Lehigh Football

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
RichH

Lehigh Football

Post by RichH » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:43 am

Sterrett stated to the Call that as yet no firm plans have been made for Fall sports. He expects a decision from the Presidents early next week. He did say that Fall Sports.can be moved unlike Spring sports last season.

Hawktalker

Re: Lehigh Football

Post by Hawktalker » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:11 pm

I don't think the decision will be to play...but I hope I'm wrong
RichH

Post by RichH » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:55 am

Feel the same way Talker :(

LU's current plan has student being phased onto campus starting 8/3. Under Phase IV guidelines athletic events will be allowed. This would allow football to comply with the NCAA mandate of a 6 week preseason startup for football..
While the northeast has at least for the moment gotten a decent cap on COVID , most of the rest of the US has failed miserably. An October start may be possible but I think it very unlikely. I will hope however. :D
jimk72

Post by jimk72 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:30 pm

I'm 69 going on 70. Wear a mask, wash your hands, be careful where you go and you almost for sure will be fine. Problem is getting kids to do that consistently. Almost have to lock 'em up. And if you get a case or two on campus or on the team you're probably done with competition.
mookie

Post by mookie » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:10 pm

I'm 69 going on 70.

Kind of how it should go.
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:39 pm

Good points made by all.

I saw one college has limited fraternity parties to 10 people. Seems ridiculous if it's indoors -- and that students will follow along. Lehigh has instituted many rules over the years that have barely been followed.

Hopefully we'll get to see what kids today are made of -- and hopefully we'll be impressed.

But 'd say we're 50-50 at this point on fall sports.
lehighalum11

Post by lehighalum11 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:54 pm

I really hope Lehigh institutes some enforced rules, similar to what Holy Cross did yesterday ( https://www.holycross.edu/sites/default ... 200711.pdf ).
If not, I can easily see them being shut down ASAP due to outbreaks/partying/etc. It will not be very fun for the kids, but its the kind of leadership schools have to see right now.

Does anybody have inside info on this?
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:11 pm

The more I read, the more I am becoming less optimistic about fall sports. As others have noted, our students have not been stellar in following University regulations in other matters. With so many kids, I would expect some getting COVID. Look at the pros, with all the assets at their beck and call, they are still getting exposed. The cost of regular testing is going to be very high. I think each test is about $40-60.00--times 90 plus staff a couple times a week?? And that's just football. I am disheartened as a month ago I thought there was a realistic chance of football in August. But after watching how we have lacked the discipline to wear masks and distance, and watching the numbers soar, I think we may have to follow what the Ivies have done. I hope I am wrong.
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:54 pm

The Holy Cross brochure is impressive.

One crazy thought:

What if athletes ONLY were allowed on campus and everyone took online classes?

I think of the bubble the NBA and MLS are trying. Is there a way to replicate that?

Colleges could still generate TV/NCAA $.

Might you add members of certain clubs, too? Theoretically the coaches/advisers could keep better tabs on the students, some of whom get scholarships for playing and would not want to risk them.
RichH

Post by RichH » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:10 am

Sanguine to say the least. Plans are necessary but not the answer for football. Athletes at Lehigh have shown tremedous discipline in juvgling sports and academics. I expect they will do the same with COVID. You can minimize all the risks successfully but they cannot be eliminated as yet. All you need is one positive player and 1/2 the team will be out for 2 weeks.
A Spring schedule may present a possibility of a vaccine.
Of course we could also see the dreaded 2nd wave.
Wow, I'm depressing myself :D .