Week-End Salvo -Special Early East Coast Edition

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
jdalu75

Re: Week-End Salvo -Special Early East Coast Edition

Post by jdalu75 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:24 pm

gimpeltf wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:55 am
jdalu75 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:07 am
whiz wit wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:16 am Speaking of the staff, I wonder when there will be an announcement as to Hughes' replacement. That slot's been open for a long time.
Lehigh's under a hiring freeze, last I heard.
To some extent, that depends on Zach's position. It doesn't show on the site but he took the test to be a non-volunteer assistant. Is a volunteer a problem during a hiring freeze?
A good question for which I have no answer. I also don't remember if Zach's promotion was a temporary move or permanent. I don't expect the coaching situation to be sorted out until after the freeze is lifted, in any event.

mookie

Post by mookie » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:04 pm

Keep an eye on Eddie Ventresca.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doR8-jheohY
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:16 pm

mookie wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:04 pm Keep an eye on Eddie Ventresca.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doR8-jheohY
Committed to VTech. That's ok. "Ventresca" is the belly of the tuna. We don't want a fish (other than a whale).
mookie

Post by mookie » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:38 pm

Noooooo. :x
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:57 pm

Trey Kribe just committed to Hokies also....although not sure where he would have fit in at LU
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:41 pm

Maybe not landing the Whales has something to do with missing John Hughes. We should be able to compete against the power 5 for Pa, NJ & NY kids. We have to target a kid & let our recruits help reel them into the fold. We cannot spread our 9.9 & expect to compete at the highest level of our sport.

Our signs say “We want National Champions” so go after the best to make that happen. Humphreys is our best existing talent to achieve that goal.
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:52 pm

>>Maybe not landing the Whales has something to do with missing John Hughes.

..... That's the spirit; conclude something -- anything -- with the first coaching change in 10 years. Don't forget the cynics who spent time demanding some movement in the coaching staff.

>> We should be able to compete against the power 5 for Pa, NJ & NY kids.

..... Tell that to Spencer Lee and his four teammates from PA. And the two Hidlays at NCS. And ... never mind.
We compete -- very well, just not enough for those struggling to understand that in prior decades CU, VT, MO, NCS and others weren't formidable recruiting hurdles. Hell, in Strobel's middle years PSU wasn't yet formidable.

>>We have to target a kid & let our recruits help reel them into the fold. We cannot spread our 9.9 & expect to compete at the highest level of our sport.

..... We have to trust our coaching staff to know how they get enough talent to rank among the top 10 in recruiting, NCAA finalists, most yr with 3 A/As and also most Top 10 dual teams. We certainly don't need to waste time offering advice to the 1 of the best/smartest coaches in the nation.
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:54 pm

BTW, I wouldn't know beans about who's receiving a half-ride

My only point was that when funds run down -- and they have to offer a 50% package, then that package -- and that package only -- will cost a family a ton more than a half ride at a the cheaper schools. Which is most of them.
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:14 pm

>>> We have not landed one stud recruit yet from the rising seniors while our EIWA competition is loading up.

.... The Ivies certainly are -- not the rest of the league. Do you ever wonder why they land so many early commits?

>>> We have plenty of scholarships.

.... How's your abacus working? Try defining 'plenty'. There are 1-2 possible 6th-yr exceptions and I see a lot of young guns on the roster likely soaking up grant money - and nobody here knows who's receiving need-based aid (and no, I'm not inclined to name names for amts received.... it's against my religion).
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:46 pm

To my knowledge, Lehigh wrestling has the following sources of aid:
* 9.9 targeted scholarships from Wrestling Endowment
* Academic grants from University
* Minority grants from University
* Need-based (along with the rest of the LU student population) from University

Maybe someone can chime in and adjust if this is wrong.

From a practical standpoint, Pat has to work with 9.9 and stock talent for a 10 man roster, which means at least 20 guys. So, yeah, that's where you get the half-ride stuff from. It's an estimate.

NCAA wrestling used to allow 11 full rides before the NCAA reduced it by 10% -- that's -1.1 -- this explains the random looking number of 9.9. Only the NCAA wouldn't round it to 10.

Somehow, coach Santoro brings in high quality kids and puts out a very competitive team. Why do fans think LU can compete with the Big Boys in consistently landing whales? We can't....consistently that is.....cause we do land some really top notch kids.

"What's the problem? Do you even know what the problem is? The problem is there are rich teams and there are poor teams -- then there's 50 feet of crap -- then there's us." Billy Beane, Oakland A's GM