2020 lineup

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
RichH

Re: 2020 lineup

Post by RichH » Wed May 20, 2020 11:59 am

PL has historically been a QB centric league. Still is albeit to a somewhat lesser degree. Pretty sure we all would like a McQuilken, Stambaugh et al at QB every year. Perhaps one of our QBs will develop into one. I hope so but as of now I dont see one who can take over a game.
My point is simply that we have studs at RB, WR and TE. QB's function is to get them the ball.Make the right reads. Minimize mistakes. Given our OL issues our QB needs to have pocket presence to extend plays. Moreover,since RPOs are a big part of our QB must be able to run.

TMH

Post by TMH » Wed May 20, 2020 1:54 pm

I recall Lehigh as having a QB centric approach to offense but not the PL as much. Of course there are exceptions but Colgate's succes was typically built around a running game behind huge offensive lines. Fordham had the biggest success with an offense built around Chase Edmond.
Lehigh got it's reputation as Air Lehigh because it stood out in contrast to the rest of the league.

I'm beginning to sound like a true contrarian and need to get out of the house more :-)

I fully agree that we have some real studs at the positions mentioned but 2018 should have illustrated that it means nothing without a stable OL. Lehigh is at it's best when we have good balance. The running game opens up the passing game and visa versa. Without it, defenses can adjust easily. There are no shortage of viable candidates at QB. What we need is for one of them to take the big step to the next level much like Bialkowski did the last time this situation presented itself.
LU808

Post by LU808 » Wed May 20, 2020 3:14 pm

Prior two years
LUFAN

Post by LUFAN » Wed May 20, 2020 5:45 pm

RichH wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 11:59 am PL has historically been a QB centric league. Still is albeit to a somewhat lesser degree. Pretty sure we all would like a McQuilken, Stambaugh et al at QB every year. Perhaps one of our QBs will develop into one. I hope so but as of now I dont see one who can take over a game.
My point is simply that we have studs at RB, WR and TE. QB's function is to get them the ball.Make the right reads. Minimize mistakes. Given our OL issues our QB needs to have pocket presence to extend plays. Moreover,since RPOs are a big part of our QB must be able to run.
3rd and 7. DC has the perfect coverage and pressure scheme...QB slips out and runs for first down. THAT is what drives a DC crazy and changes games.
van

Post by van » Wed May 20, 2020 6:44 pm

of course a well thrown ball on 1st or 2nd down is pretty good too
TMH

Post by TMH » Wed May 20, 2020 6:45 pm

I just noticed how spoiled we've been at the QB position over the last decade

2010 Lum 2,881 yds
2011 Lum 4,378 yds
2012 Colvin 3,108 yds
2013 Bialkowski/Shaf 3,216 yds
2014 Shafnisky with torn lig in throwing shoulder 2,373 yds
2015 Shafnisky /Mayes 3,017 yds
2016 Shafnisky/Mayes 3,875 yds
2017 Mayes 3,886 yds
2018 Mayes with no OL 2,083 yds

Last year was a bit of an aberration at QB, not because of a lack of talent there but lack of experience combined with a new system and an OL that was still out of kilter IMO.

If we learned nothing else form 2018 it's that studs at the skill positions means little if the horses up front aren't operating on all cylinders.
LUFAN

Post by LUFAN » Wed May 20, 2020 7:19 pm

van wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 6:44 pm of course a well thrown ball on 1st or 2nd down is pretty good too
For sure, but as a former DC...not nearly as frustrating. Getting off the field on 3rd down is the real challenge.
RichH

Post by RichH » Thu May 21, 2020 10:58 am

No offense will perform consistently without a solid OL. A unit we haven't had over the last 2 years.We return everyone plus Rosen this year. Injuries have been a factor particularly for Mayes senior year. Last season somewhat but the new OL coach seemed unable to decide on a starting unit. A revolving door of position switches and faces for most of the season. Unit didnt start to settle in until the last 2-3 games. Another new OL asst for this year who will face a daunting task of creating a cohesive unit without Spring practice and off season unit drills. Fingers crossed.
A QB that can be a threat to run is a plus for any offense. Particularly ours with the RPO sets. It is not the be all and end all for offense. Nor is a QB who can throw 40 yd ropes. Offense runs through the QB. His decisions will determine the outcomes of most plays. The ability to make correct reads quickly and execute that play is to me the crucial need at QB.
We've had QBs with big arms and could run. Ideal on paper. Not so much on the field however. Making correct reads consistently eluded them.
RichH

Post by RichH » Thu May 21, 2020 11:36 am

LU has closed the campus until 8/1. The NCAA yesterday ruled that colleges can start on campus voluntary activities for football and basketball on 6/1.
Will Lehigh adapt to this event?
van

Post by van » Thu May 21, 2020 11:58 am

RichH wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 10:58 am No offense will perform consistently without a solid OL. A unit we haven't had over the last 2 years.We return everyone plus Rosen this year. Injuries have been a factor particularly for Mayes senior year. Last season somewhat but the new OL coach seemed unable to decide on a starting unit. A revolving door of position switches and faces for most of the season. Unit didnt start to settle in until the last 2-3 games. Another new OL asst for this year who will face a daunting task of creating a cohesive unit without Spring practice and off season unit drills. Fingers crossed.
A QB that can be a threat to run is a plus for any offense. Particularly ours with the RPO sets. It is not the be all and end all for offense. Nor is a QB who can throw 40 yd ropes. Offense runs through the QB. His decisions will determine the outcomes of most plays. The ability to make correct reads quickly and execute that play is to me the crucial need at QB.
We've had QBs with big arms and could run. Ideal on paper. Not so much on the field however. Making correct reads consistently eluded them.
+1