BELIEVE IT OR NOT!!!

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
HFO

Re: BELIEVE IT OR NOT!!!

Post by HFO » Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:34 pm

The Kid wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:47 pm Penn State has become "Team America," with just three starters from PA. Maybe a lot of Big Ten schools are full of out-of-staters, but I always enjoyed seeing PA products at PSU. Just seems like an all-star team now.
And yet 2 of their NCAA Champions are from PA and have 5 titles and 6 NCAA appearances between them. Then you have freshman Kasak do the 7 in a row to finish 3rd.

FloridaGuy

Post by FloridaGuy » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:55 pm

>>>>>>> Cael recruited nationally at IowaSt and has continued recruiting nationally at psu for both hs and transfer recruits.
I’d like to see Lehigh broaden it’s recruiting horizons.
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:47 am

FloridaGuy wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:55 pm >>>>>>> Cael recruited nationally at IowaSt and has continued recruiting nationally at psu for both hs and transfer recruits.
I’d like to see Lehigh broaden it’s recruiting horizons.
We have a guy from Florida, we have an incoming recruit from Idaho, we were finalist in getting a kid from Arizona last year, we have a couple guys on our roster from California, we have a kid from Maine (who admittedly wrestled for a PA prep school) and NH (for the moment)......

To me are biggest problem is not being able to successfully recruit in the midwest (specifically Ohio and Illinois).......I think it would help if we could pluck a few gems from those two states to go with the random recruits we get from the west and our stable of NJ and PA guys......

But I'm sure the coaches try, just a tough area to recruit, lot of big time wrestling schools in vicinity....
1/2NELSON

Post by 1/2NELSON » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:41 am

mookie wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:12 pm Hopefully Lehigh put the 0-8 crew all in the same hotel room and sold their return tickets for cash.

Two in the double bed and two in roll away cots. Free breakfasts + a few buffets at the Golden Corral.

Re-entry into the Caruso Center dependent on being able to do 10 pull ups and bench their weight.

I enjoy the sarcastic WIT, and your sense-of-humor pal :o :? :lol:
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:00 am

FloridaGuy wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:43 pm >>>>>> MtnHawk and mookster back in their negative comfort zone.

Lehigh would only move up a notch or two in the team standings if all the 0-2 guys had all won a match and Taylor finished 7/8 th.
Ok so I guess it was a fantastically successful tournament despite being upset 12x and not having one ourselves (according to seeds) and sending 4 guys out for KC barbeque (3 of which have plenty of experience) on Thursday night.
Mountain Hawk lives in a state of reality. You are used to how the team used to perform and seem happy with that. Mountain Hawk saw the team "level up" during the season and EIWAs and was hoping for more of the same in KC. Didn't get it. That's fair. We had some high seeds but nobody met theirs. We had some lower seeds and they all got upset - some more than once - and were eliminated.

get real
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:12 am

To me, assessing the Nationals results involves comparing the results with reasonable expectations at the outset of the tournament, not at the outset of the season. If the latter were the methodology, the team would get an A. But with the proper analysis, I would give a grade in the range of D+ to a charitable C-.
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:18 am

Listen I enjoyed this season much more than I was expecting to......but agree with Whiz Wit and others, if you go into NCAA tournament by seed placing 4th and you end up 15th then it is difficult to say it was the ending to the season anyone hoped for 3 All Americans or not........
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:19 am

whiz wit wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:12 am To me, assessing the Nationals results involves comparing the results with reasonable expectations at the outset of the tournament, not at the outset of the season. If the latter were the methodology, the team would get an A. But with the proper analysis, I would give a grade in the range of D+ to a charitable C-.
watch out, old man Florida gonna come and try to sweep the leg!
martinsilvestri

Post by martinsilvestri » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:10 pm

whiz wit wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:12 am To me, assessing the Nationals results involves comparing the results with reasonable expectations at the outset of the tournament, not at the outset of the season. If the latter were the methodology, the team would get an A. But with the proper analysis, I would give a grade in the range of D+ to a charitable C-.
Well what I was saying in the other thread (about the season) is we should assess the season as-a-whole in terms of season-outset expectations. The team failed to meet its seeding expectations at the tournament, thats just a statistical fact. So we can say they underperformed at the tournament, although maybe there is some question if the seedings were based on enough evidence. Bigger picture for me is to reaffirm that the season is NOT just "practice for nationals" - and therefore still a good season.
The Kid

Post by The Kid » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:32 pm

Never intended this to be exclusive, but as a way of staying connected to the place the universities are located in. I fully agree with recruiting nationally and some of the Lehigh's best and most entertaining in recent years are from further afield, i.e. Humphreys, Hines, Bailey. I do think there is something to maintaining a connection with place though. It always seemed to me a good mix from East PA, NJ and the region, along with a few outstanding recruits from around the nation. Penn State seems the opposite with a few outstanding PA products, but otherwise an all-star team from around the nation. Seeing this in writing makes it seems weird to me too, but there was a local buzz about top recruits from Becahi, Notre Dame, etc., at Lehigh.