Flo Conference Allocation Projections

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Spladle1989

Flo Conference Allocation Projections

Post by Spladle1989 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:29 am

125 - 6
133 - 2 (ouch) (Farro currently ranked 6th in EIWA at 133 by Flo)
141 - 5
149 - 5
157 - 4
165 - 6 (color me surprised, to me shows the overall weakness at 165 nationally this year, Meyer currently ranked 10th at 165 by Flo)
174 - 3
184 - 4
197 - 4
285 - 3

If Farro (or Lane for that matter) want a conference allocated slot, really going to have to battle at EIWA's.....have to figure Tucker as a finalist most likely....which leaves only 1 other spot......

I'm guessing we nail down 6 spots via conference allocation qualification and receive 1 or 2 wildcards....

whiz wit

Re: Flo Conference Allocation Projections

Post by whiz wit » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:15 am

Even after losing to Farro yesterday, I like Lane for the EIWAs. Farro's #3 in the current EIWA Composite (but I expect him to be downgraded in the next iteration) but has lost to two guys (Army and Bucknell) ranked lower than him and has also lost to Navy. Plus, Lane would seem to have much more potential for big bonus points for falls.
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:21 am

whiz wit wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:15 am Even after losing to Farro yesterday, I like Lane for the EIWAs. Farro's #3 in the current EIWA Composite (but I expect him to be downgraded in the next iteration) but has lost to two guys (Army and Bucknell) ranked lower than him and has also lost to Navy. Plus, Lane would seem to have much more potential for big bonus points for falls.
There's a difference between wrestling the varsity schedule and wrestling in opens. I think Farro won the spot yesterday.
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:21 am

Tough situation, always want to give them the chance earn the spot head to head but is that really what is best for the team? Much different wrestling a guy you see in the room everyday versus other team's competition.....not fun to be the coach in these situations......

And by the way to clarify I realize that Flo numbers are just projections, may be off a spot or two when they officially come out.....but usually pretty close......
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:33 am

Spladle1989 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:29 am 125 - 6
133 - 2 (ouch) (Farro currently ranked 6th in EIWA at 133 by Flo)
141 - 5
149 - 5
157 - 4
165 - 6 (color me surprised, to me shows the overall weakness at 165 nationally this year, Meyer currently ranked 10th at 165 by Flo)
174 - 3
184 - 4
197 - 4
285 - 3

If Farro (or Lane for that matter) want a conference allocated slot, really going to have to battle at EIWA's.....have to figure Tucker as a finalist most likely....which leaves only 1 other spot......

I'm guessing we nail down 6 spots via conference allocation qualification and receive 1 or 2 wildcards....
Casey Cobb, the other most likely to earn a spot at 133, lost against Army. It probably will be just two at 133. We'll have several at-large possibilities.

Might grab 5 at 157 -- Ladnier looks like his old self.

I don't know what's so hard to believe at 165. Grant Cuomo, who's ranked sixth in the EIWA, had a CP ranking of 23 and a .7778 winning percentage going into the final weekend. He's a lock and so are the five guys ahead of him.

We'll get 4 at 174 if Womack weighs in. His showing up at Lock Haven yesterday was all about earning an AQ.

We could pick up two at 184. Add Loew, who now has enough bouts for an RPI, and Stefanik pulled a big upset against Rutgers last night.

Could pick up 2 at 197 -- Koser with an upset against Army, and Phipps won a couple yesterday at MT2.

My guess is that we wind up with 45; 48 if things break right.
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:36 am

Spladle1989 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:21 am
And by the way to clarify I realize that Flo numbers are just projections, may be off a spot or two when they officially come out.....but usually pretty close......
Wait for Seton Hall Pirate's projections. He'll name names; he's more accurate than the NCAA.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:40 am

Hate to say it, probably the last time we had this situation was 2017, at 165 between Minotti vs Walter, What was done turned out to be wrong. But wrong because Minotti should have stayed at 157 and Kutler should have been at 165. Who knew. (there was always some confusion over 197, but the injury situation seemed to clarify, by EIWA.

In some sense this may be the toughest kind of decision coaches face in many sports. Even in unlimited substitution football, you can't freely change quarterbacks. Baseball, you can't but a guy back in. Hockey do you use the Zamboni driver or the Mascot as the third goalie. I guess it is easier in a multiple entry sport like swimming or track, I guess at 133, you want 6 seed instead of 5. Weren;t there only 2 spots at 125 2 years ago.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:07 am

IMO, when you 'arrange' a totally neutral wrestle-off in an Open you live with the results. Otherwise, why do it? What happened to Minotti was not good but it was one of those decisions coaches get paid to make. Minotti moved on and life moved on.

However, I do not believe history will repeat itself. Farro and Pomrinca won. Should be end of story. I know the guys in the room expect to start when they win wrestle-offs. The one caveat is non-winning as a starter. But why go to all the trouble of holding a neutral wrestle-off? Coach could have just made the change if he thought one guy didn't have it. The existence of the pairings suggests this was not the case. JDA is right with his observqation about wrestling in opens vs our schedule. There just wasn't enough separation so they wrestled-off. If either Farro or Pomrinca doesn't enter EIWAs it would cause an unnecessary controversy. On we go.
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:04 am

Not disputing any of that, at the same time as I said I'm not sure two guys who see each other in the room for months at a time "wrestling off" at a neutral site really determines who will do better against the field......also Farro's ability to make weight and be "solid" for a two day weigh in event worries me......

But you're correct, they really do have little choice at this point...... Farro and Pomrinca and on we go.......
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:13 am

Oracle wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:07 am IMO, when you 'arrange' a totally neutral wrestle-off in an Open you live with the results. Otherwise, why do it? What happened to Minotti was not good but it was one of those decisions coaches get paid to make. Minotti moved on and life moved on.

However, I do not believe history will repeat itself. Farro and Pomrinca won. Should be end of story. I know the guys in the room expect to start when they win wrestle-offs. The one caveat is non-winning as a starter. But why go to all the trouble of holding a neutral wrestle-off? Coach could have just made the change if he thought one guy didn't have it. The existence of the pairings suggests this was not the case. JDA is right with his observqation about wrestling in opens vs our schedule. There just wasn't enough separation so they wrestled-off. If either Farro or Pomrinca doesn't enter EIWAs it would cause an unnecessary controversy. On we go.
Well then, if Farro has a lousy tournament and the team narrowly loses the EIWA team title, at least you can say that Santoro avoided unnecessary controversy - until the team lost, that is.