LEHIGH @ the EIWA's... Day Two

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
NothingMeaningful

Re: LEHIGH @ the EIWA's... Day Two

Post by NothingMeaningful » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:46 pm

Congratulations to the Mountain buzzards for their dominating win. They brought more horses to the game than everyone else, obviously. Knock 'em dead at NCAAs.

Interesting that Cornell took four out of five in head-to-head matches against Lehigh. Not interesting enough, though. That's not the way their matches typically go, IIRC.

I'm not so convinced that Princeton will do so well at NCAAs. Brucki has lost to a number of guys now; Kolodzik should have been called for stalling at the end of the final against Richard, and all the . Not sure how many points Monday can get. Only two others going to Minneapolis.

If you can't dominate the EIWAs (like Humphreys, Kutler, and Wood), can you succeed at the NCAAs?

lu_alum

Post by lu_alum » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:42 am

NothingMeaningful wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:55 pm
lu_alum wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:31 pm Why does Pomrinca even bother to put on a singlet? If you cannot commit to a shot against a 133 pounder, why bother? He has three chances to win one bout for an NCAA bid, and he’s gonna semi-slide his way out of the opportunity.
That 133 pounder is 4-1 against those 141ers this weekend, and going to Minneapolis in two weeks.
I was happy for Baughman that he finally punched his ticket to NCAA after two years of coming up short.

And Pom managed to avoid a semi-slide, despite showing absolutely no offense. It bothers me that he managed to get a bid while Hoffman is currently on the outside looking in.
LU in the Hub

Post by LU in the Hub » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:20 am

Why would it "bother" you? Pomrinca was seeded 7th. and finished 5th. upsetting the #1 wrestler in the EIWA in the process. Things like this happen every year.

Agree on one thing, it's a shame Jimmy Hoffman got injured on a cheap shot this year. I think it put a lower ceiling on what he was able to do. The kid definitely must have busted his heinie in the off season to make the jump that he did.
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:35 am

It's an indication of how deep 149 (and some of the other weight classes) was that a good wrestler like Matt Kolonia didn't place. Ogunsanya's also on the outside looking in. It hurt that Prince wasn't in a position to earn an allocated spot.

There are only four at-large spots available at 149. Cross your fingers; at-larges are announced on Tuesday, if my failing memory serves.
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:39 am

LU in the Hub wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:20 am
Agree on one thing, it's a shame Jimmy Hoffman got injured on a cheap shot this year. I think it put a lower ceiling on what he was able to do. The kid definitely must have busted his heinie in the off season to make the jump that he did.
Amen. I viewed Hoffman as a solid "depth" recruit; granted, the seeding process contributed to the odd matchups at 149 (Kolodzik, Prince, and Clarke all on the same side of the bracket), but Hoffman still drew the 2nd seed in his first year as a starter and I don't know that many expected that. I would have liked to see him on two sound legs.
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:41 am

Farro was the call at 133.
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:49 am

Mountain Hawk wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:41 am Farro was the call at 133.
I'm happy to have been wrong on that one. He wrestled a smart and intense rematch against Wert and a very good tournament overall.
jess

Post by jess » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:33 am

Seeded 7, knocked off the 2 seed, avenged a loss to a guy who took out the 1 seed the day before. These guys fight hard and are pushing through a tough tournament. Anyone qualifying for nationals is deserving.
mookie

Post by mookie » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:39 am

After the fact and doesn't much matter now but Paetzell wasn't pinned.
gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:57 am

mookie wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:39 am After the fact and doesn't much matter now but Paetzell wasn't pinned.
Not all that sure, spladles don't have a good viewpoint to tell and they never look like they're pinned since the pinnee usually looks like his upper body is almost vertical. Remember that any part of the scapula counts and that goes farther down the back than it often seems. I was right there and agree that for most part he was pretty far up. But I noticed he settled slightly and I got worried, then the ref called it.