Transfer portal

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Spladle1989

Re: Transfer portal

Post by Spladle1989 » Sat May 04, 2024 7:50 pm

If you’re that clueless not worth my time……the only reply to my post was the last paragraph , and that was either a piss poor attempt at humor or just a complete seperation from reality…. Either way, not a worthy debate opponent….

Justafan

Post by Justafan » Sat May 04, 2024 8:05 pm

Being a pompous a** is certainly not a good look either.
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Sun May 05, 2024 7:58 am

Lol, I’ll stand by my statements, name calling doesn’t alter their accuracy…..
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Sun May 05, 2024 9:09 am

IMO, what Justafan glosses over is the academic aspect of his argument. Who cares about what the other 80,000 alums think? I sure don't; most of them have their heads buried in their phones. We're discussing and debating the most effective way to re-build our wrestling program to top 10 prominence -- no small feat. Half measures won't cut it. Making academic excuses won't cut it. Like Pat Riley said: "You're either all-in or you're not. There is no half-way in."

No one is ignoring or discounting what the staff is currently doing. Has it been enough? Not in today's competitive environment. Lehigh has a 'good' team. A few outstanding individuals who need more quality line-up support in case one or more of them slips; like what happened to Taylor and Beard. Right now, the focus is on the portal and NIL. They are symbiotic for signing elite quality grad transfers. Offering the right grad program is not the critical node. Academics is not. Ask yourself: a guy hangs around for 6 years and either wants to become an AA (McG) or win the NCAAs (Cardenas,) do you honestly think his decision will be based primarily on the grad program being offered?

My guess (in order)
* Quality of work-out room partners and coaches at future destination
* Quality of conference competition to prepare for NCAAs
* NIL package
* Grad program

Justafan, in my view, is a good guy who does not see the playing field here like some others of us do. No harm in that.
martinsilvestri

Post by martinsilvestri » Sun May 05, 2024 9:12 am

Yeah we're on the same side here :D
In other news, filed under "trouble in paradise": Cohlton Schultz has entered the transfer portal, a day after Figueroa tweets the word "sellouts". Now parco and schultz both in portal as Sunkist kids apparently shutting down...
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Sun May 05, 2024 9:56 am

Oracle wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:09 am IMO, what Justafan glosses over is the academic aspect of his argument. Who cares about what the other 80,000 alums think? I sure don't; most of them have their heads buried in their phones. We're discussing and debating the most effective way to re-build our wrestling program to top 10 prominence -- no small feat. Half measures won't cut it. Making academic excuses won't cut it. Like Pat Riley said: "You're either all-in or you're not. There is no half-way in."

No one is ignoring or discounting what the staff is currently doing. Has it been enough? Not in today's competitive environment. Lehigh has a 'good' team. A few outstanding individuals who need more quality line-up support in case one or more of them slips; like what happened to Taylor and Beard. Right now, the focus is on the portal and NIL. They are symbiotic for signing elite quality grad transfers. Offering the right grad program is not the critical node. Academics is not. Ask yourself: a guy hangs around for 6 years and either wants to become an AA (McG) or win the NCAAs (Cardenas,) do you honestly think his decision will be based primarily on the grad program being offered?

My guess (in order)
* NIL package
* Grad program

Justafan, in my view, is a good guy who does not see the playing field here like some others of us do. No harm in that.
You can move NIL package right to the top of the list. We’re not in the game for the top guys.
HFO

Post by HFO » Sun May 05, 2024 12:10 pm

Justafan wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 9:36 am Pat has said several times that he far prefers to recruit and develop wrestlers but is not averse to going into the portal. However it needs to be the right fit, he says.

By that, he means not only weight class but academic qualification, course offerings and locker room fit. Those that major in recreation, parks and tourism management like Starocci, Kinesiology (Parco and Amine) and Sport and Exercise Science (Alirez) are very unlikely to be pursued. IMO.

It probably doesn't help that 2 of our last 4 transfers at Lehigh didn't make it past the 1st year. Yes, Lehigh remains an academic institution first.
Why? MBA does not discriminate by major? Master's in Management? Education degree? There are options.

Kinsiology and Sports & Exercise Science are areas of study in Health Population, there is at least one Professor at Lehigh in College of Health Population that has MS in Kinesiology and expert in sports science.

I suggest nobody at Lehigh be myopic until they actually talk to these athletes and express interest in them. It will take negotiation and then actually getting them into something they will have to actually do the work for 2 semesters at a minimum. I never considered anyone unlikely if they expressed interest in coming to Johns Hopkins. Gave each and every applicant the same fair consideration to be a Resident.
HFO

Post by HFO » Sun May 05, 2024 12:16 pm

Justafan wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 6:09 pm I have no idea what point either of you are making.

On one hand the outcry is that Lehigh is no longer the science based technical institution it once was. On the other hand, you complain because Lehigh with only about 7,000 undergrads and grads combined don't offer majors in sports management and kinesiology so that we can cram wrestlers where they don't belong.

Penn State and Michigan are very good schools but also very large institutions with a zillion potential majors. Not all of them transfer to Lehigh well. The large schools that now dominate the NCAA tournament have plenty of places to hide athletes. Lehigh, not so much. Is it a bad thing? IMHO, no.

The 10-20 posters here are passionate about wrestling. I get it. There are 80,000 Lehigh alumni and they also have different passions.

LUEngineer is absolutely correct, the Lehigh coaches are diligently pursuing options to fill in the holes in our lineups. There are some excellent candidates out there. Not everyone is a good fit. Be patient.

As for the Forbes list, It simply implies that Lehigh is not considered to be one of the top 18 schools in the country by some subjective parameter. Tell me what you think the reason is. Are you insinuating that Lehigh is not "conservative " enough to compare to the Ivies :-)
You look at Lehigh majors lately? We offer a BS in Health, Medicine and Society in Arts & Science and Community Health in College of Health Population. There are over 80 major and most are not pure mathematics, physics or computer science. There is fluff at Lehigh if that is one's endeavor.
HFO

Post by HFO » Sun May 05, 2024 12:21 pm

There are at least 60 graduate degree programs. Less fluff, but many grad assistant coaches historically enrolled in MBA, or now the option again of Master's in Management or School of Education, fewer into College of Engineering.

There are options for any college graduate with degree in hand for graduate school. The admission rate is high and the number of applicants for any program quite small. Lehigh MBA only gets about 100 applicants per year to attempt to admit 30 students. Financial Engineer gets about 50 applicants to attempt to admit about 20 per year. I can only imagine History, English, Political Science etc in College of Arts & Science. It ain't hard to get admitted to Lehigh grad schools.
ASU

Post by ASU » Sun May 05, 2024 2:53 pm

Oracle wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:09 am
My guess (in order)
* NIL package
* Grad program

As ASU is about to lose 4 top 5 guys, primarily NIL-related, I am going with...

1. NIL

2. everything else.