Week-End Salvo -Special Early East Coast Edition

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
jdalu75

Re: Week-End Salvo -Special Early East Coast Edition

Post by jdalu75 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:07 pm

Is anyone pleased with our incoming class of recruits? I sure am, especially after being told by our coach that it was going to be an off year because we didn't have much aid available. One year ago today our only commitment was from Sheldon Seymour. TJ Moore was our second, on 7/24/19. I'm not going to waste time doing it, but if I go back a year, either on this forum or the Wrestling Report Lehigh forum, I'm sure that I'll see the same posters complaining about the same subject.

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:27 pm

This year’s class did fill out nicely without a lot of full rides with kids that were not really highly ranked at this point last year but that had really good senior years.

Fact of the matter is that this year we have the scholarships to offer & our EIWA competitors are kicking our ass signing truly top ranked studs that have excelled as underclassman.

If we are only offering half rides for these superstars as drd suggests then shame on us & no wonder we strike out with the studs.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:29 am

Sheepdog wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:27 pm This year’s class did fill out nicely without a lot of full rides with kids that were not really highly ranked at this point last year but that had really good senior years.

Fact of the matter is that this year we have the scholarships to offer & our EIWA competitors are kicking our ass signing truly top ranked studs that have excelled as underclassman.

If we are only offering half rides for these superstars as drd suggests then shame on us & no wonder we strike out with the studs.
>>>>>>>> Without knowing the ins and outs of LU's financial aid strategy (wrestling,) it's silly to second guess. We don't offer $6,000/year which is an institutional policy, not wrestling's. So even a full ride would fall short. I agree with what we are doing as with only 9.9 coach has to be strategic -- and is. Cornell has more than 9.9, so do all the other Ivies. Army and Navy are free and they pay their guys as well. A lot of you guys seem to think Lehigh should start acting like B1G or Power 5 school. It's just not going to happen. Get over it.

"I run my unit the way I run my unit. You wanna investigate me, go ahead -- roll the dice."
Col. Nathan Jessup from 'A Few Good Men'
mookie

Post by mookie » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:15 am

Kutler & Wood were mini whales. Letters & Trenge were Orcas. Need to boat more Orcas.
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:20 am

mookie wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:15 am Kutler & Wood were mini whales. Letters & Trenge were Orcas. Need to boat more Orcas.
I want Moby Dick.
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:47 am

Mr. Dick wouldn't make weight.

Letters and Trenge were from a different era. The current approach is that our staff wants depth, not a handful of stars with holes in the lineup (which is Princeton's current situation). Given that we've just won three EIWA team titles with lots of backups in the lineup, I can see the point. Given also that we can't match Power 5 offers financially and we can't match Ivy prestige (or, in some cases, their financial offers), it's a good approach to have.

I'd love to see a new Darryl Burley step right into the lineup and be Top 3 from the get-go; that was Trenge, and we'll always wonder how good he'd have been if he'd been issued a good set of eyes. But today Princeton, Penn, and Harvard will be bending over backwards to accommodate Burley II, Cornell will be telling him that he can win national titles AND contribute to a team title effort, and the power schools will be waving dollars, team titles, and Olympic chances in his face. Makes recruiting him a little harder.
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:16 am

Speaking of the staff, I wonder when there will be an announcement as to Hughes' replacement. That slot's been open for a long time.
gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:19 am

jdalu75 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:47 am I'd love to see a new Darryl Burley step right into the lineup and be Top 3 from the get-go;
Burley was an easier recruit for us in many ways. He lost in State semis junior year and then won senior year. Went to Iowa (back when Fargo was in Iowa so to speak) and placed 2nd. So didn't have a lot of people knocking on the door until late senior year.
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:07 am

whiz wit wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:16 am Speaking of the staff, I wonder when there will be an announcement as to Hughes' replacement. That slot's been open for a long time.
Lehigh's under a hiring freeze, last I heard.
gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:55 am

jdalu75 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:07 am
whiz wit wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:16 am Speaking of the staff, I wonder when there will be an announcement as to Hughes' replacement. That slot's been open for a long time.
Lehigh's under a hiring freeze, last I heard.
To some extent, that depends on Zach's position. It doesn't show on the site but he took the test to be a non-volunteer assistant. Is a volunteer a problem during a hiring freeze?