Injuries

Anything we're missing?
Sundayamqb

Injuries

Post by Sundayamqb » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:32 pm

Is it just me, or does there seem to be an unusual number of serious injuries in Lehigh sports programs?

I'm think especially of the ones I follow: wrestling, football and basketball.

Two injury defaults today in wrestling. ... in one match. Has that happened before?

Something unusual up or ????

Richb-3

Re: Injuries

Post by Richb-3 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:16 pm

According to DennyDiehls newsletter, which you should subscribe to, The one time it happened before was national duals 2002, against Oklahoma. Hwt Shawn Laughlin, actually came back a week later.

Mike Pirozzola also defaulted that day. He attempted a comeback about a month later, lost two, and never recovered. Although he had been 10-5 prior to that day, he had been 3rd at Las Vegas. Thing is, I am not sure that match was actually a dft. As I remember, He was on his back screaming in pain, and the ref refused to call time until he slapped the mat, I think, had that happened to Trenge, his father would have slugged the official on the spot, or far worse, Chuck Bednarik, had he been there. I suspect Jay Hammond just recorded it as a dft.

1990-91 might have been a worse injury year, but not a lot of defaults in matches.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:33 pm

I posted elsewhere about this issue. I think the entire sports world, but especially wrestling, needs to re-evaluate what it is doing to the athletes. Too much stress, strain and torque on joints and muscles for prolonged periods of time. Go back a few decades and teams only wrestled 10 dual meets then the league and national tournaments. That was it. Caruso won 59 bouts in three years with one loss. Today that is barely more than one season. Plus they wrestle ALL YEAR LONG. Tournaments all over the place. In the tourneys guys wrestle 4-6 times in a couple days. Keep in mind, you have to multiply this by all the practice sessions. It starts in Jr and Sr high school with ridiculous number of tournaments and matches. Money is a driver. All of these tournaments are run by someone who is making money. Kids and Parent are beguiled by the need to have so many wins, such and such a ranking, which can only be enhanced by more wrestling. The body can only take so much. It needs a break..and a break can be done by playing something different, not always stressing the same joints. The mind can wear out too...some people call it 'burnout'. Years ago kids played multiple sports in high school. Now it's focus on one all year long. I know a number of kids who have said in retrospect that it would have been 'neat' to play some other sports. We are only young, once. You have roughly 10 years to experience different kinds of competition.
TMH

Post by TMH » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:52 pm

I absolutely agree with everything ngineer posted.
The other variable, especially in wrestling is the amount of weight training that gets done today. When knees are being bent and shoulders over-rotated today, it is being done with a lot more muscle and torque than in the old days. Frankly, sometimes I'm amazed that there isn't more injuries.
Conversely, last year we lost 2 women's basketball players to torn ACLs while warming up prior to the season. How does that happen?
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:45 am

Women seem more vulnerable to ACL injuries than men. But I think they recover a month or two faster from massive reconstruction. Just a quick evaluation and guess.

1988, the first season in Goodman, I Don't think I got to a home game until maybe last weekend of October. At that point National total offense leader Mark McGowan was done for the year, Standing on crutches. There was a line of players, on crutches, from the end of the healthy guys on the sideline to at least the goal line, if not the end line. (And we then in the last quarter of the 52-45 loss to Pards. lost QB Harris, nations leading Passer. And we still had Brunner- think of that 3 QBs, on team, 2 SRs, 1 Jr, who probably could have started for the majority of FBS (then 1-A).
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:14 am

ngineer wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:33 pm I posted elsewhere about this issue. I think the entire sports world, but especially wrestling, needs to re-evaluate what it is doing to the athletes. Too much stress, strain and torque on joints and muscles for prolonged periods of time. Go back a few decades and teams only wrestled 10 dual meets then the league and national tournaments. That was it. Caruso won 59 bouts in three years with one loss. Today that is barely more than one season. Plus they wrestle ALL YEAR LONG. Tournaments all over the place. In the tourneys guys wrestle 4-6 times in a couple days. Keep in mind, you have to multiply this by all the practice sessions. It starts in Jr and Sr high school with ridiculous number of tournaments and matches. Money is a driver. All of these tournaments are run by someone who is making money. Kids and Parent are beguiled by the need to have so many wins, such and such a ranking, which can only be enhanced by more wrestling. The body can only take so much. It needs a break..and a break can be done by playing something different, not always stressing the same joints. The mind can wear out too...some people call it 'burnout'. Years ago kids played multiple sports in high school. Now it's focus on one all year long. I know a number of kids who have said in retrospect that it would have been 'neat' to play some other sports. We are only young, once. You have roughly 10 years to experience different kinds of competition.
+1