EIWA

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
TMH

Re: EIWA

Post by TMH » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:16 pm

So outside looking in would be a NQ (there are 4). Meeting or exceeding their bid would be an AQ (there are 6).

You may have mistyped when you stated there would be 6 NQ

I'm expecting several guys to exceed their bids at the EIWA after listening to what was going on with the team this year. With the last 2 duals being cancelled, it gave them the first extended period of time to really work out. The talent is there. Thry just need to get in match mode.

lu_alum

Post by lu_alum » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:25 pm

TMH wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:16 pm So outside looking in would be a NQ (there are 4). Meeting or exceeding their bid would be an AQ (there are 6).

You may have mistyped when you stated there would be 6 NQ

I'm expecting several guys to exceed their bids at the EIWA after listening to what was going on with the team this year. With the last 2 duals being cancelled, it gave them the first extended period of time to really work out. The talent is there. Thry just need to get in match mode.
No mistake in typing:
NQ = national qualifier (which is different than DNQ)

Even if you had a different interpretation for NQ, red generally indicates bad or not meeting a target level of performance.
TMH

Post by TMH » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:14 pm

My apologies
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:30 am

Should the brackets hold, and irrespective of the inactivity factor, wrestlestat is predicting these first bout results for the 6 LU wrestlers who aren't top seeded:

141 - (Notwithstanding his recent loss to him), 6th seeded McGonagle over 3rd seeded Peters, 8-5

149 - 4th seeded Hoffman over 5th seeded Nichter, 6-5

157 - 3rd seeded Kropman over 6th seeded Frinzi, 13-4

165 - 3rd seeded Stamm over 6th seeded Meyer, 7-6

174 - 4th seeded Nolan over 5th seeded Logan, 6-5

184 - 9th seeded Hammerman over 8th seeded Guida, 7-5
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:42 am

Frinzi has an interesting matchup with Kropman, Kropman has had a strange wrestling career if you look at his wins and losses.....has beaten Jared Prince and Matt Koldzik (believe Koldzik was number 2 in the country at the time) but has lost a whole bunch of head scratchers.....another WNY kid so I've followed what he's done over the years...2 years at Binghamton then transferred to Drexel....
mookie

Post by mookie » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:04 am

Peters always chooses top so McGonagle will have to figure a way out of his killer ride. Cost McGonagle the match in the dual.
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:23 am

whiz wit wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:30 am Should the brackets hold, and irrespective of the inactivity factor, wrestlestat is predicting these first bout results for the 6 LU wrestlers who aren't top seeded:

141 - (Notwithstanding his recent loss to him), 6th seeded McGonagle over 3rd seeded Peters, 8-5

149 - 4th seeded Hoffman over 5th seeded Nichter, 6-5

157 - 3rd seeded Kropman over 6th seeded Frinzi, 13-4

165 - 3rd seeded Stamm over 6th seeded Meyer, 7-6

174 - 4th seeded Nolan over 5th seeded Logan, 6-5

184 - 9th seeded Hammerman over 8th seeded Guida, 7-5
I heard that Santoro told the Home Club that McGonagle was not in the best of shape when the season began and they expect he'll be much better on Friday. I don't know if that means he had Covid or something else, or whether the frequent shutdowns affected him.

I was hoping that McGonagle could avoid Peters until a later round. Army guy tall and experienced (2-time placewinner), McG has to watch out for Peters's leg ride.

Nichter's good, one of my dark horse picks based on very thin tea leaves. Hoffman can't look past him.

Pat could have challenged for 5th seed at 157 and didn't. I suspect he's happier with Frinzi facing Kropman and not Cerniglia in the quarters.

Stamm has wrestled at EIWAs once at 174 and evidently was expecting to do it again, so my guess is that Meyer's (lack of) size will work against him. Stamm's also a 2-time placewinner. One thing I expect is that the bout stays close. They wrestled at last year's Journeymen and Stamm won 6-5, tb.

I like Logan's chances against Nolan.

Who knows? Ammerman back from a long layoff, Guida up from 174 earlier this season. I'd like to think that Dylan won in a three-way wrestle-off and didn't have the spot handed to him due to injury or illness.
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:33 pm

>>>I have a feeling from what I’ve read that Paetzell is a man without a home.....can’t make 125, can’t beat Hines at 133 and can’t beat McGonagle at 141 .... 141 is a big weight jump for him

.... And our feelings here as fans are more important than the wrestlers feelings, right? After all, we create these boards whereas they only have their Twitter pages - if they have one. Maybe we could write "I feel for the guy" vs. calling him a man w/out a home.
I'm not supposed to break HIPAA laws but Brandon came back from Thanksgiving with a bug, then was later diagnosed with a condition whereby the medical & coaching staffs forbade him from even trying 125. He never intended 141 but that became his only option in a ridiculously short lead-up to Easterns.
Since nobody in the programs knows next year for sure, it would be absurd to decide yet who will want to return for a 6th year the NCAA decided to allow -- except Jordan Wood. Equally absurd to try to guess lower weights, although it would hardly surprise if Hines moved up to 141 -- which he possibly would have for EIWA if Brandon had been able to make 133. As fans we think too much and try to manage too much; it would be nice if we showed more patience for what the future will bring. It is Paetzell's Pain, not ours.
Rebuilding years are not unique for 90% of wrestling programs.
p.s. I do not pretend to assume that all teams have dealt with Covid equally.
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:07 am

Interesting so I was right..... you just knew the reasons....thanks for the confirmation....all the rest, semantics and hogwash....there wouldn’t be sports without fans who speculate, spend time wondering and pondering and so on...

You remind me of my crotchety old uncle who owns a beautiful upscale public golf course and who’s famous line is “i would love running this public golf course, if only i didnt have to deal with the public”....
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:12 am

Aren't public golf courses, by definition, not owned by crotchety old uncles?