Transfer portal

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Mountain Hawk

Re: Transfer portal

Post by Mountain Hawk » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:21 pm

Can't wait to hit this thread up on April Fools day.

FloridaGuy

Post by FloridaGuy » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:49 am

>>>>>>>>>Good info on NCAA points earned by transfers on Flo ( don’t think it’s paywalled)

Bottom line——the rich get richer———the three teams with the highest NCAA points from transfers are psu, Mich and Iowa. Mich and Iowa with most of their points from transfers while psu generated over 100 points sans transfers and would still comfortably win the team title.

No surprise that the Ivys and service academies earned no points from transfers.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:09 am

I would agree with "the rich get richer" -- PSU is more of a magnet these days. Iowa and Michigan are Big 10 so there's that. Sean Bormet seems to have a very successful template in place.

Why Lehigh fans hope and wish for every big name that enters the portal at weights we need help is curious. For example, if we didn't recruit Dean Hamiti out of high school, why would he been interested in us now? No prior relationship. Lehigh's chances on these whales aren't zero, but they are low percentage. We recruited Beard so no big mystery there. Samuelson was the result of ZRey being on top of it -- he was not an elite guy, but he did win the EIWAs and filled a hole rather nicely. Point there was Samuelson was not Hamiti in terms of quality.

FL Guy is right: grow your own talent. If we get an organic elite transfer, that's great. We picked up Mays last year -- he fits what I'm talking about. Crookham, Stanich, Taylor -- these guys have shown Lehigh is a real program. They will attract others, just like Caruso did back in the 60s, like Burley did, like Trenge and Letters did.

BTW, I'm not saying *not* to recruit Hamiti. By all means yes. Just don't moan if he doesn't come on board.
martinsilvestri

Post by martinsilvestri » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:40 pm

Chase Saldate 157 of MSU had entered portal with one more year. From Gilroy CA - no connection I'm aware of but #15 might be right in the zone for him. Max is good at 157 but if one could go up this could be a viable call.
Asa Packer

Post by Asa Packer » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:37 pm

Two NitLions that may not fit back in line-up, and hence transfer candidates, are Facundo and Barraclough. Facundo from MI and a parks and recreation major. Barraclough from Utah and biomedical encineering major. Not sure if we recruited either but Barraclough has major that fits.
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:45 pm

George Porgie wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:50 pm McGonigle is in it. So is Dean Hamiti.
Ham Man to Okla State.
Justafan

Post by Justafan » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:58 pm

I'm certainly not making any recommendations but Brock McMillen (157) intrigues me a bit primarily because I am from PA and his career in HS and perhaps college may reflect that of Thayne Lawrence.

He too came from a very small school (Glendale) of about 50-70 per class. He was 148-6 in HS finishing PA AA 2,1,1,1.
Glendale didn't wrestle in any showcase tournaments but McMillan won Flonationals in 2018. He is at Pitt, in the portal but apparently has been battling injuries. Perhaps may be suffering from HEW by this point but points out how big of a crapshoot recruiting can be.
mh1

Post by mh1 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:37 pm

JAF,

I believe Dubler is from Glendale. Have you seen him wrestle?
Justafan

Post by Justafan » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:04 pm

Good catch. I knew Dubler was from that general area but didn't realize he also went to Glendale.

Zeke's dad was Brock's coach. So there is that connection too.

I found this interesting article on Brock in HS and his health problems

https://www.altoonamirror.com/sports/lo ... dition/BTW, to answer your question, I'm from the Lehigh Valley so I never saw him wrestle but did check on his career after winning his 2nd title.
George Porgie

Post by George Porgie » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:06 pm

Justafan wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:42 pm Yes, it's him. He was always sort of an enigma. An absolute stud in HS but also the consummate tweener. He did his wresting at 220 but at the time was rumored to go 197 based on the Pan Am games I think. By now, he is too big for 197 and likely too small for 285 but who knows.

Does anyone know exactly how hard we chase transfers. I believe Beard came to us first. I don't remember Samuelson nor Mays showing up on the portal and certainly not in any discussion until they arrived. I always thought that the lure was the academics and wrestling was a means to that end.

Just my opinion.

The combination of wrestling and academics is what we have to offer. I wouldn't come here to solely be a Gold medal Olympian. While possible, the big things about Lehigh are alumni interest, quality education and participation in a high level collegiate wrestling program. That's how we approach music students. You can get a great education while participating in a music program that rivals many conservatories, maybe not Julliard or Curtis, but when you graduate you can get a job.