PRINCETON

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
Lehigh74

Re: PRINCETON

Post by Lehigh74 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:34 pm

ngineer wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:19 pm I think a decision needs to be made, now, about next season so plans can begin being put in place in order to have continuity with recruiting and no unnecessary surprises.
Couldn’t agree more. Hopefully the correct decisions will be made.

Hawkineer

Post by Hawkineer » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:06 am

Andy’s quote from the Morning Call:
“They’re just a better football team than we are, clearly,” LU coach Andy Coen said. “And there are reasons why they are. When you look out and their 3s [third-string players] are beating our 1s [starters], that pretty much says it all. Give me the scholarship money that the Ivies give that they say don’t, but they do, then it would be a whole different look.“
This alone should get him fired. What the he!! Kind of message does this send to his players? My ones aren’t as good as their threes. Give me the scholarship money and I could be a good coach too? I have no talent and I have no money! Poor, poor me! Guess he’ll throw his players and administration under bus to cover his backside. Except for the fact that PU is a better TEAM, nothing else in this quote should have been said publicly. No one likes a whiner. We need a fighter as a HC.

Sterrett ought to be livid.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:55 am

I think the PL has to have a "summit" of some sort and decide what they want to do about football. If we don't want to spend the money to 'run with the bulls', then make the decision and go back to D-II and the Pioneer should join us. Either that or drop football as a league sport and let the "Magnificent Seven" go about it on their own. Some could join the CAA if they have the nerve, or the NEC or the Big South (and call it the Big Littles). Some might choose D-II or D-III. Regardless, watching the gap expand between us and the CAA and Ivy teams and, gradually, the NEC teams is very frustrating. It is not "fun" when your statistical chance of winning is less than 10 %. I can live with 33%, which is sort of they way it's been for awhile with the CAA and Ivy. But people are finding better things to do than watch opponents score basketball type scores on us with regularity. I guess an other option would be to downgrade the OOC with Pioneer and D-II teams as some other schools do in the mid and southwest. Anyway, something needs to be done. Done.
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:50 am

Hawkineer wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:06 am Andy’s quote from the Morning Call:
“They’re just a better football team than we are, clearly,” LU coach Andy Coen said. “And there are reasons why they are. When you look out and their 3s [third-string players] are beating our 1s [starters], that pretty much says it all. Give me the scholarship money that the Ivies give that they say don’t, but they do, then it would be a whole different look.“
This alone should get him fired. What the he!! Kind of message does this send to his players? My ones aren’t as good as their threes. Give me the scholarship money and I could be a good coach too? I have no talent and I have no money! Poor, poor me! Guess he’ll throw his players and administration under bus to cover his backside. Except for the fact that PU is a better TEAM, nothing else in this quote should have been said publicly. No one likes a whiner. We need a fighter as a HC.

I hate to admit that I questioned you, Hawkineer, but this quote was SO SHOCKING had to look it up. I thought it was "fake news."

Sure enough, it's in here.

http://www.mcall.com/sports/varsity/mc- ... story.html

No way would I put up with such a comment from my coach.

It's class-less.

Nor would I put up with the defense this team has had the past several years. Yale and Penn dropped 65 and 56 points on LU last year.

Now 66??? Many from second- and third-string guys?

Hopefully this fires up the players. They're way better than this.
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:56 am

After today's debacle, Lehigh's supposedly "much-improved" defense is now ranked 115 out of 124 FCS teams in Total Defense.

Colgate is third in the nation in Total D and first in scoring defense: 4.6 points.

#noexecuses

BTW: Why was Woetzel, it looked like, still in a blowout game when his left hand was all bandaged up. Does this team have no depth?

#keepguyshealthy

I just looked up Total Offense: Lehigh is 111 of 124.

When was last times LU ever ranked so poorly in these two categories?
HawkForLife

Post by HawkForLife » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:57 am

PRINCETON GAME WAS AN EMBARRASSMENT. I SAY THIS AFTER WATCHING PLENTY OF LEHIGH FOOTBALL AND PLENTY OF FOOTBALL PERIOD.

OUR NEW DEFENSIVE SCHEME MADE ME OPTIMISTIC. CLEARLY COACHES CANNOT EVALUATE TALENT. ALL I HEARD FOR PAST SEVERAL MONTHS WAS ABOUT PUTTING PRESSURE ON QB AND STOPPING THE RUN. THIS WONT HAPPEN WHEN SOME OF OUR PERIMETER GUYS ARE 10 YARDS DOWN FIELD (NOT BY CHOICE). HOW MANY SACKS DO WE HAVE?

AGREE WITH PRIOR POST. WHAT IS AN INJURED LB DOING IN A GAME WE ARE LOSING BY 60 POINTS? BELIEVING THERE IS NO ONE ELSE TO PUT IN IS IDIOTIC.

DISAGREE WITH ANDY ON RECRUITING. LEHIGH RECRUITS THE SAME KIND OF KID AS THE IVIES. ZERO CHANCE PRINCETON'S 3RD TEAM IS BETTER THAN THE BEST KIDS WE CAN RECRUIT. WHICH BEGS THE QUESTION, WHY COULD PRINCETON'S 3RD TEAM MOVE THE BALL SO EASILY ON OUR FIRST TEAM? MAYBE OUR BEST KIDS ARENT ON THE FIELD?

SOLUTION: NEED SOME REAL DEFENSIVE COACHES. I WOULD OFFER TO COACH FOR FREE, BUT I HAVE A FULL TIME JOB. ANDY HAS TO GO AS WELL. HE ENABLES THIS DEBACLE TO HAPPEN.
RichH

Post by RichH » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:10 am

Hawkineer wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:06 am Andy’s quote from the Morning Call:

This conversation has been ongoing among coaches and ADs over the last few years. Andy is right as to the substantial advantage Ivies have over us with 120 fully financed football slots . Ivy coaches can miss on 40 players and still have 80 good ones.We cant miss on any of our 60. They still have to be coached well. Ivies have always had a few top teams. Now they have parity to a much greater extent. Cornell beat Harvard yesterday.
We will always be lagging the CAA as they have full scholarship aid and redshirting. ngineer is right that this issue must be faced by our Presidents this year and actions taken.
All that said,Andy went too far by using this as an excuse for the rout.He did highlight our youth and missed tackles and dropped passes. There were quite a number of both. We were outclassed by a much superior team. The quality of Princeton does not excuse our mistakes nor that we just gave up in the 3rd period. Those issue are all on us and the staff.
Truthfully,I was more concerned with Andy's defense of the coaches towards the end of the article. Hard to accept a claim that staff is doing a "great" job after a 4 game losing streak none of which we were competitive in.
Right now Lehigh has a somewhat better D with a major issue of big plays and an offense that is sputtering in neutral unable to score points.
Rather than make excuses, Andy and staff have to fix these problems.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:13 pm

I do not like the whining in the paper. If not willing to accept the differences, go home and play in a different sandbox. PL/Lehigh needs to determine whether we want to remain a D-I program. Playing with the bigger boys (not the biggest) means having to pay the freight to compete. The schools need to determine philosophically if they want to spend what's necessary to truly compete, as opposed to hoping for an occasional upset. I doubt they do.
RichH

Post by RichH » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:18 pm

ngineer wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:13 pm I do not like the whining in the paper. If not willing to accept the differences, go home and play in a different sandbox. PL/Lehigh needs to determine whether we want to remain a D-I program. Playing with the bigger boys (not the biggest) means having to pay the freight to compete. The schools need to determine philosophically if they want to spend what's necessary to truly compete, as opposed to hoping for an occasional upset. I doubt they do.
+1
Some do, some cant and some wont. 3-1-3. We need just 1 of the wonts to step up. Right now Cross is the key. Are they going all in with Chesney?June council meeting will be interesting.
Bison_137

Post by Bison_137 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:19 pm

RichH wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:10 am Andy is right as to the substantial advantage Ivies have over us with 120 fully financed football slots .

That’s a bit misleading. There are many players on every Ivy team who are not getting a full ride. I know three from my own town who are paying full freight and are playing regularly.