Some walking wounded are back!

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
RichH

Re: Some walking wounded are back!

Post by RichH » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:50 pm

ngineer wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:46 pm Several are also going to be going up to the Scuffle and possibly a couple to Midlands. Good time to be taking stock as to who was serious over break. I would love to see a healthy Parker rejoin us, but concerned that may not occur.
I had the impression we were passing on the Midlands this year. No??

ngineer

Post by ngineer » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:09 pm

As a team, yes. But, I heard that we might send a few (2-3) out to Midlands.
mookie

Post by mookie » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:11 pm

Tough series of duals in Florida.
Last edited by mookie on Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RichH

Post by RichH » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:58 pm

Geez mookie, not only were you wrong but you are terminally stuck in negative.
Injuries have decimated the team. We got most back. Parker looks done for the year. NCar was a W but went L with 2 injury defaults. Solid beatdown of Virginia. We will have a lousy dual record but if we can get fully healthy we will have a very good March.Fingers crossed.
mookie

Post by mookie » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:30 am

Not negative , mostly realistic.
Last edited by mookie on Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:03 am

RichH wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:58 pm Geez mookie, not only were you wrong but you are terminally stuck in negative.
Injuries have decimated the team. We got most back. Parker looks done for the year. NCar was a W but went L with 2 injury defaults. Solid beatdown of Virginia. We will have a lousy dual record but if we can get fully healthy we will have a very good March.Fingers crossed.
Will be interesting to find out how bad Karam and Humphreys are hurt. we are thin, now, at 157 and 165. Kids came close to knocking off Mizzou and UNC was a win without the defaults. Injuries certainly higher than usual this year, though Schram and Parker were preseason issues. Looking across the country, a lot of teams having starters going down. I really think part of the problem is that the kids are over exposing their bodies to too much stress. They are wrestling all damn year long. It wasn't that way a few decades ago. Maybe a dozen dual meets at the most and hardly any of these various tournaments....IMO, we are sacrificing the welfare of the wrestlers for the almighty dollar. Same at the high school level. Years ago, most wrestlers played football or ran XC in the fall, some did track and field in the spring or baseball. Different muscles, movements and conditioning. Now, it's 24/7 wrestling. The joints can only take so much repetitive torque and stress. I think the entire sport needs to step back and rethink what it is doing.

That off my chest, looking ahead, we still have a reasonable shot at winning or .500 season. Cornell and others have had some injury issues, so I see us with a shot of winning most of the remaining matches with toss ups with Cornell, ASU, VaTech, and OSU. We should be favored in the others. Of course, all is dependent on who is available to be out on the mat.
RichH

Post by RichH » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:05 pm

Agreevon over wrestling as primary cause of a daft on injuries throughout the sport. I know it goes back to the dawn of time but, I lived with wrestlers. Other than normal fitness routines, no mat time from April thru August. Nowadays, there is virtually no downtime. We should wrestle the best opponents that we can. Steel sharpens steel. That said bodies need time to heal from the rigors of the sport at our level. That and a focused training progam will be the best method to avoid injuries. You cant avoid all injuries in wrestling but you can limit them and the seriousness of some particularly muscle fiber.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:02 pm

From what I heard, we do have conditioning and weight training coaches and our PT trainers are excellent. Jack Foley has worked miracles over the years. I know there have been some rules changes directed at 'funk' wrestling, which can be a cause for elevated injuries, since that calls for twisting legs/arms from unusual and unconventional positions. Referees also have to be tuned in as to what is happening on the mat so that the 'potentially dangerous hold' does not come to fruition.
mookie

Post by mookie » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:31 pm

Bucknell up next then Cornell. Reasonable shot at beating the Bison, no chance against Cornell.
Last edited by mookie on Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:37 am

Yes, Scott is done and on to his next career. His injuries similar to Minotti's a few years ago. Can't blame him. He's a 2x AA and now has confirmed job in NYC. There is hope that young Parker may return next year, but can bank on that. Need to reload at the lightweights. Tough to recruit with an eye toward how big someone will be in another year. It was hoped Farro and/or Paetzel would replace Cruz, but both up to 133. Lane and Reznik are 'works in progress'. "Great Expectations"--would make a good title for a book. Still, we still have chance to have several on the podium in Pittsburgh, assuming health: Karam, Kutler, Preisch and Wood. I also see points contributors by Farro/Paetzel, Humphreys, Wolf and Jakosbsen/Gentile. It appears Walter may have same issues as Schram and I would be surprised we see him anymore this year...could also be done depending on severity.