Over-Coaching?

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
LUEngineer

Re: Over-Coaching?

Post by LUEngineer » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:30 am

Maybe if ACC explodes as predicted by those on this forum with a couple wrestling programs leaving the EIWA becomes the remaining school home. Or they reach out to Lehigh/Army/Navy to be their 6th + schools to remain a qualifying league?

Without that EIWA is a joke.

HFO

Post by HFO » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:51 am

LUEngineer wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:30 am Maybe if ACC explodes as predicted by those on this forum with a couple wrestling programs leaving the EIWA becomes the remaining school home. Or they reach out to Lehigh/Army/Navy to be their 6th + schools to remain a qualifying league?

EIWA is a survivor and in this era that is a #1 attribute to have. Big 12 was almost non-existent a decade ago. Pac 12 is non-existent now. ACC potentially could be non-existent.

If there is a benefit of the EIWA, it is a qualifying conference for WRESTLING alone. It will survive. It will produce National Champions and All-Americans. The numbers may not be as large, but the league is the heart of wrestling country and it is incumbent of all the leagues coaches to improve their teams and land the Top 4 seniors in each weight class from NY, PA, NJ, MD, VA. I also think it would behoove each of these states to be like NJ and have a single tournament. This way coaches see the best talent from each state in a single tournament. They see where Fr, So, Jr, Sr are at on the level. You place Top 4 at any of these states in a single tournament as HS Junior, you will be heavily recruited by Lehigh and other EIWA colleges.
1/2NELSON

Post by 1/2NELSON » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:15 pm

HFO wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:51 am
LUEngineer wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:30 am Maybe if ACC explodes as predicted by those on this forum with a couple wrestling programs leaving the EIWA becomes the remaining school home. Or they reach out to Lehigh/Army/Navy to be their 6th + schools to remain a qualifying league?

EIWA is a survivor and in this era that is a #1 attribute to have. Big 12 was almost non-existent a decade ago. Pac 12 is non-existent now. ACC potentially could be non-existent.

If there is a benefit of the EIWA, it is a qualifying conference for WRESTLING alone. It will survive. It will produce National Champions and All-Americans. The numbers may not be as large, but the league is the heart of wrestling country and it is incumbent of all the leagues coaches to improve their teams and land the Top 4 seniors in each weight class from NY, PA, NJ, MD, VA. I also think it would behoove each of these states to be like NJ and have a single tournament. This way coaches see the best talent from each state in a single tournament. They see where Fr, So, Jr, Sr are at on the level. You place Top 4 at any of these states in a single tournament as HS Junior, you will be heavily recruited by Lehigh and other EIWA colleges.
NJ runs the best HIGH SCHOOL wrestling tournament in the Nation as far as I'm concerned having bore witness to over fifty-some. And it's ALL inclusive public/private, as the TEAM tournaments which separate the two, have already been decided prior to our SUPER-BOWL on the Boardwalk in Atlantic City.
HFO

Post by HFO » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:47 pm

1/2NELSON wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:15 pm
HFO wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:51 am

NJ runs the best HIGH SCHOOL wrestling tournament in the Nation as far as I'm concerned having bore witness to over fifty-some. And it's ALL inclusive public/private, as the TEAM tournaments which separate the two, have already been decided prior to our SUPER-BOWL on the Boardwalk in Atlantic City.
I concur and PA was similar until around 1973, but it did take until 70s to allow any Catholic schools in. Now even a few former Preps have migrated to PIAA like Milton Hershey School and Church Farm School. Would love to see PIAA to go single event for Olympic individual sports. Do you really need a 100m AA and a 100mm AAA champ? Same is true for wrestling. You can still keep team tournament based on population of school as small schools could have lower probability of having enough elite athletes. Not an issue with Becahi, ND-GP, Faith Christian, Bishop McCort.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:46 am

HFO wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:47 pm I concur and PA was similar until around 1973, but it did take until 70s to allow any Catholic schools in. Now even a few former Preps have migrated to PIAA like Milton Hershey School and Church Farm School. Would love to see PIAA to go single event for Olympic individual sports. Do you really need a 100m AA and a 100mm AAA champ? Same is true for wrestling. You can still keep team tournament based on population of school as small schools could have lower probability of having enough elite athletes. Not an issue with Becahi, ND-GP, Faith Christian, Bishop McCort.
I have long advocated, in Pa, team tournament with 3 public classifications, and 1 private, followed 3-4 weeks later by a single classification tournament. I also recognize that unlikely, so I think doubling student numbers for private schools more likely.

a single event for either Track or Swimming (both having 100M events) is less urgent because time is the measure.
HFO

Post by HFO » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:10 pm

Richb-3 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:46 am
HFO wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:47 pm I concur and PA was similar until around 1973, but it did take until 70s to allow any Catholic schools in. Now even a few former Preps have migrated to PIAA like Milton Hershey School and Church Farm School. Would love to see PIAA to go single event for Olympic individual sports. Do you really need a 100m AA and a 100mm AAA champ? Same is true for wrestling. You can still keep team tournament based on population of school as small schools could have lower probability of having enough elite athletes. Not an issue with Becahi, ND-GP, Faith Christian, Bishop McCort.
I have long advocated, in Pa, team tournament with 3 public classifications, and 1 private, followed 3-4 weeks later by a single classification tournament. I also recognize that unlikely, so I think doubling student numbers for private schools more likely.

a single event for either Track or Swimming (both having 100M events) is less urgent because time is the measure.
True to the extent of times, but when competition faces head to head, you typically see even better times and see who has the little bit extra.