Bucknell's new QB

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
Sundayamqb

Bucknell's new QB

Post by Sundayamqb » Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:37 am

(I apologize if I missed this on another thread)

This guy's Lehigh genes are impressive, but so is Nick Semptimphelter's video:

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/7490514/5d ... 0f7004e35b

If he can get any kind of protection and some talented receivers, watch out ...

Lehigh4Life

Re: Bucknell's new QB

Post by Lehigh4Life » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:26 pm

Anyone know why Lehigh never offered? He was on campus in the Spring, watched practice, met with coaches..... But no offer.

Word on street is that he would have went to Bucknell anyway, liked Cecchini better than Gilmore..
lu90

Post by lu90 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:45 pm

I know that feeling....
RichH

Post by RichH » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:49 am

No idea why Brisson and TG wouldnt offer Nick. From what I know he.and his family wanted to come here. Seems to me that the situation was very poorly handled.
Lehigh74

Post by Lehigh74 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:08 am

Isn’t it possible that they liked another quarterback better and communicated that to him and his family in a kind and professional manner?
RichH

Post by RichH » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:17 pm

Guess they like Shapiro better. From what I gather tho there was no effort to communicate despite attempts by family. :cry:
Bison_137

Post by Bison_137 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:46 pm

It will be an interesting competition over the next couple years - but right now Semptimphelter appears to trail Bucknell's other recruited QB by a goodly margin. The other one, Tyler Beverett, had a May offer from Indiana (not the one in PA) and a lot of early interest from other big-time programs. However he was impressed by Cecchini and his Ryan Fitzpatrick endorsement. Also wanted to have a chance to play early in his career. Thus committed to Bucknell in early July. (Semptimphelter also committed in early July.)

Fwiw, Beverett had three stars from Rivals, ESPN, and 247. He had significantly better stats than Semptimphelter and faced much tougher competition. His Arizona team ranked #2 in that state, losing a close game in the final vs a much-larger undefeated program.

Final stats etc for the two:

TYLER BEVERETT: (6-3, 200 lbs)

- Team lost 42-35 in the finals of Arizona's top division.
- In that game, he passed for 230 yards and 2 TD's and ran for 103 yards.
- For the year, he completed 62% of his passes for 2246 yards and 27 TD's vs 4 INT's. Averaged 20 yards per completion.
- Also ran for 892 yards and 8 TD's, averaging about 12 ypc.
- His team went 11-2, with one loss against a very good California school and the other to Arizona's #1 team.

NICK SEMPTIMPHELTER: (6-1.5, 180 obs)

- Completed 68% of his passes for 2414 yards and 25 TD's vs 7 INT's. Averaged 16 per completion. Rarely ran the ball.
- Team went 8-5.

Beverett may get a chance to play early since he is a very good runner as well as a thrower, and Cecchini mostly runs the read option. Bucknell's starting QB this year was not recruited for that offense and didn't run it very well. Semptimphelter almost never ran the ball - which likely puts him at a disadvantage.
LUFAN

Post by LUFAN » Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:18 pm

Bison_137 wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:46 pm It will be an interesting competition over the next couple years - but right now Semptimphelter appears to trail Bucknell's other recruited QB by a goodly margin. The other one, Tyler Beverett, had a May offer from Indiana (not the one in PA) and a lot of early interest from other big-time programs. However he was impressed by Cecchini and his Ryan Fitzpatrick endorsement. Also wanted to have a chance to play early in his career. Thus committed to Bucknell in early July. (Semptimphelter also committed in early July.)

Fwiw, Beverett had three stars from Rivals, ESPN, and 247. He had significantly better stats than Semptimphelter and faced much tougher competition. His Arizona team ranked #2 in that state, losing a close game in the final vs a much-larger undefeated program.

Final stats etc for the two:

TYLER BEVERETT: (6-3, 200 lbs)

- Team lost 42-35 in the finals of Arizona's top division.
- In that game, he passed for 230 yards and 2 TD's and ran for 103 yards.
- For the year, he completed 62% of his passes for 2246 yards and 27 TD's vs 4 INT's. Averaged 20 yards per completion.
- Also ran for 892 yards and 8 TD's, averaging about 12 ypc.
- His team went 11-2, with one loss against a very good California school and the other to Arizona's #1 team.

NICK SEMPTIMPHELTER: (6-1.5, 180 obs)

- Completed 68% of his passes for 2414 yards and 25 TD's vs 7 INT's. Averaged 16 per completion. Rarely ran the ball.
- Team went 8-5.

Beverett may get a chance to play early since he is a very good runner as well as a thrower, and Cecchini mostly runs the read option. Bucknell's starting QB this year was not recruited for that offense and didn't run it very well. Semptimphelter almost never ran the ball - which likely puts him at a disadvantage.
May all be very true, but until camp begins it is impossible to see who can handle a college offense. Beverett certainly appears to have more natural athleticism, but IQ matters.....a lot.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:47 pm

If Semptenfelter is in the mold of his dad, he won't be much of a runner. Traditional drop back, in the pocket QB. I remember Scott having a tremendous arm. Could throw 70 yards. Had 'cup of coffee' with the Cowboys for one season if I recall.