Navy game

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
TMH

Re: Navy game

Post by TMH » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:14 pm

Well, it looks like we have some depth at tailback. Florence apparently scared a lot of people awy from this game. I circled the stadium three times and found just a few brown shirt. Even Navy fans did't show up as the stadium seemed half empty even with 30 K tickets sold.

With that being said, who are we holding back the play calling for now? From my spot in the stands it seemed like heads...we run up the middle, tails a quick pass to the outside. IMHO, I thought we were very predictable. I fully understand that our line was thin but in the past we tended to roll the pocket outside to give our QB some extra time and the receivers to get downfield in these situations. Allen caught 1 pass and it went for 13 yards.

RichH

Post by RichH » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:19 pm

3 games now and the same vanilla O. Very little adaptation so far. I can speculate but I have.no real idea why.
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:15 am

RichH wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:19 pm 3 games now and the same vanilla O. Very little adaptation so far. I can speculate but I have.no real idea why.
Seems like -- I can't prove it -- vanilla O is this team's MO past several years, almost like OC's saving it for the Patriot League. This year it makes sense with all the newcomers trying to learn plays and trying to play better competition, especially on the OL and this week's RB.

Just a thought on coaches and team leaders' temperaments. I've been around multiple high school, college and high-level amateur team sports a long time as a player, coach, dad and official. There are times for showing emotion and times when it's best to suck it up for the good of the team. Sometimes other things work better.

Bottom line: Coaches and teammates must deal with dozens of kids who either react well to screaming or don't. They're all different. It's all about the message you're sending and how it's received -- and messages are received differently by kids today vs. years ago.

I have no idea what our team leaders are saying, but as junior and senior leaders, they should know by now what kind and tenor of comments are effective and what aren't. The proof is in what happens after they deliver the comments. If some underclassmen don't react well to the comments or temperament, it's on the leaders to communicate more effectively.

Effective communication is a hallmark of great leaders.

Everyone can learn life lessons as we prepare to move onto the next stages of our lives.
mookie

Post by mookie » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:03 am

Oh boy here we go with "life lessons" learned from football.
datruph

Post by datruph » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:27 am

FBS games are great for us as long as we stay healthy. It forces us to play faster and tougher. We will see the benefits the rest of the year. It also helps recruiting. I look at the Navy game as all positive. Yes, they beat us but the more you play that level the higher the level of play and coaching becomes. The players are forced to get better and the coaches are forced to game plan better. That will trickle down in a positive way verse lessor opponents. Penn is horrible and Bucknell worse. Look for us to bounce back and everybody will settle down. Im not happy with us just winning the Patriot league but it seems thats our goal. Until we can offer equal scholarships then it is unreal for us to expect the coaches to produce more post season wins. The playing fields are not equal. I would hate for us to drop to a lower level so for now, we must continue to improve. Upgrade our facilities, give out more equipment and schedule decent opponents. I do think Lehigh needs a major shot in the arm to boost interest and help recruiting. If not, I do think things will go south, quickly. From what I hear things may be on the horizon. As far as all this nonsense on the forum with fathers defending there kids all I can say, is if your going to go around threatening to fight every fan who bashes your kid your in the wrong business. Kids get booed at 8u level of football. Grow up dad and let your kid fight through the tough times. It will make him a better player and person. Hes probably embarrassed as hell that you posted that and has to get the respect back from the players. GO LEHIGH...
mookie

Post by mookie » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:03 pm

Why wait for Fordham why not just meet in Philly before or after the Penn game? Or even during the game... that might be more entertaining.
QBdad

Post by QBdad » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:03 pm

datruph wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:27 am FBS games are great for us as long as we stay healthy. It forces us to play faster and tougher. We will see the benefits the rest of the year. It also helps recruiting. I look at the Navy game as all positive. Yes, they beat us but the more you play that level the higher the level of play and coaching becomes. The players are forced to get better and the coaches are forced to game plan better. That will trickle down in a positive way verse lessor opponents. Penn is horrible and Bucknell worse. Look for us to bounce back and everybody will settle down. Im not happy with us just winning the Patriot league but it seems thats our goal. Until we can offer equal scholarships then it is unreal for us to expect the coaches to produce more post season wins. The playing fields are not equal. I would hate for us to drop to a lower level so for now, we must continue to improve. Upgrade our facilities, give out more equipment and schedule decent opponents. I do think Lehigh needs a major shot in the arm to boost interest and help recruiting. If not, I do think things will go south, quickly. From what I hear things may be on the horizon. As far as all this nonsense on the forum with fathers defending there kids all I can say, is if your going to go around threatening to fight every fan who bashes your kid your in the wrong business. Kids get booed at 8u level of football. Grow up dad and let your kid fight through the tough times. It will make him a better player and person. Hes probably embarrassed as hell that you posted that and has to get the respect back from the players. GO LEHIGH...
First someone calls out my son specifically and now datruph feels like he has to respond directly and tell me to grow up. Really? First of all, I am well aware that fans bash players at all levels and at all positions, especially the QB position. This is not new to me at all. However, just as the basher has the right to talk crap about my son, which he/she does, so do I have the right to respond to that basher. Isn't that correct? Don't I have the same rights?
Second, I never threatened anyone. I clearly invited Philly Chuck to meet with me in person so that we could further discuss what he thinks about my son and why the team would be better off without him. My son has no problem fighting his own battles and fighting through the tough times, but as his dad I will ALWAYS have his back. Until I take my last breath I will have my son's back.
As a matter of fact, I will always stick up for the individual players that are called out on this forum. Which by the way, is not supposed to happen. I came on here two years ago and stuck up for Shafnisky when you guys were bashing him directly. This site is not for that. At least that's what I thought.
So you fans, alumni and/or parents can get on here anytime and talk about how you would do so much better making tackles or throwing the ball or calling plays and make yourselves feel good, but just know some parents won't sit back and allow you to talk crap about their sons without responding. Do you guys really expect that? Did Philly Chuck really think he wasn't going to get a response? Did you datruph really think you could tell me to grow up and not get a response?
Well datruph if you would like me to fit you in after the Fordham game, I would be glad to sit down with you as well and you can explain to me more in person how I need to grow up. I'm sure I can fit you in after Philly Chuck. Just for the record, this is not a threat either. I am just offering a different place for you guys to express your thoughts and opinions rather than sitting behind your computer with your anonymous user names. I have learned over the years that things are always much better when done in person.
As I requested Philly Chuck to keep my son's name out of his mouth, I would appreciate you doing the same for me. Thanks. GO LEHIGH!!!!!!!!!
Player

Post by Player » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:35 pm

Bravo Brad's Dad I have met and talked with tour son. You have every right to be proud. He is well spoken,polite and really cares. You don't mention how he chose Lehigh over FBS and other FCS schools. Is he perfect at all times? No. If he was he would not fit in with his school and team mates. If you want to read how a Boy can turn into a Man while not being a perfect college undergrad, read "Faith of Our Fathers"
You lead by being part of the group and sharing their frustrations , highs and lows.
Mays stood in there behind a make shift line , minus his All American Tailback.and kept getting the ball out. By the way his stats were adequate. You have no idea of the difference between Patriot League size and speed vs the FBS.
Did I complain during the game? Sure, but I complain during all games.In the end the team competed and earned the respect of the TV Announcers and Navy players. This week we will beat Penn , get some starters back utilize a new running back and stop the negativity about the players .
Does the League need to adjust? Yes but that is another story
justanotherdad

Post by justanotherdad » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:19 am

I'm BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACk

you threaten to beat me up at the Georgetown game at halftime- you should be thrown of the site!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
justanotherdad

Post by justanotherdad » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:20 am

my son graduated and is doing well and #90 left a legacy at Lehigh Football