Columbia Head Coach Opening

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
whiz wit

Re: Columbia Head Coach Opening

Post by whiz wit » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:05 am

Good luck finding a high quality head coach in this atmosphere.

legger

Post by legger » Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:57 pm

whiz wit wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:51 am Way past time to break out the tear gas at Columbia.
**** Agree and arrest those who take over buildings, take away their scholarships if they are students and keep those not students in jail. I lived through a college campus partly taken over by Leftists in 1969 at the UMD. I was a Business Student there and was harassed by an SDS member in class. I kept moving my seat and the Instructor asked me why? I answered there is a Leftist who keeps trying to recruit me, for the SDS right in the middle of class. Also I have been tear gassed. My Marketing Instructor moved our Final Exam to 6:00 pm in another building to try to give us some peace from the demonstrators. Unfortunately the National Guard thought us students there to take the exam, were demonstrators trying to take over a building and gassed the building while we were taking our Final. Then we were gassed again when we left the building. Mistakes happen, but I have Zero Tolerance for campus demonstrators, especially those that are not students.
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:52 pm

Counting all the grad students Columbia has about 37k students. 13k of them here on some form of foreign visa. 6500 are Chinese nationals in the grad school.
Mass expulsions, pull the visas for foreigners involved and send them home.

Honestly the entire silo of academia is deeply infected with radicalized Marxists - professors certainly included.
Justafan

Post by Justafan » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:59 pm

Please just stop
HFO

Post by HFO » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:05 pm

ngineer wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:53 pm
whiz wit wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:54 pm
Oracle wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:31 pm Really? When you get to that level of excellence, it can hardly be regarded as a step down.

The way I always heard it was Stanford out west, Notre Dame in the middle and Harvard back east.
Had no idea N.D. was so selective. But without looking it up, I would have guessed U of Chicago for the middle. And, indeed, they're way up there.
My thoughts exactly. Chicago has very elite academic reputation. ND is excellent, but not elite.
Times have changed. Notre Dame does reach down a little bit in SAT range, but upper range not significantly different than Chicago or even MIT. Notre Dame does obviously have "special class" admission across a number of categories other than athletics. Given the size of their athletic department and then other students whether band, performing arts, religious studies, it easily could explain reaching "down" to a 1420 for a 25th percentile admission.

Notre Dame Acceptance Rate 13%. SAT Range 1420 - 1550. 25th percentile to 75th percentile.
U of Chicago. Acceptance Rate 7%. SAT Range 1510 - 1560. 25th percentile to 75th percentile.

#1 in many rankings for undergrad. MIT Acceptance Rate 5%. SAT Range 1520 - 1580 25th percentile to 75th percentile.

Lehigh Acceptance Rate 37%. SAT Range 1340-1490 25th to 75th percentile.

Make no mistake about it. Notre Dame is Elite. Ranks very high in NACUBA Endowment Fund size and growth each year. In many ways, Notre Dame is superior to University of Chicago as a place to study. Not in all fields, but in some, plus the neighborhood is better and on campus life is much better at Notre Dame.
HFO

Post by HFO » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:09 pm

Justafan wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:40 pm Just thinking about Chris and the Princeton program.

Have they really been successful? They have a huge advantage in mystique. Reportedly, 100% of the demonstrated financial need of every student is met by grants. 83% of recent seniors graduated with no debt. I'm certain that athletes are not required to meet the same rigorous academic standards as other applicants.

In spite of all that, Princeton has gone 93-168 in Chris's 16 years and has never finished higher than 3rd in the EIWA.
He has however managed to recruit 3 very blue chip recruits in Kolodzik, Glory, and Monday who provided the vast bulk of All-American in his tenure there.

Don't get me wrong. Chris is a great guy and was a fine wrestler at Lehigh. It just appears that it takes more than just some systemic changes to compete in today's environment.

Just my opinion
What he had to start with at Princeton to what it became was monumental. I don't thing they had an elite wrestler than since PA Johnny Orr. It was a perpetual loser in a big way. Chris made it competitive and produced an NCAA Champ. There are coaches who go their entire career without producing an NCAA Champ.

Stanford is great, but given the coaches who go through there, the common reason they leave is CANNOT AFFORD TO LIVE THERE. Maybe Stanford provides housing now or has a package for Chris, but given the incomes of Silicon Valley it is near impossible even for college professors to afford to live anywhere near Palo Alto.
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:22 pm

Justafan wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:59 pm Please just stop
Had you pegged as somehow part of the admin from the beginning. Truth hurts. Whole world watching our "most elite institutions" reveal themselves.
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:28 pm

I'd also put Northwestern significantly ahead of Notre Dame.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/ra ... tance-rate
HFO

Post by HFO » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:30 pm

Absolutely no problem legally if an entrant on a student visa commits a crime that they are deported. At least J1 or F1 visa are vetted. Columbia has a big problem on their hand and the lack of leadership to solve it. Needs a President change and Board of Trustees change. On we go...the reality of the situation is apparent nationwide. Nothing new, the Marxist reveal themselves every 30 years or so with a push since the 1880s. I have lived through it now 4 cycles. Each time, history is taught on how destructive it is to the human condition. Sometimes wars are fought over it. In the end, humanity comes to its senses.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:33 pm

Mountain Hawk wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:22 pm
Had you pegged as somehow part of the admin from the beginning. Truth hurts. Whole world watching our "most elite institutions" reveal themselves.

>>>>>>>> Justafan a tad sensitive to common sense remedies. The lack of these obvious remedies is why this behavior is out of control. IMO. Or should I say "I'm thinking out of the box?"