Reduce COVID impact - go DII or DIII

Anything we're missing?
TMH

Re: Reduce COVID impact - go DII or DIII

Post by TMH » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:24 pm

Does anyone know what the benefit of expanding the Patriot League is...either just football or all sports. I'll assume there is money involved to enter the league and also to contribute to the annual costs of running the operation. Is it material?

The downside to me at least is another obstacle to making the NCAA Tournament and the loss of flexibility in scheduling.

Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:17 pm

I thought adding Loyola was a bad idea. I don't think they are an academic peer, to the others, they are not rated as a national university. It would have been ok if it was a one sport thing, Only reason was that they won one NCAA Lax Title. Obviously a team with Football would have been better for an all sports

I do think there are scheduling advantages for football to have an even number of teams, I guess I don't like the fact that one of 5 PL teams can be packing their gear for the winter, when we have a little thing called Lehi-Laf..

I guess Duquesne would be a better option, and certainly Nova. How about if The Pioneer goes to the spring we give them a one year guest membership, That might benefit the Pioneer, a little less flying. PatL teams could probably, in the spring, open with an Ivy, then do a round robin
RichH

Post by RichH » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:01 pm

The major downside to PL football with 7 teams is scheduling according to Sterrett.. Looking for 5 OOC games every year is difficult. I dont see many all sport candidates for us. Duquesne likely the best option and it has inquired about membershio altho only for football.
Nova UR W&M would be ideal but there is no incentive for any to move nor do we offer an equal competitive field in football.
van

Post by van » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:14 pm

although UR and W&M are both desirable, I don't see them leaving CAA in all sports and doubt the CAA wants them if they come for FB only, Nova the best fit for FB only, if they would only have interest, sigh