[LehighSports] Jason Reynolds chosen by San Diego Padres in 32nd round of MLB Draft

Patriot League challengers year-in, year out. Guys in the big show. All that's needed now is a return to Patriot League Championships.
News
Site Admin

[LehighSports] Jason Reynolds chosen by San Diego Padres in 32nd round of MLB Draft

Post by News » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:51 pm

BETHLEHEM, Pa. — On Day 3 of the 2019 MLB Draft, a Lehigh baseball player was taken for the second day in a row as junior right-hander Jason Reynolds was selected in the 32nd round, pick No. 953 by the San Diego Padres.

Source: https://lehighsports.com/news/2019/6/5/ ... draft.aspx

TMH

Re: [LehighSports] Jason Reynolds chosen by San Diego Padres in 32nd round of MLB Draft

Post by TMH » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:01 am

Jason is pitching for the Tri-City Dust Devils at the short A level (the same team that Justin Pacchioli started at).

Except for a bout of wildness in 1 game, he is pitching very well, giving up 3 hits and striking out 12 in 8 innings.

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?si ... g/2019/ALL
RichH

Re: [LehighSports] Jason Reynolds chosen by San Diego Padres in 32nd round of MLB Draft

Post by RichH » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:23 am

Quietly amazing the job Leary has done over the years. Nice to see as many players following their freams.
TMH

Post by TMH » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:49 pm

I'm looking at this this through a different prism.

Lehigh has had 3 pitchers taken in the MLB draft over the last few years. None of them particularly distinguished themselves in college.

Reynolds was 2-6 last season with a 5.76 ERA. Prior to that he was 7-10 with a 3.64 ERA

Washington was 1-3 with an 8.44 ERA in his final season at Lehigh although some of that may have been due to injury
Overall however, he was 9-6 with a 3.79 ERA Neither made 1st or 2nd team all PL

Stoudt who was drafted in the 3rd round was a combined 10-17 in his 3 year career here. He did however have a very good ERA. I don't know if it's been mentioned but a physical determined he needs Tommy John surgery.
RichH

Post by RichH » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:51 pm

OK. I see your point. Talent better than coaching at least as to pitchers. Solution?
van

Post by van » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:29 pm

as a former resident of WA tri-cities, I am quite sure he was in for a culture shock
TMH

Post by TMH » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:02 pm

Rich,

I wish I had solutions. I can only identify problems :-)

Actually, I place very little if any blame on the coaching staff or the players. We are about 140 games under .500 since Sean took over but I blame Lehigh,the NCAA and the Patriot League in no particular order.

Probably due to Title IX, Sean's counterpart in softball has the luxury of recruiting nationally with an armload of full rides in order to attract the 4 or so best girls to Lehigh. Sean is reduced to doing the vast, vast majority of his recruiting in a 50 mile radius, with I've been told 1 or 2 equivalencies in order to attract twice as many quality players (especially pitchers).

The NCAA has set it up so that a school like Lehigh will play 50-55 games per year beginning in mid February depending on cancellations and playoffs. Include all the travel time and the academic requirements of a Patriot League school, player development takes a back seat.

While softball plays a 3 games series of 7 inning games which may require 1-2 pitchers for the weekend in the Patriot League, baseball is required to play double-double headers of 9 inning games which may require up to 10 different pitchers. I believe that this is not conducive to effective results.

MLB finds their pitchers in the elite summer leagues. The games are spread out more. There is no academic pressure and they look for diamonds in the rough and project where they could end up with proper development. Personally, I think Sean does an incredible job recruiting these kids under the circumstances.

BTW, I graduated with Paul Hartzell, who had 3 losing seasons at lehigh before a great senior year. He pitched 6 years in the majors.
RichH

Post by RichH » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:14 pm

:D
I recall his comment describing LU facilities for baseball as crummy.
My point with Leary. He does what he does with literally nothing. Softball is fully funded and gets huge support from the parents and alums. Fran has many times the recruiting budget than Sean. In recent years he has been able to take a few trips out of the norteast for recruits.
Ahvwell if wishes were horse we'd all be kings. ;)
van

Post by van » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:10 pm

as a matter of practicality, a private school the size of Lehigh (other than the rich ivies) just cannot properly support the number of sports we offer, something has to give
RichH

Post by RichH » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:15 pm

Certainly true. Doesnt mean we cant bitch about it. :D