Flo Conference Allocation Projections

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Oracle

Re: Flo Conference Allocation Projections

Post by Oracle » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:34 am

Ok --- let me dumb it down ---- what do you tell the guy who wins the spot head-to-head?
"Sorry pal, the fans think the other guy will do better than you."

At some point, it's about integrity, isn't it? Using your hindsight logic, there was absolutely no reason to enter them in the Lock Haven open, was there?

Obviously a tough call, but who won the bouts?

whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:38 am

I thought the purpose was more to give them some more bouts and see how they'd do against other opponents. Why go to Lock Haven for a wrestle-off? They could do it in Bethlehem and save some money.
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:53 am

whiz wit wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:38 am I thought the purpose was more to give them some more bouts and see how they'd do against other opponents. Why go to Lock Haven for a wrestle-off? They could do it in Bethlehem and save some money.
How dare you disagree with 'The Oracle'? He even dumbed it down for the rest of us, you know, so we could all approach beginning to understand his higher order thinking.

MH hopes for a win or two in the top or bottom bracket from either entry. We're not looking good for an qualifier at this weight. If its a 3 v 6 seed with Wert/Farro then maybe Lane is the play.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:00 pm

Get over yourself Mountain Hawk. You are as crazy a fan as any thinking you can annoint a guy by fiat. Farro beat Lane. Done. If you want to start - win your wrestle-off or didn't they teach you that in your sport -- tennis was it?

Yes, I have a strong opinion on this topic. I couldn't care less who agrees with me and even less that crazy as shithouse rat posters criticize me.
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:09 pm

I see that when Walter and Minotti wrestled off for the EIWA spot it was best two out of three - which is done in other wrestling situations and seems to me more fair than a one shot wrestle-off.

So if a Lane-Farro wrestle-off is to be determinative, wouldn't we expect it to be best two out of three as with Walter-Minotti and may not the fact that it was a single bout suggest that Santoro may be leaving himself some wiggle room?
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:22 pm

My son's high school golf coach had coached several other sports in his career (he was the semi-retired former AD for the school) but said his favorite was golf. It was because when the parents yelled because their kid wasn't playing, he could point to the scores and tell them that whoever scored lowest in practice got to play.

Wrestling coaches can't do that. Coach Santoro has at least two decisions ahead of him (could be more, based on the injury situation) and has to rely on his judgment. We'll only know the result of the path chosen, not the path not chosen; that path is always rosy. It's like with the pitcher who thinks "I shudda thrown the slider" after the fastball is crushed; maybe the batter can hit the slider too.
van

Post by van » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:30 pm

seems to me that either Farro or Lane is a good choice, very different styles which might be an advantage for one or the other dependent on opponent, coach has seen them both in the room and in competitions, so he is best to decide who goes to EIWA, one thing for sure, nobody on this board is better suited to make that decision
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:05 pm

The angst on this board about "defending the coaching staff" sometimes is unreal.......who is saying they should or should not do anything? (other than Mountain Hawk and it takes 8 guys to shout him down?)..... I am only expressing my concerns over a wrestle off deciding what is best for the team at this point in the season....If Farro is Pat's call, fine with that.....and I personally think Pomrinca is the move over Moran at this point in their respective careers......

Public wrestle off's late in the season like this don't make sense to me......if you think the play is Farro go with it, if you think it's Lane then go with that.... My personal feeling is by now the coach should know which one he feels will benefit the "team" most being in the lineup points wise and so on......having a public wrestle off this late in the year just causes public controversy and forces the coaches hand to some degree if the guy he doesn't want to wrestle (in his mind) wins....

But whatever, people can discuss this stuff without it being some type of "major indictment" of the coaching staff........I like Farro, and personally I think he is the more complete wrestler at this point..... just have some concerns about his gassing late in matches lately and having to weigh in two days in a row for the tourney.....maybe Lane gets a few more team points because he's more of a pinner..... just an idle fans thoughts, not some type of bashing on the coach
gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:03 pm

whiz wit wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:09 pm I see that when Walter and Minotti wrestled off for the EIWA spot it was best two out of three - which is done in other wrestling situations and seems to me more fair than a one shot wrestle-off.

So if a Lane-Farro wrestle-off is to be determinative, wouldn't we expect it to be best two out of three as with Walter-Minotti and may not the fact that it was a single bout suggest that Santoro may be leaving himself some wiggle room?
How do you know it wasn't also based on other factors?
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:09 pm

gimpeltf wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:03 pm
whiz wit wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:09 pm I see that when Walter and Minotti wrestled off for the EIWA spot it was best two out of three - which is done in other wrestling situations and seems to me more fair than a one shot wrestle-off.

How do you know it wasn't also based on other factors?
I don't. But when they have a best of three competition shortly before the EIWAs and Walter wins, and he gets the EIWA slot, a fair inference is that he got the slot because he won. If you'd like to supplement the public record with additional insider information, I'd be happy to consider it.