Offensive Line

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
van

Re: Offensive Line

Post by van » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:14 pm

so I guess Monaco is a hand out if he is named as the starter

RichH

Post by RichH » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:22 pm

van wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:14 pm so I guess Monaco is a hand out if he is named as the starter
Dont think so. He has talent and maturity. That one of the younger QBs may be as good or better does not mean that he isnt good.
If, as some suspect, the coaches picked him regardless of camp performances , it would be unfair to the underclassmen.
From our perspective, the key issue is whether he can effectively run this O and score points. If he can and does, the staff was right to choose him.
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:58 pm

I don't believe Monaco was handed anything. He's had a quality reputation since he arrived at Lehigh. There was a reason he was the #2 last year. I felt all along he was destined for the job knowing he had to earn it the whole way.

If I'm Gilmore, I have a talented senior QB with another year of eligibility iirc. Having a 5th year QB of Monaco's potential could be a huge asset in 2020 given how young the 2-deep is shaping up to be.
LUFAN

Post by LUFAN » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:39 pm

Oh...so now we start kids in Division 1 football because of their reputation out of high school??? He was #2 because of what he did in HS?? I mean come on folks..that is not how the real world works. Ask Kelly Bryant...benched with a 16-2 record for a true freshman.
LUFAN

Post by LUFAN » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:42 pm

van wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:14 pm so I guess Monaco is a hand out if he is named as the starter
Nope. If he earns it at the end of the camp...then he earned it and will have his chance to prove himself and every fan and alum will support him. Being the “de facto” QB, as LFN accurately stated is not desirable.
RichH

Post by RichH » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:03 pm

Saturday may help to clarify most of the positions.
Thinking it may be a good time for some predictions as to starters. :D
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:33 pm

LUFAN wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:39 pm Oh...so now we start kids in Division 1 football because of their reputation out of high school??? He was #2 because of what he did in HS?? I mean come on folks..that is not how the real world works. Ask Kelly Bryant...benched with a 16-2 record for a true freshman.
I sense that you believe someone else should be in the #1 spot? This is something you've consistently questioned this summer.

I simply trust the kid and the staff if he's indeed the guy. If he's not the starter then I'll assume someone else had a helluva a camp and earned the gig.

I remember when a 2x LU-LC MVP was benched in favor of Lum. Like Kelly Bryant he opted to transfer.
Last edited by Go Lehigh TU Owl on Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:37 pm

LUFAN wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:42 pm
Nope. If he earns it at the end of the camp...then he earned it and will have his chance to prove himself and every fan and alum will support him. Being the “de facto” QB, as LFN accurately stated is not desirable.
I simply take "de facto" as he was groomed, positioned to be the heir apparent based on merit. No different than Mayes being the "de facto" qb when Shaf graduated or Colvin for Lum.

I honestly have no horse in the race so I could care less who starts. I just want to the team to win.
LUFAN

Post by LUFAN » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:36 am

Go Lehigh TU Owl wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:33 pm
LUFAN wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:39 pm Oh...so now we start kids in Division 1 football because of their reputation out of high school??? He was #2 because of what he did in HS?? I mean come on folks..that is not how the real world works. Ask Kelly Bryant...benched with a 16-2 record for a true freshman.
I sense that you believe someone else should be in the #1 spot? This is something you've consistently questioned this summer.

I simply trust the kid and the staff if he's indeed the guy. If he's not the starter then I'll assume someone else had a helluva a camp and earned the gig.

I remember when a 2x LU-LC MVP was benched in favor of Lum. Like Kelly Bryant he opted to transfer.
No I do not have an evaluation to share, I hope I have been clear in my comments. Just want to see LU Football back on top where it belongs. We need our edge back and that comes via fighting and competing. There is no secret in that formula.

Brad put up crazy numbers off the bench when Shaf was hurt to earn his position as heir apparent. Much different situation.
Last edited by LUFAN on Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
van

Post by van » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:07 am

I have not been to any practices or scrimmage, but the one report I saw from ngineer on the scrimmage noted that Monaco looked poised and accurate, which would be expected for a senior who should have the best grasp of the O, Shoup and Beesmer challenging for #2 spot and Summerville got some reps, looking forward to a report on tomorrow's scrimmage to see how things are shaping up