YEA...LEHIGH!!!

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
Sundayamqb

Re: YEA...LEHIGH!!!

Post by Sundayamqb » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:57 am

Some thoughts, including one I haven't seen anyone else note (I've not yet read LFN):

-- This game was the kind this team has not won regularly in a few years. Up a score, close at the end and basically give it away. To THIS TEAM'S CREDIT, it NEVER gave up! It overcome two really bad turnovers and those guys knew, when they came out for the FG (after nearly blocking one earlier and getting called for a BIG penalty) someone would block it.

That's CONFIDENCE and CAMARADERIE.

Maybe not enough to compete with Nova or Navy, but enough, assuming all goes OK, to do well in the PL. I just hope no one gets hurt next two weeks and team isn't embarrassed.

Some other thoughts:

-- The OL should be decent if guys learn the plays, stay healthy and execute. From top to bottom, even FCS and DII teams should be stacked several deep with quality OLs.

-- D played much better, As good as the overall rushing stats might have appeared, the starter got 82 yards on 23 carries, not bad. The QB had a big rushing loss (and some poor throws) and the backup RB was sketchy. The good news: No real BIG plays. Last year D gave up some HUGE runs. I'm not on the bandwagon yet. How will giving up 300 yards against SFU into yardage vs. future opponents? We'll find out one game at a time.

-- O was vanilla too often, like many opening days. They've got to be careful not to wear Brags out. Loved the 4th and 1 TD call: Brags and in. If we're not going to give QB time to throw, mix some quick stuff in. I like the idea of passing more to RBs and TE.

-- ST: Mish was good. Not impressed with returns or return coverage. We have not had an advantage there for years.

-- VIDEO COVERAGE: Anyone else watching the stream give up in the fourth quarter? Video got really bad -- on two devices -- so I listened to end of game on TuneIn audio.

Hawkineer

Post by Hawkineer » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:36 am

Nice win. As others have said, this was a loss last year. My biggest complaint was the last lack of offensive aggressiveness in the 4th quarter. Coen seemed like he was trying to run out the clock rather than putting a dagger in SFU's heart. It almost bit us in the backside.
Lehigh74

Post by Lehigh74 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:16 pm

Totally agree with the criticism of the overly conservative play calling in the 4th quarter. Coen was playing not to
lose rather than going for the win.
RichH

Post by RichH » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:17 pm

Virtually unanimous that we went too conservative in 4th.
Whole game was vanilla. Guess partly to not give Nova much to look at. Brisson showed little. No screens or flares to Brags, no seam routes or rub patterns.
Stream was OK except for about 10 minutes in 4th. It did come back.
Agree on D. Impressed with tackling and hustle. Very few missed tackles. Suits did a lot of rotation on D on all levels but particularly on DL. It worked.
Key going forward is OL.Riccotilli and Gurth need to sync up. Playing time will do the trick. Fast enuf for next week? Geez I hope so. I note that only 5 linemen played. We have O depth. Some time and Fris Maciejewski and Rivera will fill it in.
While Pelletier and Casey cannot be replaced, our WR corps is quite good albeit a lot shorter :roll:. Portorreal and Christiano are special . Throw in a healthy Kelsey and we are a nasty matchup for anyone.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:46 pm

I think Brisson purposely kept a good portion of the playbook closed. I was concerned about letting the air out of the ball in the fourth quarter. We can hang with Villanova if we clean up our mistakes. SFU game should not have been that close. Mark of a good team is how much it improves from week 1 to week 2. I look forward to seeing Bragalone and the new RB in the same backfield. Can really put pressure on the LBs to worry about both, as well as passing to Brags. Getting him out in the open is exciting. I thought it interesting that Coen sent the team into the locker room right after the handshake rather than the usual post game meeting on the field among the different units. New approach in general, or a different reason?
RichH

Post by RichH » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:56 pm

A 2 RB set would be great. A matchup nightmare for others. Will he? I hope but dont see it. Brisson is good but not yet creative outside of what we already do.