large and successful program.

Maybe Let ST become AD, but have Pat as a very strong assistant.
LU808

Post by LU808 » Mon Dec 25, 2023 2:34 pm

Sterrett was an egotistical dope back in 1974 as QB and sad to say, hasn't outgrown it.
Justafan

Post by Justafan » Mon Dec 25, 2023 10:19 pm

Does anyone truly know how the entire process works. I certainly don't but I am willing to take a stab at it.

I believe rightly or wrongly that the Administration provides a budget for the fiscal year. I suspect post-Covid, Athletics like many other departments have been shaved a bit. The University funds about 70% of said budget from tuition, endowment etc. The balance of the funding comes through gate receipts and fund-raisers. The money unless designated goes to the entire Athletic budget eg NCAA revenue from basketball.

This is where the AD really comes into play. His job is to allocate those funds among 23-24 sports while maintaining compliance to Patriot League/ EIWA regulations. This probably includes athletic scholarships, coaching salaries ,travel marketing and a whole host host of other areas.

The two big flies in the ointment are likely Title IX and the decision to fund football scholarships.

With that conjecture on the table, the conundrum is how do Joe/Sue please everyone?

For discussion purposes only.