Offers. Round 2

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
RichH

Re: Offers. Round 2

Post by RichH » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:08 am

Thanks opa. OVs will be interesting to say the least.

Cole Aubrey. DE. (3*) 6'3 225. St. John Bosco. Cal
A-S 17.5 sacks this season

21 offers.
Academies, Ivies Gate Fordham Hoyas Bosfon College. San. Jose St. Montana. St. Ark. St

Coach Cuevas working Cali.

RichH

Post by RichH » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:51 pm

Tony Gyimah verbal to GU this afternoon.
RichH

Post by RichH » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:55 pm

Nate Hope a RB we offered back in May has decommitted from Dartmouth. Back in the mix??
Lehigh4Life

Post by Lehigh4Life » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:07 am

The more I sit back and think about it, we should beat the Ivy League on kids that are even having to pay 20k at an Ivy. I understand if it's scholarship to scholarship (meaning the kid qualifies for full aid), but the ability to play in playoffs, the 11th game, as well as free vs paying, we should be able to compete better.

I was looking at Lafayette's offers and the places their offers committed, and it appears that Lafayette is shooting for the stars with some of their guys. Most of their offers have been lost to CAA, Ivy, or even some FBS. NONE of them were lost to Lehigh, a couple to PL schools.

Now, not saying they are correct in evals, but we shouldn't be competing with D2 schools or Pioneer League players if we are going to turn the ship.
RichH

Post by RichH » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:28 am

L4L
Well we do go after a lot of the same kids.Of the 22. H2Hs with Pards, they got 1 all the other commits went to Elsewhere U.
I admit to some qualms with a few of the recent offers. Of course there are lots of excellent players at D2 level. All I can hope is that our evaluation of their potential is correct.
We must remember TG is faced with conflicting dynamics. We need to keep recruiting and getting prospects with CAA,FBS et al offers. At the same time we face an almost crippling shortage of players. We've all seen the impact of a short roster limiting practice preparation, not to mention game participation
2 years ago we wound up playing or starting all frosh in the back 7 on D. Last year we lost all our returning OTs. We saw what that did to our O. Dont forget injuries during the year at LB.
Our present recruit class has had a very good beginning but it is not near enough yet for TG to achieve either of his goals. This time until 2/2 is crucial for us.
LUopa

Post by LUopa » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:18 am

Rich- Concur. I think we need kids that that are flexible enough to play on either side of the ball with only 60-63 scholarships. UGA had to use a DT to start on the O line last year because of injuries. This class has several kids that can play on either side of the ball and had offers on both sides of ball...With all the DEs offers in this class maybe a switch to a 4-3 as Holy Cross ran for many year? It's getting late to make offers to kids that a relationship has not been built. This weekend's visits will be critical to closing out well.
RichH

Post by RichH » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:30 am

Yes indeed. PL limits us to 60 athletic schollies. PL calculates the total by including all aid to "recruited" athletes. PWOs and WOs have become more important to PL rosters. Over the last few years we have added 4-5 PWOs each year. Usually talented kids who are tweeners sizewise. Does bolster STs.
There is also a bottom line limitation for us. We dont know how much schollie money TG has available this year.
RichH

Post by RichH » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:26 pm

Tracking coaches. LU is in N. Car today.
Also TG is in Georgia at Alpharetta HS.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:29 pm

I would not denigrate D2 players as a group. There are a lot of D2 schools and players that would compete very well at the PL level. They give scholarships, too. Fair number of D2 players in the pros as well. A lot of factors go into a kid's decision to play at a particular school: academics, money, location/geography, chance to play right away, family connections, etc.
Lehigh4Life

Post by Lehigh4Life » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:58 pm

Not denegrating anyone. D2 does not typically give full scholarships though, they give a combination of aid, academic $ and loan. Also, the really good D2 players are typically kids that do not qualify academically at D1. We couldn't recruit those kids anyway.

At the end of the day, the teams we want to be able to beat are recruiting kids, and getting transfers from the big, FBS schools. Not to say that we have to recruit the same kids, but we do need to step up our recruitment.

i have no doubt that TG and the new staff members will do just that.

On the Lafayette deal, I was just looking at something they posted, I didn't realize that we had offered some of those guys. I guess I need to pay closer attention....