Pat

Young team returns in 2018-2019 with tons of promise. Can they get back to the NCAA Tournament?
StablerBum

Re: Pat

Post by StablerBum » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:12 pm

I expected I would be more bummed about this, but after this past season - I support it. Pat can play and next year's team was likely going to be a step down talent wise - unless there is a big surprise in the freshman class. Not really being in contention for a title this year, why would Pat want to stick around for next with the same coaching and a less talented cast?

Relatedly, could there have been a less exciting/satisfying 20 win season? No upsets, no tourney run, no title chase, no big win streaks, yet this team won 20 games. Seems harsh to criticize as underacheivement, but that's what it feels like.

RichH

Post by RichH » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:17 pm

No SB, underachievement fits nicely. At least from the viewpoint of a fan with disappointed expectations. :cry:
jimk72

Post by jimk72 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:44 pm

StablerBum wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:12 pm I expected I would be more bummed about this, but after this past season - I support it. Pat can play and next year's team was likely going to be a step down talent wise - unless there is a big surprise in the freshman class. Not really being in contention for a title this year, why would Pat want to stick around for next with the same coaching and a less talented cast?

Relatedly, could there have been a less exciting/satisfying 20 win season? No upsets, no tourney run, no title chase, no big win streaks, yet this team won 20 games. Seems harsh to criticize as underacheivement, but that's what it feels like.
Beat the teams we were supposed to, most of the time. Lost to our equals all of the time. Underacheivement in my mind as well.
lehighmhawk77

Post by lehighmhawk77 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:59 pm

Hello everyone, I have been following this forum for a few years now and have not felt the need to contribute yet. However, the amount of transfers and players who have left the program in the past couple of years has been a red flag to me in the direction our program is headed. Recounting the past three years: 2017(Holba & Alston), 2018(Sedore & Wolf), and 2019(Bennett, Andree, Aceveno, and possibly more). Would like to know what is going on behind the scenes that is causing this. Nevertheless, I think I will be engaging in this forum more often and I hope for a good 2019-2020 season.
RichH

Post by RichH » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:20 pm

Holba injured out. Went home.
Alston graduated
Sedore multiple injuries. Doc got him into a game for a few minutes to honor his perseverance.
Wolf a walk on.
The transfers and graduations have been gping on for a number of years. Not a new situation.Sometimes we forget these young men make decisions for varied reasons... homesick, playing time etc. Not necessarily a program issue. It is a problem going into next season tho.
Hawk85

Post by Hawk85 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:57 pm

Welcome to the forum lehighmhawk77. I was unaware Shane Acoveno was leaving the program. Could you point me to a link where this was announced? Thank you.
TMH

Post by TMH » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:33 pm

I'm fairly sure that Pat's decision to go elsewhere is fairly recent. Two months ago both Brett and Pat gave me every indication that Pat found a program at Lehigh that he really liked and would be staying.
Best of luck to the young man. He gave us a lot of exciting memories. We may want to rethink our summer school program though :-)
RichH

Post by RichH » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:42 pm

I wonder why he changed his mind. Oh well, his decision. Appreciate all he brought to the team.

Our summer program?? :? ;) OK I'll bite. Why?
Dumb question after a few seconds of thought. Got it. :oops:
Travis23

Post by Travis23 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:23 pm

What summer program. U mean taking classes ? Maybe pat wanted one last chance to go somewhere bigger and they offered him what his degree is in. I’m not quite sure. Big loss imo I haven’t heard Shane left. Not sure where that came from
TMH

Post by TMH » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:04 pm

At first I thought some of our basketball players had advanced credits when entering Lehigh. Lehigh has summer sessions where athletes come to train, bond with their team and lighten the load during the in-season training and games. Lexi, Brandon and Pat all utilized the extra courses in order to graduate early. I'm pretty sure none of them came here with that intention but when the opportunity presented itself, they took full advantage of having a grad year paid for too.
I don't blame any of them. It's probably the smart decision if they can handle it. My comment above was made just a little tongue in cheek hence the emoticon. I'm not aware of this being a big problem in very many programs without red shirts but I'm guessing I will be proven wrong. :-)