Bucknell Rumor

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
Sundayamqb

Re: Bucknell Rumor

Post by Sundayamqb » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:01 pm

Good luck ... pressure's on at Bucky. Success or ....? Where could you go after losing seasons year after year at Valpo and Bucky?

Bison_137

Post by Bison_137 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:27 pm

Lehigh4Life wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:45 pm I guess we will find out who made the better hire... Only time will tell. My guess is Bucknell is more of a project than Lehigh. Happy for Cecchini.
Bucknell is clearly more of a project, and he will have less funding and a few less scholarships to work with. Also far less support from the administration. And no injury redshirts unless Cecchini and the new AD convince the Administration to not put up roadblocks constantly.
RichH

Post by RichH » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:38 pm

Bison_137 wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:27 pm
Lehigh4Life wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:45 pm I guess we will find out who made the better hire... Only time will tell. My guess is Bucknell is more of a project than Lehigh. Happy for Cecchini.
Bucknell is clearly more of a project, and he will have less funding and a few less scholarships to work with. Also far less support from the administration. And no injury redshirts unless Cecchini and the new AD convince the Administration to not put up roadblocks constantly.
True enough but still a spot with more potential than Valpo. Susan relied on a vanilla O relying on out executing defenses. Only works with superior talent, which Bucknell lacked on O. Dave runs a scheme O based on the original AirLehigh. A smart QB and a couple of decent WRs can run that O even with a half ass OL and mediocre run game. Itvis complicated requiring multiple reads by QB and receivers on every pass play. The 2 need to see the same D and agree on route response to that D. Onevyear we had to put our P in as QB. He starred and LU scored.
valleypatriot

Post by valleypatriot » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:17 pm

From what I've heard was that Valparaiso was one of the toughest coaching jobs in D1. I don't think they have scholarships, and google search turns up that their law school is closing, so that's not good for finances. Cecchini won their conference's coach of the year award after going 6-5, so I see no reason to stay there. Looks like a death trap for aspiring head coaches to have their win/loss record ruined
RichH

Post by RichH » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:52 pm

Dave built a program out of nothing at Valpo. He will do very well at Bucknell given some time.
van

Post by van » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:39 pm

agree, institutional support at Valpo might be worse than Bison, but it is an uphill climb for sure
RichH

Post by RichH » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:49 pm

Agree van. Buckies are no bed of roses. No one cares about football there. He wont have a full 60 or the possibility of 5th yr players.
All that said Dave doesnt need much. Bison D s/b adequate. All he need for his O is a QB and a couple of WRs and he will scheme out an O.
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:06 pm

RichH wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:49 pm Agree van. Buckies are no bed of roses. No one cares about football there. He wont have a full 60 or the possibility of 5th yr players.
All that said Dave doesnt need much. Bison D s/b adequate. All he need for his O is a QB and a couple of WRs and he will scheme out an O.
It won't be fun to play a Cecchini-centric offense.

I wonder why he didn't get the LU job, if leaving Valpo was an option.
TMH

Post by TMH » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:45 pm

Dave is a much better fit for Bucknell than Lehigh. Lehigh already has a fine offense. Our defense needed a complete overhaul. Bucknell already has a fine defense. Their offense needs a complete overhaul. Each school made the right pick for their situation. IMHO.

Everyone keeps talking about the great turnaround at Valpo. In his 5 years, they only finished higher than 7th once in a 10 team league that all lay under the same rules.

As always, just my opinion.
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:51 am

Both coaches enter their gigs with a lot to prove so motivation shouldn't be an issue. I think there's a reason why the best head coaching jobs Cecchini could land are Valpo and Bucknell. Arguably 2 of the 10-15 worst programs in FCS. The hurdles in Lewisburg are well documented.

Gilmore enters a much better situation but his resume is equally as questionable. I'm hopeful the defense is improved but until I see it happening I'll fail to believe it. Especially knowing/watching how poor the Gilmore-Kashurba defenses were in Worcester. Overall, statistically they were average to below average by PL standards for Gilmore's entire tenure.

Of all the hires in the league Chesney is the best one without a doubt. He won't be i Worcester long but his ceiling will be higher than Gilmore's, Cecchini's and Garrett's imo. I'll reserve judgement on Conlin until after this year. I have a large enough sample size from the other guys....