[LehighSports] Mountain Hawks to host two ranked foes in weekend duals

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
News
Site Admin

[LehighSports] Mountain Hawks to host two ranked foes in weekend duals

Post by News » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:51 am

BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Winners of five straight duals, Lehigh returns to Leeman-Turner Arena to host a pair of nationally-ranked opponents as the Mountain Hawks welcome No. 23 Arizona State Saturday night and No. 12 Virginia Tech Sunday afternoon. Lehigh posted road wins at American and Navy last weekend to run its winning streak to five, as the Mountain Hawks returned to the national rankings at No. 24 following a three week hiatus. The Mountain Hawks' current winning streak has been paced by a group of five that includes seniors Cortlandt Schuyler, Gordon Wolf and Ryan Preisch, plus junior Jordan Kutler and sophomore Jordan Wood. In Lehigh's current five dual winning streak, that group has combined to go 22-0 with 13 bonus wins.

Source: https://lehighsports.com/news/2019/1/24 ... duals.aspx

ngineer

Re: [LehighSports] Mountain Hawks to host two ranked foes in weekend duals

Post by ngineer » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:33 pm

Will be interesting to see if Jakobsen goes, or Weiler or Gentile--or is he hurt, too? ASU is a toss-up to me. Va.Tech we're underdogs, but with a couple flips could pull the upset.
RichH

Post by RichH » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:03 pm

Surprising so little comment as yet over on wrestlingreport.
This season will forever be none as the MASH year. The depth and extent of injured wrestlers is stunning.
Realistically dont see much chance vs VaTech. A real maybe. ASU looks more within our current capability.
My bet Jakobsen goes. :D
RichH

Post by RichH » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:59 pm

:oops: Well, I am glad Weiler went. He does love his cradle. I can see why. :D
A very nice W for Lehigh tonight.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:41 pm

Yes, he brought the house down, or up with a huge roar. Undersized by at least 10 lbs and 5 inches, that is no easy feet to cradle. Humphreys also with an impressive win over #13 guy and Wolf taking #5 ranked wrestler to the limit, losing 7-6. A lot of hard wrestling.

Things get harder tomorrow with #12 Va. Tech Hokies at 2 p.m. Hope Kutler injury not serious.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:42 pm

RichH wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:03 pm Surprising so little comment as yet over on wrestlingreport.
This season will forever be none as the MASH year. The depth and extent of injured wrestlers is stunning.
Realistically dont see much chance vs VaTech. A real maybe. ASU looks more within our current capability.
My bet Jakobsen goes. :D
Jake's condition a bit more 'involved', medically. Hopefully, he can continue this year. Nothing definitive, yet.
RichH

Post by RichH » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:46 pm

Thankd n. We're going to hold our wghts and get some upsets tomorrow.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:55 pm

Unfortunately, the team, especially the lightweights, looked like they were hung over from the night before. No aggressiveness, not shooting--I don't count half-hearted reaches for the knee a shot. Pat was visibly upset afterward in the interview about the lack of effort. There were some highlights, though, as Humphries is showing himself to be as advertised and has the ability to make some noise come tournament time. Kutler showed a lot of heart going out there with a bum elbow from Saturday night and knocking off the #6 guy in the country. Showed me a lot. Sorry to see Wolf not go at 165, which unfortunately left us with a big mismatch. Wolf may not have won, but with his style and non-stop effort, one never knows.Preisch was right there with Zavotsky at the end. Any time they meet it can go either way. Weiler outsized and out gunned. Hopefully, he can beef up a bit. He may be the man the rest of the way at 197. No idea what's wrong with Gentile. He was having a great season until late December. Wood won a tough bout. Guy stayed away from him and can only counter. So not a surprising outcome, but the way the lightweights seemed lethargic. They can still finish .500. Heavy underdogs at Okie State, but Oklahoma is winnable, as are Army and Penn. So a 9-9 record considering the horrific start with the injuries is not bad. Guys need to start peaking this final month before EIWA's. Depending on how many slots the EIWA will get to NCAA's, I can see us sending 8 at best to Pittsburgh: 133, 149, 157, 165, 174, 184, 197, 285. I would hope for 3-4 Eastern champs, but hopefully, 8 guys on the upper levels of the podium.
RichH

Post by RichH » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:59 pm

It does seem very similar to last weekend. Hopefully lightweights will figure out how to wrestle both matches.