Has the Window Closed?

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
drd5748

Re: Has the Window Closed?

Post by drd5748 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:29 pm

Comparing us to Stanford winning 'a' NCAA team title is kinda irrelevant.
All-time NCAA team titles/all sports
1-Stanford 128
2-UCLA 118
3-USC 115
4-PennSt 55

I'd be thrilled if more fans compared our wrestling success to Notre Dame in football.

But the problem is similar for both LU and ND.... this is modern-day athletics, not the '30's to '60's
LU donors should lobby for an Ag School. Didn't PSU once mock us in the Centre Daily TImes in '67 for our ties to farm country?

Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:23 am

I have never gotten a clear answer on this. If EG PSU has 20 kids with wrestling money on their roster and 20 "walk=ons" Can they they give, Using the $6000, only $59,400 distributed among the 20 with wrestling money? or $120,000 ($6000 to each of the 20)? or $240,000 ($6,000 to each of the 40)?
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:41 pm

The articles that I read on this focused mainly on football, where all scholarships are full. It sure sounded to me like they were talking about "cost of attendance" stipends given in addition to tuition, room and board, and books, so that seems like it's only for scholarship athletes.

The schools calculate the "cost of attendance" themselves; the $6K is the maximum allowed. Most of the stipends are in the $2K to $4K range. It can also vary within the schools and programs -- presumably the cost of attendance includes trips home; that's going to be higher for someone who lives 5000 miles away than for someone living 5 miles away.

Common sense would be that someone on a partial scholarship in a non-football sport would receive a partial stipend, but in my experience common sense is uncommon.
TMH

Post by TMH » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:15 pm

drd5748 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:29 pm Comparing us to Stanford winning 'a' NCAA team title is kinda irrelevant.
All-time NCAA team titles/all sports
1-Stanford 128
2-UCLA 118
3-USC 115
4-PennSt 55

I'd be thrilled if more fans compared our wrestling success to Notre Dame in football.

But the problem is similar for both LU and ND.... this is modern-day athletics, not the '30's to '60's
LU donors should lobby for an Ag School. Didn't PSU once mock us in the Centre Daily TImes in '67 for our ties to farm country?
Think about what Stanford has acomplished.It's a school of 7,000 undergrads that is ranked #6 by US News and World Report academically behind 4 Ivies and MIT. They have an acceptance rate of 5%, support 36 varsity sports and won 128 national titles without an "ag school" that I know of. It helps to have Silicon Valley supporting you but it's amazing what is possible.
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:31 pm

All you need to do is sprinkle a little money on the problem and it goes away.
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:49 pm

Some quick thoughts:

1) Go DIII and win the national title yearly: Just kidding.

2) I'm continually impressed at what this relatively small school can do on a national level. It's a testament to tradition, commitment, coaching and support.

3) It would be cool to get a few recruiting classes that could help LU battle for top NCAA spot.

4) It's a shame to see the aging wrestling crowd. The tradition of American men (at what once was an all-male school) supporting their classmates and schoolmates at athletic events is over. Co-education, unassimilated internationals and computer gaming -- IMHO -- have played roles in attendance/student support.

5) The good news, based on personal experience, is if you can get young folks into Grace during a competitive match and you explain what's going on -- scoring, moves/leverage, personalities -- you can get them to return for the experience, even if they do not become fanatics.
OldMan

Post by OldMan » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:07 pm

jdalu75 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:31 pm I'm remembering Denny's account of the early hours at one of the Grapple at the Garden events, seeing the power schools with platoons of support personnel to help set up workout equipment for their wrestlers. That's something we've never had and still don't. It's not just the tuition, room and board, plus the travel budget for major events. There's also the workout partners (read: unofficial coaches), athletic dorms, tutors, quiet summer jobs, frills and coddling that other schools can provide. Lehigh's already singled out wrestling as the premier program in its athletic department; there's a point beyond which no administration will go.
I absolutely pushed my son toward Lehigh, despite being one of a few who didn’t offer him 100%. However, during his visits it’s clear there is a huge difference when considering the power 5 schools. The extra legal perks/benefits available to this generation of athletes is outstanding & very difficult to compete with from Lehigh’s perspective.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:33 pm

So what can we conclude from all this?

Lehigh is going to have to win without the benefit of a true whale like Spencer Lee or Nick Suriano. Of course, Pat has had several guys become whales....that is he discovered and/or developed guys who others missed as whales.
DCruz, Nate Brown, Preisch, Hamlin, Humphreys. When you get 3 AAs a year to the NCAA podium, your program is in rarified (rarefied) air.

I guess I don't get why all the angst about recruiting. LU cannot compete in recruiting on an even playing field with Power 5 teams yet we do compete on the mat. Lehigh being a top 10-15 team is akin to being top 5-8 in the old days. 20 gets you 1 the staff is sickened by all this sorta negative banter about recruiting. Lehigh recruiting is just fine. Results have been great. Complain about our University colors if you are looking for something to complain about.
RichH

Post by RichH » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:57 pm

Oracle wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:33 pm So what can we conclude from all this?

Lehigh is going to have to win without the benefit of a true whale like Spencer Lee or Nick Suriano. Of course, Pat has had several guys become whales....that is he discovered and/or developed guys who others missed as whales.
DCruz, Nate Brown, Preisch, Hamlin, Humphreys. When you get 3 AAs a year to the NCAA podium, your program is in rarified (rarefied) air.

I guess I don't get why all the angst about recruiting. LU cannot compete in recruiting on an even playing field with Power 5 teams yet we do compete on the mat. Lehigh being a top 10-15 team is akin to being top 5-8 in the old days. 20 gets you 1 the staff is sickened by all this sorta negative banter about recruiting. Lehigh recruiting is just fine. Results have been great. Complain about our University colors if you are looking for something to complain about.
+1
mookie

Post by mookie » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:30 pm

We're running out of wrestling topics.