Street & Smith

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Street & Smith

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Sat May 18, 2019 11:04 pm

1. Colgate (#11)
2. Holy Cross
3. Georgetown
4. Fordham
5. Lafayette
6. Lehigh
7. Bucknell

No way in hell should Lehigh finish 6th if the staff is up to the task and injuries aren't catastrophic. Way too much talent on offense and in the secondary on D to be THAT bad. Finish behind Lafayette? C'mon..I know the struggles were real last year but I think any reasonable person knows it was mainly a combo of staff issues and a terrible defense. It could be argued the were one of the same. I know everyone is a homer this time of year but I'll be SHOCKED if this team doesn't compete for a league title if the culture is right. 1-40 this still might be the most talented team in the league.

-Colgate at preseason #11 is absurd. They were hit extremely hard by graduation, lost some key coordinators and face a daunting schedule (much tougher than last year's). I'll given them a token 20-25 but anything higher than that is foolish. They still have a bunch of great pieces and great coach but the I'll be shocked if they're anything close to last year.

-Georgetown is legit. I've been on that bandwagon since January. If they get an OL they'll absolutely challenge for the league title. The QB and skill guys is the best group they've had since joining the PL. The defense must replace Tate but otherwise should remain among the top 2-3 units in the league.

Here's a hot take. Lehigh will finish ahead of Holy Cross.....

TMH

Re: Street & Smith

Post by TMH » Sun May 19, 2019 4:57 pm

While I very much respect your opinion and knowledge of the game, I just wish I shared your optimism.

IMHO, if this team is to have the success you predict, then the credit should go entirely to the change in coaching. We have far, far too much uncertainty heading into next year and that is before injuries rear their ugly heads.
RichH

Post by RichH » Sun May 19, 2019 7:05 pm

Mr. Middle Ground here. :D
You guys get that S&S just reprinted last year's finish.
Agree TMH that there are so many unknowns.
OL still unsettled at Spring Game
Monaco was uncomfortable and unproductive. Other 2 QBs looked better.
D looked great. Because they're better or because O was a mish mash of players??
Upsides tho are quite real. Agree with owl that we have exceptional talent at every level particularly at RB,DB,WR and OL.
The one key is can this staff put cohesive units on the field. We lacked that last year partly due to unsettled staff and more due to injuries on the OL and at LB.
I am impressed with this staff. The enthusiasm of this staff is epic.
On a side note. Staff tweets thru this recruiting is using the hashtag
#AIR LEHIGH
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Mon May 20, 2019 8:02 pm

Sadly, the No. 6 finish is realistic. Could be higher, but we've lost perhaps the best running back we've ever had and some other great players -- including the Mayes we knew two and three years ago.

Someone's gotta finish sixth and be picked for it.

Sometimes it's easier to exceed expectations.

Hopefully it will stick in the craw of the men in brown and white.
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Mon May 20, 2019 8:57 pm

Sundayamqb wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:02 pm Sadly, the No. 6 finish is realistic. Could be higher, but we've lost perhaps the best running back we've ever had and some other great players -- including the Mayes we knew two and three years ago.

Someone's gotta finish sixth and be picked for it.

Sometimes it's easier to exceed expectations.

Hopefully it will stick in the craw of the men in brown and white.
Lehigh has lost All-American skill players for 40 years without really missing a beat. I agree that losing a player of Bragalone's caliber is basically impossible to replace. But, this is college where you simply can replace production with depth/scheme. I think Allen is the real deal and will immediately be an impact player now that he's the number one guy. If Chadbourn can finally step up as a junior then there could be a deadly duo. As for Mayes, he was a good but not next level Lehigh QB imo. He was at his best in 2016 when he filled in for Shafnisky. I do think QB is an issue but it's not because Mayes is irreplaceable. Rather, I'm hopeful but not yet convinced Monaco can lead the team to 7-8 wins and a PL title. He has the high school predigree and showed good poise in the spot start against St. Francis last year.

I get that someone has to finish 6th but when you look at Lehigh's history they're rarely ever down for long, especially in the PL. Unless Gilmore and staff struggle I don't see anyway Lafayette finishes ahead of Lehigh.

Generally speaking, I think over the last 20 years the two most talented teams year in and year out in the PL are Lehigh and Fordham. The problem is the pieces haven't always been used to their fullest thanks to so-so to subpar coaching at times. Colgate's team last year was likely their most physically gifted squad ever in the PL era. A lot of their success in past years has been based on simplicity and a strong culture. Even so, they've had a lot of ups and downs too the last 10-15 years. They were terrible in 2014 and underachieved in 2016. Last year was the first 10 win season since 2003.
TMH

Post by TMH » Mon May 20, 2019 10:43 pm

If you believe that Lehigh is going to thrive in the PL this year because the rest of the league will be God-awful, perhaps I could buy into that.

If you think Lehigh will thrive in the PL this year because you believe the change in coaching will turn the ship completely around, I'm listening...however, this is what I see.

Defense

Our defense has given up 41 ppg and 35 ppg in 2017 and 2018 respectively. From a personnel standpoint, I'm not sure where the infusion of new talent that will significantly change things is coming from. Our secondary is experienced but our DL got hit hard and lacks depth. Perhaps a change in schemes, motivation etc can provide a huge lift but that is a significant unknown right now.

Offense

Absolutely everything hinges on the OL IMHO. One thing that has always been proven to be true is that there needs to be consistency, stability and complete coordination to bring that about. Bragalone and Mayes were All Americans in 2017 because they functioned behind a very veteran and talented offensive line. Lehigh will be operating under their third OL coach in 3 years. The HC is also obviously new. We have some guys coming back from injury but Motley hasn't played in 2 years, Curlin in 3. With a patchwork OL last year, Bragalone and Mayes looked pretty pedestrian.
I've seen no evidence that this will not be a problem next year. They have had little to no time to develop any continuity.
R. Allen has exceptional talent but will need a solid OL to open holes. Check his stats between his jr and sr year in HS. Monaco has completed 46% of his passes so far. The one long completion to JP in the St. Francis game took forever to get there. Who knows though,maybe someone will blossom like Biakowski when he got the chance.

Special Teams

Our former all league kicker and punter are gone. I suspect that there may be a significant drop-off.

My guess is that the prognosticators may be looking at similar data. The intrigue will be in finding out how this squad responds to new coaches. That is where we may prove them all wrong.

Just my opinion
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Mon May 20, 2019 11:37 pm

TMH,

I don't believe the league will be horrific (I tend to think there will be at least 3 teams with a winning record) but I also don't think there's any standout star either. When that happens play the %'s based on history. Those odds ALWAYS favor Lehigh and Colgate.

Chesney has created a bit of QB mess at HC by hedging his bets on a transfer. There's some experience in Clifford. Outside of the Lehigh game, their offense struggled for most of the 2018 season. There's considerable talent in the soph and fr. classes but top to bottom I still don't see the athletes Colgate, Lehigh and Fordham possess 1-60. I firmly believe Chesney is a really good coach but winning at HC is not easy. They have a brutal schedule (2 FBS games) to go along with key personnel questions. HC hasn't had a winning season since 2015.

Fordham could be a factor if Conlin settles into being a head coach. I think Breiner left the team a bit of a mess which cost them last year given Conlin's lack of HC experience. He's brought in a couple of key transfers at RB and DT. Like Lehigh, they have concerns along the OL and DL. I'd argue their issues along the OL are more pressing than Lehigh's. Defensively, the Ram LB's are likely the best in the league.

Georgetown and Colgate should post winning records this year. The Hoyas have the experience and schedule to win 7-8 games imo. After those two Lehigh has the schedule and difference makers to scratch out 6 wins. I'll concede UC-Davis and nothing else right now.

I'm really not trying to be overly optimistic. But given how unprepared and unmotivated they were the last year I have to think the staff change will make a major difference even if Gilmore isn't the second coming of Nick Saban. I still maintain the program's culture is overall quite healthy. The Coen situation last year imo resulted in a lost year, nothing more, nothing less. I also don't think Mish irreplaceable. Colgate's Chris Puzzi and Bucknell's Alex Pechin are/were much better FG kickers/punters than Mish. Mish was a steady but not spectacular FG kicker. His longest FG last year was 27 yards. That's a pretty amazing stat actually for a college FG kicker. I get OL and DL concerns and to some extent QB. The trenches are everything. Hopefully, the staff can build effective units.

I still have concerns about Gilmore. But my belief is that Lehigh football (athletics) >> HC football (athletics) so he'll benefit from simply being on South Mountain instead of Mount St. James. Time will tell. Going to be a fascinating season because really anything is possible....
mookie

Post by mookie » Tue May 21, 2019 12:48 pm

Observing Gilmore during spring practices it's clear he's old school with the screaming and yelling. Not my cup of tea but time will tell how the team responds.
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Tue May 21, 2019 2:49 pm

mookie wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 12:48 pm Observing Gilmore during spring practices it's clear he's old school with the screaming and yelling. Not my cup of tea but time will tell how the team responds.
Not a fan of that aspect of Gilmore and I love Lou Holtz and really like Brian Kelly (yes lifelong ND fan). Both are known are fiery guys. Kelly 4-5 years ago is where Gilmore traditionally is, off his rocker. Thankfully for ND he's calmed down a little bit which has made him a better coach imo. Gilmore just always seems to be at red alert. I feel like his antics on the sideline during games can be rather counterproductive. He also has a history of being a tough guy to work for.

I have to think that Sterrett sees a lot of Whitehead in Gilmore which appealed to him. I'm just hoping Tom can find a way to reign it in just a little bit.
RichH

Post by RichH » Tue May 21, 2019 3:04 pm

Go Lehigh TU Owl wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:49 pm
mookie wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 12:48 pm Observing Gilmore during spring practices it's clear he's old school with the screaming and yelling. Not my cup of tea but time will tell how the team responds.
Not a fan of that aspect of Gilmore and I love Lou Holtz and really like Brian Kelly (yes lifelong ND fan). Both are known are fiery guys. Kelly 4-5 years ago is where Gilmore traditionally is, off his rocker. Thankfully for ND he's calmed down a little bit which has made him a better coach imo. Gilmore just always seems to be at red alert. I feel like his antics on the sideline during games can be rather counterproductive. He also has a history of being a tough guy to work for.

I have to think that Sterrett sees a lot of Whitehead in Gilmore which appealed to him. I'm just hoping Tom can find a way to reign it in just a little bit.
Tom was not my top choice. Tom is fiery to say the least. I think the change of voice from Andy's laid back executive style will be beneficial. In an of itself it creates a different perhaps more challenging atmosphere. I always enjoyed his sideline antics when he was our DC. He was able to get his D to out perform their actual ability.
As a HC, he has to rein in those antics and allow his Coordinators to call the games. His tendency to call O plays at crucial times for Cross was calamitous more often than not.
I am quite impressed with the new coaches. Borich has the backbround and proven ability to remake our DL. Likewise, Coach K looks more suited to creating a cohesive D unit.