4 Weeks Out, Make a Prediction

Young team returns in 2018-2019 with tons of promise. Can they get back to the NCAA Tournament?
RichH

Re: 4 Weeks Out, Make a Prediction

Post by RichH » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:53 am

Being a football guy, I am not in favor of throwing football under the bus. As frustrating as our team is now, it is not a sign to dump the program. The Whys are evident. Prioritising them is not. Some need to be addressed by Sterrett. Others by the Council of Presidents.
I have been around LU football for over 50 years. I have seen much worse teams and longer stretches of bad results . The need is to fix the program not throw it away.
I am optimistic about Doc's team this year. Lynch or Wilson? My wish is for Lynch as rebounding and inside D have been issues for us.
A bigger question for you experts is who gets the minutes?? On paper we have more depth than we've had in a while. Particularly in the front court.
Who starts?
Who comes off the bench first?

ngineer

Post by ngineer » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:33 am

Interesting post about the Pioneer League and the reduced costs for football; however, I wonder how the travel costs impact since that conference stretches from Florida up to the midwest and out to California. But, worth a look. A number of the Pioneer schools have very good basketball. Maybe time for PL to drop football and let Lehigh, Lafayette, Bucknell and Colgate find their landing spots as they see fit.
CHIP72

Post by CHIP72 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:53 am

Even before I read the posts in this thread, my prediction was that Lehigh basketball would have a better season in 2018-19 than Lehigh football has had!
Bison_137

Post by Bison_137 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:24 pm

Official PL preseason poll is out. LU picked for 1st, Bucknell 2nd.

http://patriotleague.org/news/2018/10/1 ... aspx?path=
LU808

Post by LU808 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:24 pm

Not a lot of daylight between the top 3-4 teams...this is gonna be a dogfight to the end.

Injuries may rule the outcome!
lehigh90

Post by lehigh90 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:37 pm

Not sure I understand Sestina on the first team. Bit of a leap, for a guy that averaged 6 points per game last year. That was a career high.
Bison_137

Post by Bison_137 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:58 pm

lehigh90 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:37 pm Not sure I understand Sestina on the first team. Bit of a leap, for a guy that averaged 6 points per game last year. That was a career high.
It's probably because the coaches view him as one of the top five players in the league. Last year he mostly sat behind the two best players in the league. But when he played, he played really well. For example, in the PL final - when Thomas was dealing with an injury - he had 16 points (on 10 shots) in 18 minutes. Then put up 7 points and 7 rebounds in 18 minutes vs Michigan State in the NCAA despite being guarded by big men who went #4 and #12 in the NBA draft shortly after that game.

If Nate stays healthy, the main issue will be whether he can stay out of foul trouble. He is one of the most athletic and one of the strongest players in the PL, and he can hit the three. His rebounding rate last year was better than Foulland, Floyd, Rayman, and almost everyone else in the leage - and he shot 64% on his twos.
lehigh90

Post by lehigh90 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:59 pm

He’s been virtually invisible for 3 seasons. We are talking about a guy who has scored 385 points in 3 seasons. His fouls and turnovers exceed his made baskets for his career.
Bison_137

Post by Bison_137 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:03 pm

lehigh90 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:59 pm He’s been virtually invisible for 3 seasons. We are talking about a guy who has scored 385 points in 3 seasons. His fouls and turnovers exceed his made baskets for his career.
He missed his first season with an injury. Then the last two years, he backed up the league's two top players and was not asked to try to create offense. He would have started last year - and been very good - for any of the other nine teams in the league. When they did need him to create offense, he showed very few players could guard him.

The point of a preseason All-PL team is for the coaches (and SID's) to attempt to pick the best players for THIS YEAR, not last year.
Lehigh65

Post by Lehigh65 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:17 pm

Love the banter and insights from guys that know the game far better than me. That said, I’ll chime in with a 6-5 OOC Record with Ws over: Monmouth, Marist, Princeton, Siena, Arkansas State and Mount St. Mary. I’m afraid SFU will ruin a perfect 4 and 0 at home on Dec. 22.

With all the well-deserved Board chatter focused thus far on Karnick and Lynch, I’m foreseeing a monster year out of a guy who has toiled (29 games in each of his first two years at Lehigh with steadily improving minutes and point totals) in the shadows of one of Lehigh’s greatest of all time at his position since first stepping foot on South Mountain. I’m thinking this guy has learned his lessons well and will set a high bar for our newcomers in the backcourt. And, why not? It's in his blood. He’s a Lehigh Scholar Athlete and two-time Academic Honor Roll awardee. Yeah, I’m thinking #11 will make this offense his own by the time League play begins and be instrumental in our climb to the top. Let's hear it for JORDAN COHEN!