Rankings Update: 6-Feb

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
mookie

Re: Rankings Update: 6-Feb

Post by mookie » Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:19 pm

You're limited to only one stupid question.

Oracle

Post by Oracle » Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:24 pm

Spladle1989 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:23 am
Lehigh89 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:16 am Thanks...so basically a kid like Seymour irrespective of his success/ranking knows no matter what should Luke be healthy has no chance of being in tourney...ouch. Credit to him i guess ..
yeah, doesn't always seem fair but that's wrestling.....even at the high school level in NY only one kid per weight per team can try to qualify for states......so if a team has the number 1 and number 2 kids say at 124 in the whole state one of them has to bump to 131 or cut to 116 to try to qualify

Same reason why McGonagle has been left without a chair at the moment the music stopped this year even though he was ranked 6th in the country at 133 early on...
>>>>>>>>< Not true for NY. Just this past year, Niagara Falls (your area) had the state champ at 126 in Jaden Crumpler and the 4th place finisher at 126 in Amarfio Reynolds -- both were seniors. Reynolds lost by a point in the semis or we would have seen both Niagara Falls guys in the finals.

Even when I competed in the 60s, you could enter up to 3 guys in the league championships (top 3 went to County/State qualifier.) However, only the winner went to states. That's changed now with wild cards.
gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:54 pm

Lehigh89 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:47 am Ok stupid question #2.... if only one guy per school per weight can qualify why doesn't a school like Lehigh who has a complete roster returning with multiple elite pieces just inundate their weaker weight class with transfers of high quality backups from schools like Penn St. with the promise of getting that chance to compete in the tourney..they have proof of concept in Beard.
I'm sure every other school in the country feels the same and I don't see a ton of transfer outs (Beard not included)
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:00 pm

Oracle wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:24 pm
Spladle1989 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:23 am
Lehigh89 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:16 am Thanks...so basically a kid like Seymour irrespective of his success/ranking knows no matter what should Luke be healthy has no chance of being in tourney...ouch. Credit to him i guess ..
yeah, doesn't always seem fair but that's wrestling.....even at the high school level in NY only one kid per weight per team can try to qualify for states......so if a team has the number 1 and number 2 kids say at 124 in the whole state one of them has to bump to 131 or cut to 116 to try to qualify

Same reason why McGonagle has been left without a chair at the moment the music stopped this year even though he was ranked 6th in the country at 133 early on...
>>>>>>>>< Not true for NY. Just this past year, Niagara Falls (your area) had the state champ at 126 in Jaden Crumpler and the 4th place finisher at 126 in Amarfio Reynolds -- both were seniors. Reynolds lost by a point in the semis or we would have seen both Niagara Falls guys in the finals.

Even when I competed in the 60s, you could enter up to 3 guys in the league championships (top 3 went to County/State qualifier.) However, only the winner went to states. That's changed now with wild cards.
wow, that's changed back fairly recently then because my son's team had that exact problem two years in a row .....makes sense with wrestling numbers being down in upstate NY........you could only enter 1 wrestler per team per weight for class tournament which was qualifier for sectionals to make states.....
Last edited by Spladle1989 on Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FloridaGuy

Post by FloridaGuy » Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:04 pm

>>>>>>>>>Lehigh89——-mookster was poking fun———There are no stupid questions. The transfer portal effectively provides student athletes with the same transfer options enjoyed by every college student.

Yes, Lehigh, and other programs, look for transfers that can help the team——it’s an integral part of recruiting.. It’s a double edged sword, however, as various programs have lost high quality starters to the transfer portal.

I believe the key is to maintain the chemistry of the team and develop your recruits while also bringing in select transfers. So far Lehigh has benefitted with three good transfers ( Beard, Samuelson and Mays)——- a few transfers a year may be the magic number for maintaining team chemistry.

The transfer portal has clearly aided top programs like psu, OkieSt, Mich and Iowa while hurting some better programs (Miinn) as well as weaker programs. It will also, over time, hurt the ivys and service academies that can’t utilize graduate transfers.
mh1

Post by mh1 » Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:46 pm

Double edged sword indeed. Take Oklahoma, last year when they were in Bethlehem they had 7 transfers in their starting lineup . I would think that might have pissed off a few recruits who had to sit a year or two. This year the Sooners are struggling and appear to be a program in flux.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:50 pm

You reap what ye sow...
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:02 pm

"I believe the key is to maintain the chemistry of the team and develop your recruits while also bringing in select transfers"

General Obvious at his finest. :D
JAD77

Post by JAD77 » Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:51 pm

Oracle wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:02 pm "I believe the key is to maintain the chemistry of the team and develop your recruits while also bringing in select transfers"

General Obvious at his finest. :D
Well I'm going to give Lehigh 89 an even more obvious answer - the transfers a) need to want to come to Lehigh, b) need to be accepted by admissions and c) there needs to be sufficient financial aid available and unaccounted for in order to make it attractive to them to come.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:05 pm

By golly, you're right! You were even more Obvious!!! But since you have no history, you can be Lt Colonel Obvious.

Let's face it, if an elite guy wants in and he can fog a mirror, he'll be accepted and given the aid he needs.