Time for a change?

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Oracle

Re: Time for a change?

Post by Oracle » Fri May 22, 2020 8:44 am

Weight training is pervasive today whereas it was spotty back in the day. Weight training has actually mitigated injuries given the doubling and in some cases tripling of bouts per year. Strengthening muscles around the joints is very helpful but positions such as the leg pass-through and those attempting to 'rubber knee' like Kolat are mainly responsible for these injuries. Pass-throughs should be illegal and anyone rubber-kneeing it to avoid a take down should be called for stalling. Giving up a TD off a good, deep shot isn't the end of the world -- jeopardizing your own joint is just silly. Why it's being taught and coached is a mystery. This is where the rules committee has to step in a fix it. Retired coaches only, like Greg Strobel, Bruce Burnett and Bobby Douglas --- no active coaches along with former wrestler orthopaedic doctors and 1 AD from every D1 conference.

jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Fri May 22, 2020 9:10 am

It's not just in wrestling. Look at a sport like baseball, where nobody lifted weights 40 years ago. Now everyone in the lineup can go deep to dead center; but lots of players are injured so much that they only play half the time, and they're playing hurt half of that time.
TMH

Post by TMH » Fri May 22, 2020 10:07 am

I understand how muscle development around the joints helps mitigate injuries but isn't that offset by the extra torque that is now applied by by today's bulked up wrestlers?

Will a one semester season lead to more drilling and strength/conditioning training rather than live contact allowing the body to rest and rejuvenate better or will we compressing a 6 month wrestling season into 4?
mookie

Post by mookie » Fri May 22, 2020 10:28 am

Laughing how so many think these kids are such fragile flowers.
TMH

Post by TMH » Fri May 22, 2020 10:50 am

Right mook,

The season before last year, we were expected to challenge to be top 3 or 4 in the country. Tell me the story again about what happened to our 1st 5 weight classes.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Fri May 22, 2020 11:05 am

Stronger opponents are not the cause of injury. Everyone is strong on the D1 level, including Lehigh. It's the positions and scrambles that cause injury....see above post. Why is no one commenting? You try to fight off a TD from a guy who is in too deep and you will get injured. These kids are being coached to save any and every position. While their is a time and a place for that, it's not in the first 30 seconds of a match. The number of stalemates called these days is way too many. It's stalling, not stale-ing. If a wrestler reached between the crotch to counter and cannot improve his position in a 5 count, it should be a warning. Next time a point. Wrestle to either score or improve your position, not to create a stalemate -- IMO that's really just stalling. Might offend others' narrative but that's how I see it. And it's boring.

There are plenty of instances where a wrestler does improve his position and counters for a TD -- but they should do it without the leg pass-through. That should be outlawed ASAP.
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Fri May 22, 2020 1:14 pm

What you're saying is what Reg Wicks told me at the Crossroads Hotel years ago, during a break in EIWAs. I guess it was during the late '80s. I asked about all the injuries "these days" -- more than 30 years ago -- and his response was a sigh and "kids are so athletic these days". He meant what you're saying -- they wouldn't give up on a "lost" position, and the result too frequently was an injury.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Fri May 22, 2020 4:10 pm

jdalu75 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 1:14 pm What you're saying is what Reg Wicks told me at the Crossroads Hotel years ago, during a break in EIWAs. I guess it was during the late '80s. I asked about all the injuries "these days" -- more than 30 years ago -- and his response was a sigh and "kids are so athletic these days". He meant what you're saying -- they wouldn't give up on a "lost" position, and the result too frequently was an injury.
...... Thank you.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Fri May 22, 2020 8:27 pm

I wasn't referring to weight training, stretching and aerobic exercising. The constant repetitive stress and torque on the joints/spine is what wears the body down. Years ago, people saw a cash cow in all of these tournaments with the pitch that people needed to be "discovered". Follow the money.
TMH

Post by TMH » Fri May 22, 2020 10:47 pm

I'm not sure where this became an either/or debate. Everything we discussed is a contributing factor to injuries.