2nd CP and 1st RPI Rankings

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
jdalu75

2nd CP and 1st RPI Rankings

Post by jdalu75 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:51 am

Should be released on Thursday.

A post on the Intermat forums gave a link to a master schedule for the 2023-24 season. It's on the NCAA wrestling rules website and, although I check out that site often, I've never seen it before. Maybe the NCAA is making an effort to show more of the details. Anyway, here's the link: https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/champi ... meline.pdf

It's a bit sloppy. I'm still convinced that the 1st CP ranking was conducted prematurely -- what sense does it make for the coaches to rank on a Thursday, then release their rankings on the following Monday? It's never been done that way before. Then there's this curious sequence, the schedule for the NCAA tournament itself:

Mar. 21 DEADLINE - Replacements (time of weigh-ins).
Mar. 22 Session 1 (Noon ET) and Session 2 (7 p.m. ET).
Mar. 23 Session 3 (Noon ET) and Session 4 (8 p.m. ET).
Mar. 18 Session 5 (11 a.m. ET) and Session 6 (7 p.m. ET).
Mar. 21-23 Championships at T-Mobile Center, Kansas City

Kinda hard to wrestle Sessions 5 and 6 before Sessions 1-4.

Anyway, it looks to me like Stanich, Crookham, Hines, Brignola, Beard, and Taylor will all certainly earn pre-allocated spots. Kelvin Griffin is likely -- his Div I winning percentage is .692, so that's too low, but he's probably going to be Top 30 in both polls. I think Logan is unlikely, but he will probably have an RPI under 30 (his opponents have a combined winning percentage over .700) so it depends on what the coaches think. He'll have a decent shot at an at-large bid, in any event. Wilt has a shot at an RPI ranking, but he doesn't have the winning percentage needed and he won't receive a Top 30 CP ranking.

Seymour at 125 (14), Crookham (13), and Herceg don't have enough bouts to qualify for an RPI right now. Crookham won't need an RPI, Seymour might not depending on how high the coaches rank him if he winds up as our 125 entry; his winning percentage is solid.

The rankings that matter count bouts through 2/25 and will be released on 2/28 or 2/29. Thursday's rankings will give us an idea how things stand.

whiz wit

Re: 2nd CP and 1st RPI Rankings

Post by whiz wit » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:02 am

Is Stanich still eligible to redshirt? If so, how many more bouts does he have before the die is cast?
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:33 am

You're kidding, right? Anyone even considering red shirting a guy ranked #2 this late in the year is hard to fathom.....especially knowing he will never see 125 again.
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:38 am

Oracle wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:33 am You're kidding, right? Anyone even considering red shirting a guy ranked #2 this late in the year is hard to fathom.....especially knowing he will never see 125 again.
Doesn't make sense to me, either. But since JDA addressed Seymour's situation I thought it might still be an option staff were considering.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:41 am

I think if Stanich were not to wrestle the last two bouts, he could still Redshirt, but has his 15, 125 D1 Bouts. I think the only way he redshirts is if he gets injured in practiced before AzSU. or if he does not wrestle AzSU but gets injured before EIWA.

Crookham needs 1 bout to get to 15.

Seymour, on Wrestlestat shows 12-5 with one loss at 133 and 1 to D3 Champ (2 to different Penn guys and 1 to Harvard. But it show two victors over the same Rider guy at Princeton. Maybe the same bout.--- But Wrestling stats does show two bouts with Klinsky of Rider on the same day. (First win TF, Second SV) So I think he has the RPI. There are 2 Cornells ahead of him, and of course Stanich, effectively ranked 31. And with a win over Princeton he likely moves up a couple slots. If Luke were to redshirt I think SS qualifies the spot with wins in the last two duals.
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:20 am

Richb-3 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:41 am I think if Stanich were not to wrestle the last two bouts, he could still Redshirt, but has his 15, 125 D1 Bouts. I think the only way he redshirts is if he gets injured in practiced before AzSU. or if he does not wrestle AzSU but gets injured before EIWA.

Crookham needs 1 bout to get to 15.

Seymour, on Wrestlestat shows 12-5 with one loss at 133 and 1 to D3 Champ (2 to different Penn guys and 1 to Harvard. But it show two victors over the same Rider guy at Princeton. Maybe the same bout.--- But Wrestling stats does show two bouts with Klinsky of Rider on the same day. (First win TF, Second SV) So I think he has the RPI. There are 2 Cornells ahead of him, and of course Stanich, effectively ranked 31. And with a win over Princeton he likely moves up a couple slots. If Luke were to redshirt I think SS qualifies the spot with wins in the last two duals.
I figure the only way Seymour wrestles at EIWAs is if either Stanich or Crookham can't. He might earn a pre-allocated spot at 125, won't at 133. Stanich has wrestled in 5 varsity events, so he can still redshirt. He doesn't need an RPI to earn a pre-allocated spot.

Crookham is 13-0. Don't count the bout against McGonagle.

Seymour wrestled Klinsky twice at the Princeton Open. His record for RPI purposes is 11-3, .786 winning percentage.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:41 am

Why 11-3, does Klinsky only count once? I count 17, 1 against Johnson and Wales, 1 at 133. none vs a teammate.

I know Crookham (and Stanich had he not wrestled Bucknell) would qualify the weight, and themselves. But Like General Jack Ripper, I believe in Purity of Essence.
gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:58 am

Richb-3 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:41 am Why 11-3, does Klinsky only count once? I count 17, 1 against Johnson and Wales, 1 at 133. none vs a teammate.
He wrestled Smith at PU
Klinsky in first and last bouts
HFO

Post by HFO » Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:40 pm

jdalu75 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:51 am Should be released on Thursday.

A post on the Intermat forums gave a link to a master schedule for the 2023-24 season. It's on the NCAA wrestling rules website and, although I check out that site often, I've never seen it before. Maybe the NCAA is making an effort to show more of the details. Anyway, here's the link: https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/champi ... meline.pdf

It's a bit sloppy. I'm still convinced that the 1st CP ranking was conducted prematurely -- what sense does it make for the coaches to rank on a Thursday, then release their rankings on the following Monday? It's never been done that way before. Then there's this curious sequence, the schedule for the NCAA tournament itself:

Mar. 21 DEADLINE - Replacements (time of weigh-ins).
Mar. 22 Session 1 (Noon ET) and Session 2 (7 p.m. ET).
Mar. 23 Session 3 (Noon ET) and Session 4 (8 p.m. ET).
Mar. 18 Session 5 (11 a.m. ET) and Session 6 (7 p.m. ET).
Mar. 21-23 Championships at T-Mobile Center, Kansas City

Kinda hard to wrestle Sessions 5 and 6 before Sessions 1-4.

Anyway, it looks to me like Stanich, Crookham, Hines, Brignola, Beard, and Taylor will all certainly earn pre-allocated spots. Kelvin Griffin is likely -- his Div I winning percentage is .692, so that's too low, but he's probably going to be Top 30 in both polls. I think Logan is unlikely, but he will probably have an RPI under 30 (his opponents have a combined winning percentage over .700) so it depends on what the coaches think. He'll have a decent shot at an at-large bid, in any event. Wilt has a shot at an RPI ranking, but he doesn't have the winning percentage needed and he won't receive a Top 30 CP ranking.

Seymour at 125 (14), Crookham (13), and Herceg don't have enough bouts to qualify for an RPI right now. Crookham won't need an RPI, Seymour might not depending on how high the coaches rank him if he winds up as our 125 entry; his winning percentage is solid.

The rankings that matter count bouts through 2/25 and will be released on 2/28 or 2/29. Thursday's rankings will give us an idea how things stand.
A good find. Like a squirrel finding a pistachio. :-)
HFO

Post by HFO » Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:41 pm

whiz wit wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:38 am
Oracle wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:33 am You're kidding, right? Anyone even considering red shirting a guy ranked #2 this late in the year is hard to fathom.....especially knowing he will never see 125 again.
Doesn't make sense to me, either. But since JDA addressed Seymour's situation I thought it might still be an option staff were considering.
An option if a crazy season ending injury. Unfortunately, those do happen in the room.