Andree Transfer Quote

Young team returns in 2018-2019 with tons of promise. Can they get back to the NCAA Tournament?
lehigh90

Andree Transfer Quote

Post by lehigh90 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:35 am

It looks like NC State will be his destination after his official on 4/12-13.

https://247sports.com/college/boston-co ... 130866212/

This one quote, I found very irritating for a number of reasons.

"I can't thank Lehigh enough for what they've done for me, but I honestly feel like there's an element to my game that I haven't reached here. I'm looking forward to getting to a program that can challenge me to grow as a player and compete for opportunities that Lehigh hasn't been able to offer."

The guy was a decent PL player, let's not get carried away about how good he thinks he is that Lehigh couldn't challenge him. To me, he certainly looked challenged plenty in the biggest college games of his career, where he was a virtual no-show.

Freshman year PL tourney

Quarterfinal vs Colgate - 0 points
Semi vs BU - 3 points (loss)

Soph year PL tourney

Quarter vs BU - 15 points (loss)

Junior year PL tourney

Quarter vs Army - 6 points
Semi vs Bucky - 2 points (loss)

That's 5 ppg in the ones that matter the most.

TMH

Re: Andree Transfer Quote

Post by TMH » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:50 am

IMHO, there is a bit of truth to Pat's statement but also a lack of self blame.

If we are all honest with ourselves, schools in the Patriot League and Ivy League are designed to allow men and women with significant athletic skills to parlay that into a top end education which will set them up with the opportunities to be very successful in life. That is our appeal or out niche. We are not sports factories.
With that in mind, we also offer the opportunity for those who are self-motivated to achieve at the highest levels.
CJ McCollum is the ideal example of someone who set his goals high and then worked to achieve them.
Pat was an excellent HS basketball player who was pretty much one-dimensional. He could shoot as well as anyone. Over these 3 years I thought his mid range game, rebounding and play making have improved significantly. Defense, maybe not so much. Here is the rub. Lehigh set up a summer program which allowed Pat and all others to reduce their work load in season. That allows them more time to develop themselves as an athlete. Pat chose very early though to push the academic side so he could graduate in 3 years instead of maximizing his basketball skills. That was his decision. No one else's.

What I don't know is whether Lehigh does enough to ignite that internal drive to greatness. The demands are great. Free time is minimal and many times personal aspirations may be set too low. The difference between good and great in college is dedication and everyone's goals and aspirations are different.

I often ponder pro days. With the lure of a pro contract a possibility, athletes work like crazy to get bigger, faster, stronger and more skilled. What if they harnessed that ambition at a younger age?

In the meantime, Lehigh does an amazing job IMHO of transforming kids into young men ready to take on the world. After all that is their true mandate.
RichH

Post by RichH » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:18 am

TMH wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:50 am IMHO, there is a bit of truth to Pat's statement but also a lack of self blame.

If we are all honest with ourselves, schools in the Patriot League and Ivy League are designed to allow men and women with significant athletic skills to parlay that into a top end education which will set them up with the opportunities to be very successful in life. That is our appeal or out niche. We are not sports factories.
With that in mind, we also offer the opportunity for those who are self-motivated to achieve at the highest levels.
CJ McCollum is the ideal example of someone who set his goals high and then worked to achieve them.
Pat was an excellent HS basketball player who was pretty much one-dimensional. He could shoot as well as anyone. Over these 3 years I thought his mid range game, rebounding and play making have improved significantly. Defense, maybe not so much. Here is the rub. Lehigh set up a summer program which allowed Pat and all others to reduce their work load in season. That allows them more time to develop themselves as an athlete. Pat chose very early though to push the academic side so he could graduate in 3 years instead of maximizing his basketball skills. That was his decision. No one else's.

What I don't know is whether Lehigh does enough to ignite that internal drive to greatness. The demands are great. Free time is minimal and many times personal aspirations may be set too low. The difference between good and great in college is dedication and everyone's goals and aspirations are different.

I often ponder pro days. With the lure of a pro contract a possibility, athletes work like crazy to get bigger, faster, stronger and more skilled. What if they harnessed that ambition at a younger age?

In the meantime, Lehigh does an amazing job IMHO of transforming kids into young men ready to take on the world. After all that is their true mandate.
+1 Exactly
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:19 am

You're all right, but there's this, too:

There's only so much improving you can do when you play regularly in practice against the caliber of ballplayer or athlete in the PL.

And, nothing against our coaches, but Roy Williams and his staff aren't on the sideline.

Let's be honest: the PL is not the caliber you'd want to play against if you aspire to play after college.

Andree probably was not good enough out of HS to start at UNC, Duke or Virginia, so he selected a Lehigh to get a great education and play a lot. It made sense to graduate in three years then, if he could, play at a higher college level.

Maybe I'm wrong about this, but ...

This is the reality of places like Lehigh today, especially when we give scholarships. The schollies enable athletes to play in Europe for relatively little pay as opposed to the rest of our scholars: coming out of school $25,000 or more in debt and forced to work in the corporate world.
lehigh90

Post by lehigh90 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:18 pm

Andree committed to NC State
RichH

Post by RichH » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:22 pm

Wish him the best luck. I always root for our transfers to do well. ;) .
CHIP72

Post by CHIP72 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:07 pm

Honestly, unless Pat Andree improves significantly next season, he'll probably be a backup player for North Carolina State who plays 15 minutes a game as a designated long range shooter. He'll probably play less, possibly considerably less, than he did at Lehigh.
toddcudd

Post by toddcudd » Fri May 10, 2019 6:03 pm

Facts:
  • Lehigh's gameday experience is roughly a d3 experience
  • Pat can tell his kids he played for NC State, even with 2 mins of garbage time per game (see Alston, Brandon)
  • CJ was a one-in-million, needle in a haystack
  • Some schlubs like me hoped that the "CJ effect" would change something. Naive. Ask Colgate about the Foyle effect.
  • PL basketball has never and will never compete on any level other than low major.
  • Bucknell sucks vs. real hoops schools too.
  • Root for wrastlin' and lax, I guess.
[/list]
RichH

Post by RichH » Fri May 10, 2019 6:47 pm

Cant disagree with your list todd. All true to a certain extent. It does leave me frustrated year to year. That said I am not as sanguine about the program. Doc has built an excellent program. He has recruited great kids and a good amount of real talent. Besides injuries it seems every year, our main issue seems to be putting a team on the court that keeps focus and plays like a team. My hope is that the coach coming in to replace Wyche will be a real game coach.
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Fri May 10, 2019 11:12 pm

toddcudd wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 6:03 pm Facts:
  • Lehigh's gameday experience is roughly a d3 experience
  • Pat can tell his kids he played for NC State, even with 2 mins of garbage time per game (see Alston, Brandon)
  • CJ was a one-in-million, needle in a haystack
  • Some schlubs like me hoped that the "CJ effect" would change something. Naive. Ask Colgate about the Foyle effect.
  • PL basketball has never and will never compete on any level other than low major.
  • Bucknell sucks vs. real hoops schools too.
  • Root for wrastlin' and lax, I guess.
[/list]
+1