Simon Announces Resignation

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Mountain Hawk

Simon Announces Resignation

Post by Mountain Hawk » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:29 am

don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Let's conduct a proper search my some core Lehigh people to find a legit replacement instead of the Board of Woke making the decisions.

RichH

Re: Simon Announces Resignation

Post by RichH » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:57 am

Simon has been an excellent President. Rather than snarky comments, I would hope that we get a new one as good.
mookie

Post by mookie » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:15 pm

Drexel's president would be an excellent choice. Just don't know if Lehigh is considered a step up?
Lehigh74

Post by Lehigh74 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:25 pm

RichH wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:57 am Simon has been an excellent President. Rather than snarky comments, I would hope that we get a new one as good.
As far as I'm concerned, the jury is still out as to whether he has been an excellent President. I will say this, he certainly hasn't played it safe. He and the Board of Trustees have taken some large risks, including adding a College of Health and increasing the undergraduate student enrollment by 20%. Those may turn out to be turn out to be brilliant decisions, but at this point, it's to early to tell one way or the other.
RichH

Post by RichH » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:25 pm

True enuf 74. Standing pat was and isnt an option. Tbe classes of graduating seniors has been shrinking which will continue to 24/25. There will be smaller pools of qualified students . Makes sense to increase offerings. Health technology is a growth which other Us are exploring also. Have we done it right? Time will tell.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:00 pm

The Pres who let Asa Packers other institution, St Lukes Hospital System unite with another university, Temple, is the one who F...ed up.
TMH

Post by TMH » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:24 pm

Richb-3 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:00 pm The Pres who let Asa Packers other institution, St Lukes Hospital System unite with another university, Temple, is the one who F...ed up.
Where do you see a synergy between Lehigh University and St. Luke's? Temple has a fully functioning medical school.

I do however see a real potential partnership between Lehigh and St, Luke's or LVHN with regard to Lehigh's health college. in the future. Thomas Jefferson is another alternative given that the current President/CEO is a Lehigh grad.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:31 pm

Just this past year, i read that Asa Packer provided the founding money fo St Lukes about a decade after he founded the University. A littlr less money. Just seems like a natural connection. And now that we have the health college.

I assume Alice let St Luke slip away while she was going for her Muslim studies thing.
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:40 pm

Alice did such a terrible job at Lehigh that she was offered the presidency of Imperial College London (#9 university worldwide).
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:51 am

A couple of thoughts, regardless of which president/board is/was responsible:

-- The cost of attendance at Lehigh continues to rise -- like other universities -- to a point where education is unattainable/unaffordable to many regardless of the financial aid the U offers. As people start to figure this out, it will be a growing challenge for private universities.

-- If you are not in a key major, the ROI of a Lehigh education is highly questionable.

-- Adding students and the health school (a good idea, but ... ) was a huge risk. The good news is adding students would seem to spread the massive overhead this university has, given its massive campus. But when applications go down, that's a sign of trouble. The quality of students and the education must remain high.

-- The effects of COVID-19 -- the increasing popularity and (cost) effectiveness of distance learning, the economic troubles and more -- will hamper many institutions. Given the massive challenges on the horizon, Lehigh needs a much more effective leader than the past presidents I've seen. Tuition must be controlled, or rolled back. Increasing distance learning targeting folks who will never come on campus -- like Mitch Daniels and his team have done at Purdue -- can be a win, increasing revenue and showcasing top teaching talent.

-- The past year or two have been troubling, from application numbers to the mess over buildings not being completed so students could move in. I know a number of parents who have not been happy (and surprised) about a) the fact their children have to sign off-campus leases a year or two ahead of time; b) confusion over when new dorms would be open; c) confusion until very late on fall plans this year. While COVID was a challenge no one could have foreseen, the fall plans -- parents I know say -- could have been handled better, including from a communications standpoint.