Transfer portal

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
legger

Re: Transfer portal

Post by legger » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:40 am

NothingMeaningful wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:35 pm
Oracle wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:54 pm 2 Freshman AAs is a huge accomplishment....notwithstanding NM's 'mine is bigger than yours' comment.
He asked a question, I answered it.
**** Every time Nothing Meaningful chooses to grace us with his "wisdom", proves the reality of his Screen Hame. His posts are aimed at: elevating Cornell and deflating Lehigh. I may be the only Lehigh Fan except Denny (RIP), who has had the "pleasure" of speaking with NM in person. Let me just say it was an experience not a pleasure.

whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:17 pm

The Cornell guys are probably greatly deflated over only having one Big Red going to the Olympics. Probably figured Arujau would be going and maybe Yanni. Lehigh also has one. Lol.
martinsilvestri

Post by martinsilvestri » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:44 pm

whiz wit wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:17 pm The Cornell guys are probably greatly deflated over only having one Big Red going to the Olympics. Probably figured Arujau would be going and maybe Yanni. Lehigh also has one. Lol.
Im actually disappointed about Yianni too. I always really liked the guy despite being at Cornell, but man has his freestyle career been a flop. I'm curious what's next for him, I know he's discussed mma...
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:04 pm

You should amend that to the last year and a half of his freestyle career.........the beginning was unbelievably good.......

Not sure if all the injuries are beginning to add up on him and take their toll, or if better "athletes" have started figuring out his style, which at times can be sloppy, but he was always a good enough wrestler/tactician to get through the sloppy moments.......

You wonder if many of the new wave of wrestlers who are so good so early will peak when they are 22-24 years old.......so much mat time/wrestling so young that their bodies will begin to break down earlier........
NothingMeaningful

Post by NothingMeaningful » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:49 pm

martinsilvestri wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:44 pm
whiz wit wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:17 pm The Cornell guys are probably greatly deflated over only having one Big Red going to the Olympics. Probably figured Arujau would be going and maybe Yanni. Lehigh also has one. Lol.
Im actually disappointed about Yianni too. I always really liked the guy despite being at Cornell, but man has his freestyle career been a flop. I'm curious what's next for him, I know he's discussed mma...
I'm sure he just tossed into the garbage that World Silver medal, him being such a flop and all.
martinsilvestri

Post by martinsilvestri » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:58 pm

NothingMeaningful wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:49 pm
I'm sure he just tossed into the garbage that World Silver medal, him being such a flop and all.
Maybe you didn't expect any further success from him like I did. They can't all be transcendental talents.
HFO

Post by HFO » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:32 pm

whiz wit wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:28 pm
HFO wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:55 am Go after Kyle Parco at 149/157 or not worth it? :lol:
Is #3 guy good enough or should we see how the room develops?
Parco was a wrestling club teammate of Bailey in California and I believe Bailey's dad was a coach there. I also believe Yozzo was connected to that club/family and that's how Bailey wound up at Lehigh.
Indeed. A Los Gatos, CA family. We shall see.
HFO

Post by HFO » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:14 pm

Justafan wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:11 pm HFO...thank you for your post and a bit of nostalgia.

I want to infuse a bit of optimism. I am very cautiously optimistic about the new President. He will not fulfill every requirement for everybody but he has already checked a lot of boxes IMO.

The 46% acceptance # everyone alludes to was during COVID. The landscape has changed significantly since then. Two years ago, there were approx 15K applications, last year, there were 18K, this year the # is about 21K. Of course the acceptance rate is contingent on applications. Research dollars increased 35% in JH's 1st year. Lehigh's overall ranking has gone from #50 to #47. Civil Engineering is ranked #2 in at least 1 publication.

Lehigh still has a PR problem in the middle of the country, but Lehigh is preparing to launch a satellite location in TX, based on our success in California.

Please keep in mind that wrestling is not the #1 goal on Lehigh's agenda as most posters demand but it is a means to the end which is to establish Lehigh as a top National University.

I remain optimistic.
Not optimistic on Heble at all. Activist to have him removed. +35% from a ridiculously low previous number for research dollars. Citations of Lehigh profs are in the not relevant range in rankings of total citations and professor specific over previous 5 years. Don't know what publication your refer to but QS Global Rankings has Civil about 200 in the world down from 100. QS is highly regarded. Only other ranked area was Physics at 500 in world. #47 US News. #99 Economics. #53 Undergrad Engineering. US New Global University #97, Civil #172, Engineering overall #490, #514 Chemistry. Niche Rankings Civil Engineering #71. #23 Accounting & Finance.

17% of student body is now International.

Undergraduates. 2023 Grads.
Most Popular Majors
Finance
203 Graduates
Computer Science
103 Graduates
Mechanical Engineering
95 Graduates
Accounting
73 Graduates
Marketing
69 Graduates
Information Technology
59 Graduates
Managerial Economics
59 Graduates

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/
Low scores for teaching, research, citations. #61 US college, +600 Global

US News #25 of schools within 250 miles of Bethlehem, PA for graduate engineering, #18 of grad business schools within 250 miles of Bethlehem, PA.

We aren't chopped liver, but we ain't stellar anymore in about anything. Half the graduating class is graduating with highly marketable undergraduate degrees and finding employed at a good rate at generally higher than national average due to NYC/Boston placements.

Again, the is nothing to write home about Heble. He is closer to the way out than ever being extended.
HFO

Post by HFO » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:37 pm

Oracle wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:37 am All true. Everything LUEngineer says. Oh, but if it were so when it comes to selling the uniqueness of the program.

IMO, Pat and his staff do a great job with what they have. Truly remarkable in fact. Many have developed nicely. But not enough.

But after seeing the list and understanding the Power these Schools have in terms or resources (money) et al, 'selling our brand' is more a notion than a reality. N- I - L >>>> when you talk about landscape, it starts with recruiting and recruiting starts with NIL these days. Is FL Guy right? Should the funds come from LVWC? Maybe. Ideally, there are enough Angel Investors to fund Lehigh's wrestling NIL collective separately from the RTC. It'll take $500K a year *minimum* to get back into the top 10. IMO.
$500k per year is 20x that for a sustainable endowment dedicated to just wrestling alone for NIL. Not that NIL collectives are structured that way, but every year you have to find that $500k. Are there some Lehigh alumni with businesses that could potential leverage a wrestling athlete NIL, I suppose. Hotel Bethlehem stepped up to make it happen LUEngineer. The Oberkotter/Harmon daughters have kept Lehigh and wrestling in general part of their charitable giving. For anyone who does not know, their grandfather and granduncle were CEO of UPS and employees #6 or #7. When UPS went public, because of Employee Stock Ownership prior and their longevity, they both became the largest and second largest individual shareholders of UPS stock. The one brother died and his primary foundation has to do with deafness. The other foundation is the one Linny Fowler and John Harmon's wife controlled. They were very kind to the Lehigh Valley including their alma mater Cedar Crest College, Lehigh Valley Childcare, Northampton Community College, Lehigh University where both their husbands were Class of 1959 grads and of course Lehigh Wrestling and Lehigh Valley Wrestling Club.

Roger Penske stepping up or Scott Belair who recently bought an old Saucon Valley grand estate are potentials, but again, it has to make sense for their businesses. Scott has funded the Mountain Top Campus initiatives whether you agree or not agree, but he has put forward $25 million+ for that.

NIL is achievable at Lehigh and the structures for supporting Lehigh Wrestling are there. If anyone knows how to PIN my previous posts on how to give to all these entities and their links. Feel free to get it done or even write HTML/CSS webpage for one source charitable giving for Lehigh Wrestling.

It took me a few years just to get comfortable on a computer and doing open source intelligence. I sure as heck cannot code. I can do pretty good math still, but I cannot code.

For sure, Lehigh is going in the right direction. However, things need to be tweaked here and there. It starts with AD and admission policy changes. Then it is about raising money for wrestling athletes directly. Lehigh could go a long way just paying $5,980 per year as a reward for academic performance under the Alston Ruling to all 10 starters. This can come direct from the university under NCAA rules, but even that is in works of changing based on Dec 2023 initiative of NCAA President to allow for something like league scholarship bundles for each team that can then be dispersed as cash payments to athletes as academic reward/stipends.

It is a brave new world. The buckets of money and where you have to raise them are all over the place. Each entity has potential tax ramifications, Boards, agendas, amount of money, what is expected in the relationship. It is pretty much the wild west. It will favor the early entrants, deep pockets and opportunists.

As an old guy, loved Norm McDonald and Will Ferrell from Saturday Night Live and their skits.

George Porgie

Post by George Porgie » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:06 am

HFO wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:14 pm
Justafan wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:11 pm HFO...thank you for your post and a bit of nostalgia.

I want to infuse a bit of optimism. I am very cautiously optimistic about the new President. He will not fulfill every requirement for everybody but he has already checked a lot of boxes IMO.

The 46% acceptance # everyone alludes to was during COVID. The landscape has changed significantly since then. Two years ago, there were approx 15K applications, last year, there were 18K, this year the # is about 21K. Of course the acceptance rate is contingent on applications. Research dollars increased 35% in JH's 1st year. Lehigh's overall ranking has gone from #50 to #47. Civil Engineering is ranked #2 in at least 1 publication.

Lehigh still has a PR problem in the middle of the country, but Lehigh is preparing to launch a satellite location in TX, based on our success in California.

Please keep in mind that wrestling is not the #1 goal on Lehigh's agenda as most posters demand but it is a means to the end which is to establish Lehigh as a top National University.

I remain optimistic.
Not optimistic on Heble at all. Activist to have him removed. +35% from a ridiculously low previous number for research dollars. Citations of Lehigh profs are in the not relevant range in rankings of total citations and professor specific over previous 5 years. Don't know what publication your refer to but QS Global Rankings has Civil about 200 in the world down from 100. QS is highly regarded. Only other ranked area was Physics at 500 in world. #47 US News. #99 Economics. #53 Undergrad Engineering. US New Global University #97, Civil #172, Engineering overall #490, #514 Chemistry. Niche Rankings Civil Engineering #71. #23 Accounting & Finance.

17% of student body is now International.

Undergraduates. 2023 Grads.
Most Popular Majors
Finance
203 Graduates
Computer Science
103 Graduates
Mechanical Engineering
95 Graduates
Accounting
73 Graduates
Marketing
69 Graduates
Information Technology
59 Graduates
Managerial Economics
59 Graduates

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/
Low scores for teaching, research, citations. #61 US college, +600 Global

US News #25 of schools within 250 miles of Bethlehem, PA for graduate engineering, #18 of grad business schools within 250 miles of Bethlehem, PA.

We aren't chopped liver, but we ain't stellar anymore in about anything. Half the graduating class is graduating with highly marketable undergraduate degrees and finding employed at a good rate at generally higher than national average due to NYC/Boston placements.

Again, the is nothing to write home about Heble. He is closer to the way out than ever being extended.
I had a meeting with him. He's a smiley face. No problems here.