Scrimmage #1

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
RichH

Scrimmage #1

Post by RichH » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:16 am

Quick note. Lehigh Football Media Day is this morning.
LFN et al hopefully can pick up useful ino on team aside from the usual coach speak. :D

RichH

Re: Scrimmage #1

Post by RichH » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:11 pm

Players had a great time.Lots of video from the kids on instagram. Bibbens got comments from player and coaches. TG Coach K and Coach Lemon. A lot of good humored talk.
One early report frosh and sophs got a lot of reps today
Hopefully some eyesitness info and opinions. :D
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:17 pm

Just spent 12 minutes typing and when submitted was told I wasn't logged in! But I was was. Very frustrating, and will try tomorrow. SMH
RichH

Post by RichH » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:28 pm

I'll tell LFN now. to check you.
RichH

Post by RichH » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:34 pm

n

LFN said it probably was a browser issue. He'll check it out so you shouldnt have a problem.
Lehigh74

Post by Lehigh74 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:28 pm

ngineer wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:17 pm Just spent 12 minutes typing and when submitted was told I wasn't logged in! But I was was. Very frustrating, and will try tomorrow. SMH
The same thing has happened to me. The best practice is to copy your post before you “submit” it just in case it doesn’t post the first time.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:43 pm

Well, here goes.I was at the scrimmage Saturday. A great day for any outdoor sport. The defense was definitely with the upper hand with good pressure by the front four. The secondary has showed good coverage and a frosh, Simpson, showed very good athleticism. I could see him getting PT if he keeps improving. Defense is basically a 5-3, but I like the CBs playing 'up' a lot. We have given too much cushion past years. With a good rush, and tight coverage, we can get some picks this year. A 'down' category in recent years.
Offense was missing 3 projected starters from the OL: Gurth, Rosen and#77, who was hurt last year. Brain fart on remembering name at the moment. Hopefully, absence due to precautions and nothing serious.
Monaco certainly appears to be the starter, not just because he lead off with the first unit, but he held himself as the #1. Appeared composed, not rattled by the rush, and shows a good arm with accuracy. Bescommer and Shoup are battling for #1 backup imo. A fourth QB is freshman Summerville who made a nice TD throw on the run threading the needle on tight coverage. Running game was not much. Longest from scrimmage may have been a ten yard burst, but I think the lack of the starters upfront may have been a big contributing factor.
Punting was no different than spring game--horribly inconsistent. Austin had a few nice 45 yarders, but mixed around some 30 yarders that were not hit well. Freshman, did not show any different. There was no place kicking. Likely holding off until next scrimmage before the real winnowing occurs.
Overall, I came away "hopeful". Nothing 'blew my socks off", but I also fell that there is a good cohesiveness within the team and defense gave me the impression of having the potential of really being solid. Let's see what shows in the next scrimmage.
RichH

Post by RichH » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:23 pm

Thanks. Great post.
The 2 hurt OL are Curlin and Motley. 77 is the frosh Kempsey.
Like CBs up.
A 4-3- 4 or a 4-2-4 with a Rover..

Was the O scheme any different at all?
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:25 am

ngineer wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:43 pm Well, here goes.I was at the scrimmage Saturday. A great day for any outdoor sport. The defense was definitely with the upper hand with good pressure by the front four. The secondary has showed good coverage and a frosh, Simpson, showed very good athleticism. I could see him getting PT if he keeps improving. Defense is basically a 5-3, but I like the CBs playing 'up' a lot. We have given too much cushion past years. With a good rush, and tight coverage, we can get some picks this year. A 'down' category in recent years.
Offense was missing 3 projected starters from the OL: Gurth, Rosen and#77, who was hurt last year. Brain fart on remembering name at the moment. Hopefully, absence due to precautions and nothing serious.
Monaco certainly appears to be the starter, not just because he lead off with the first unit, but he held himself as the #1. Appeared composed, not rattled by the rush, and shows a good arm with accuracy. Bescommer and Shoup are battling for #1 backup imo. A fourth QB is freshman Summerville who made a nice TD throw on the run threading the needle on tight coverage. Running game was not much. Longest from scrimmage may have been a ten yard burst, but I think the lack of the starters upfront may have been a big contributing factor.
Punting was no different than spring game--horribly inconsistent. Austin had a few nice 45 yarders, but mixed around some 30 yarders that were not hit well. Freshman, did not show any different. There was no place kicking. Likely holding off until next scrimmage before the real winnowing occurs.
Overall, I came away "hopeful". Nothing 'blew my socks off", but I also fell that there is a good cohesiveness within the team and defense gave me the impression of having the potential of really being solid. Let's see what shows in the next scrimmage.
Great recap 'Ngineer! The kicking game definitely needs to come around! I'm hopeful the OL will emerge once all the pieces are in place. Less than two weeks of practice left before they start planning for St. Francis...