All About Andy

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
Marco

All About Andy

Post by Marco » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:06 pm

I'll begin by stating that I think he's a nice guy. I'll acknowledge that he's very close to becoming LUs all-time winningest football coach. Let's also acknowledge that he has won six of the school's twelve Patriot League championships since 2006.

And yet, when looking at Andy's tenure as Lehigh's head coach, one must consider this as well:

Take away his five best seasons (2010 - 2013, and 2016) where the record was 42-12, his record the rest of the way, including this season's current debacle is a very pedestrian 35-50.

How can this be?

Simple; when he does not have great (not merely good) coordinators, Andy is revealed as a losing coach. I don't like saying this, but if I am wrong, let me know. On the defensive side, these are points allowed in various games since 2013- 52, 48, 50, 45, 54, 45, 48, 55, 52, 59, 49, 66....

I maintain that his 8-4 record against Lafayette, his two road playoff wins (2010, 2011) and his overall nice guy demeanor has saved him from already being gone.

What's an athletic director to do?

LUFBPhan

Re: All About Andy

Post by LUFBPhan » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:11 pm

You said Andy doesn’t do well when he doesn’t have great coordinators,
Who chooses the coordinators?
We did well with Bott and he was just awful. Wasn’t he a coordinator?
And you talk about our defense -
Sure your secondary needs work- I don’t remember when LEHIGH could cover a pass. And while the LBs aren’t Harvey or Caslow- they are improving. The Dline Is decent but goes unnoticed. Haven’t missed a step with Cavenas gone.
The OC needs more plays than running Dom up the middle. Oh and one more thing- if you don’t give back up QB playing time this year- our excuse next year will be the same as our excuse this year for our OLine (inexperience).
The fish rots from the head down.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:36 pm

A good number of this crop seem to have lost their motivation. Sure, it's not fun when you're losing, but football is all about adversity and how you handle it. When kids are recruited I would think one of the key factors is getting kids who have a tough streak. Who don't whine or mope when things go wrong, because they will. They always will. It's the kids who are motivated to overcome the hurdles who are successful. It just seems we have too many guys who, when things go wrong, hand their heads and say 'woe is me.' In times past, some these kids would get a kick in the butt, but you cannot do that with "today's athlete". They have to be handled delicately because they haven't learned to how to handle adversity. I can't recall any coach or captain getting in a player's face about a screw up, and Lord knows there have been plenty of them to go around. Where's the passion? Where's the Pride? I am reminded of the great biography on Vince Lombardi,"When Pride Still Mattered". I don't see it anymore. I want to see this team come out mad and pissed off. They should be. Take it out on the SOB's across the field. Let's see what you're made of !
Hawkineer

Post by Hawkineer » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:31 pm

Perhaps the players are a reflection of the coach. Based his post game interviews, has anyone whined or moped around more than the head coach? He has spent too much time acting as a victim rather than a leader. Using words like bad luck and cursed makes it sound like things are outside the control of the players and coaches, giving everyone an excuse and removing accountability and responsibility.
Lehigh74

Post by Lehigh74 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:01 pm

I’m looking forward to there being just one more game in Andy’s tenure as head coach.
Hawkineer

Post by Hawkineer » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:16 pm

Lehigh74 wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:01 pm I’m looking forward to there being just one more game in Andy’s tenure as head coach.
God, I hope that you are right! I just don't have enough confidence in Sterrett, who has been equally guilty in creating this mess.
RichH

Post by RichH » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:49 pm

Andy's postgame. We didnt do the little things right.
That would be running pasing catching blocking tackling kicking. :roll: :?:
The obvious question is Why??
Lehigh74

Post by Lehigh74 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:30 pm

RichH wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:49 pm Andy's postgame. We didnt do the little things right.
Is it possible it has something to do with the coaching??
There is an old saying about a fish rotting from the head down.
RichH

Post by RichH » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:39 pm

Lehigh74 wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:30 pm
RichH wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:49 pm Andy's postgame. We didnt do the little things right.
Is it possible it has something to do with the coaching??
There is an old saying about a fish rotting from the head down.
Of course. An easy glib answer. Is that the magic wand to fix our program. I dont know. I actually dont see our staff as a bunch of incompetents. Nor do I think our talent level is that far below other PL teams. Is it a disconnect between the two? Is it injuries? Is it the coordinators?
van

Post by van » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:32 pm

just a theory, but there is something toxic going on with this team