Bucknell

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
jdalu75

Re: Bucknell

Post by jdalu75 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:25 pm

BP-LU87 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:47 pm Teams seem to have the book on Farro....Basically the opposite strategy of wrestling Randy Cruz or Matt Cuisulli.
Right; have a really tall 141-pounder on your team who can make 133 and throw in the legs and sit there the entire period on top. It's worked twice now. Also helps if you draw a ref who won't call a takedown in the final 10 seconds.

drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:50 pm

Get ready for some subs and switches; according to Dave Johnson, LUWrestlingNews on the scene; at least 17 made the trip; Lane, Moran likely
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:51 pm

The video is up way early; the dual definitely isn't in Sojka.
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:57 pm

Steve just said Farro at 133, Moran at 141, Pomrinca vs Arizona State next week for sure. David Campbell for Bucknell has a winning percentage of .357 at 141; wrestling him will probably lower RPI even if you win. Might be a strategic move to keep Ryan's RPI possibilities up.

I expect we'll see a few guys at the one of the Last Chance tourneys next Sunday.
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:20 pm

Another Loss for Farro. Appears Lane should go to the Open tnmt this weekend & pick up some wins & finish the season as our 133 pounder going into EIWA.

Lane has more upside IMO & has the height that Hurts Farro. Also like Moran to finish season for same reason at 141 due to his upside potential at EIWA.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:26 pm

Agree on Lane. Just seems opponents have Nick figured out and he hasn't figured out how to combat it. 141 a closer call. will reserve on that through the coming week.

Great to see Kutler and Chase get pins. Jordan has to really start becoming a 'mental' beast if he expects to get atop the podiums coming up. Nice to hear that more Lehigh fans showed up in Davis than Bison chips.
legger

Post by legger » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:20 am

**** A few observations from last night's dual and going forward:

1) Really concerned with Nick Farro. Stocky and strong, but opponents (even average ones) have figured him out. Just keep it close with him and at the end he will run out of gas. Additionally, if he does not get out with an initial stand up off the whistle, he is done. Really thinking it is time for Jaret Lane to take the spot. Yes he is probably too tall and lanky currently and needs additional strength, but he is explosive and has real fire in his gut.

2) The Pomrinca/Moran dilemma. Pomrinca has taken a lot of hits for the team and has won a number of matches. The problem is that even though he is a really good defensive wrestler and always has the potential to win a match, except against the Elite, he just cannot make himself open up until the last 30 seconds of most matches. That will not get it done come tournament time. Moran still needs both strength and seasoning, but brings it from the opening whistle. Will he do well if he is the guy for the EIWAs and potentially NCAAs?, (possibly yes for EIWAs, but probably not for NCAAs, where almost everyone is a Beast).

3) Meyer at 165. He is progressing and did well against Hartman last night and Skidgel and McCormick. He is still fairly short but is strong and maintains pretty good position. Can he place fairly high at the EIWAs? Potentially Yes. Can he make it to the NCAAs? Potentially Yes, but he will not go far there, but I think it would be great for him. He just needs more seasoning.

4) The rest of the team: Paetzel (like someone else said previously "all he does is win, win, win"). He has real fire in his gut. Hoffman, still recovering from injury but is another guy with fire in his gut. Humphreys, all the talent and strength in the world but lack of stature still a potential issue as taller guys can give him challenges, but most of the time he finds a way to win. Gotta love his 'in your face style". Kutler is a Beast plain and simple. He will be on the podium and Hall and Kemmerer better watch out. Weiler, when he brings it, which lately has been great, is a potential place winner. He seems to be peaking at the right time. Jakobsen, is a Beast on top and is starting to open up from neutral. His potential will be based on if he can get a TD or 2. If so, he has good potential. Wood, is good enough to place again, but the 285 weight class is tougher this year. He will need to open up more to place.

Just some observations from The Cheap Seats. I cannot wait for the EIWAs at Stabler. It will be a 4 team horse race. My guess at finishes are: 1) Lehigh, close over Princeton, 2) Princeton, (could have 4 Finalists: Glory, Kolodzik, Monday and Brucki), 3) Cornell a few more points back and 4) Army a few more back. See you at Stabler.
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:45 am

legger wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:20 am Just some observations from The Cheap Seats. I cannot wait for the EIWAs at Stabler. It will be a 4 team horse race. My guess at finishes are: 1) Lehigh, close over Princeton, 2) Princeton, (could have 4 Finalists: Glory, Kolodzik, Monday and Brucki), 3) Cornell a few more points back and 4) Army a few more back. See you at Stabler.
Add Navy into that mix if they have Tanner Skidgel back in the lineup and anywhere close to healthy.
ms64

Post by ms64 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:05 am

Is the open at ESU and LHU happening?
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:20 am

ms64 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:05 am Is the open at ESU and LHU happening?
I'm not sure what you're asking. The two opens are scheduled, at Lock Haven and East Stroudsburg (a lot closer).

Lehigh wrestles at Penn Thursday night and home against Arizona State Friday night. The tournaments are on Sunday. So guys still a bout or two short of qualifying for an RPI could go to a tourney and hope to wrestle the needed Div I bouts. The staff could also use one of the tournaments as a final wrestle-off; whoever does better goes to EIWAs. I don't particularly like that approach -- I think that after four months of live wrestling coaches should know what their guys are capable of and should make a decision. But it's a possibility.