All About Andy

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
RichH

Re: All About Andy

Post by RichH » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:36 pm

Van. Sending you a PM here.

Marco

Post by Marco » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:22 am

Apples to apples, as they say.

Last season, against these Raiders, Lehigh's offensive production (the two returning stars) was:

Bragalone- 25 carries, 186 yards, 1 TD; 1 catch for 35 yards.

Mayes- 22/30 passing for 297 yards and 2 TDs.

The Colgate defense was pretty much the same as this year, personnel wise.

The difference? Offensive line? Missing two really good weapons outside?

Andy will not become LUs all time winningest coach this year (he needed four Ws); as a result, win or lose next week, Andy will be brought back on that basis alone.

Sorry to report that to you.
Last edited by Marco on Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marco

Post by Marco » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:42 am

DEFENSE

(It wasn't always this way) Part 1

"Defense wins championships" - Famous Football Genius

We are "getting used to" bad defense. We are becoming accustomed to seeing teams run right up the middle on us. We are no longer surprised when bad teams have their best offensive performances against us. We expect that when an opponent is facing 3rd and 17, that they will gain a first down against us.

The shock and or embarrassment at giving up 600 yards and fifty+ points in a single game seems to be giving way to "oh well, here we go again".

Screw this! Here is the historical perspective on Andy's D:

TRENDS

Four years from 2009 to 2012 (Inclusive)

Points surrendered- 984, or 246 per season.

2013-2016 (Inclusive)

Points surrendered- 1,418, or 438 more points than in the previous period.

Note- I did not include 2017 and this season's "work in progress".

Said this before, and will say this until I am blue in the face- Andy is nothing without competent coordinators. Defensively, Bottiglieri, Sutyak, et al do not get it done. They don't recruit, they can't develop and they hardly ever make mid-game adjustments.

Since the 2013 season, the defense sucks.

WHY???
Marco

Post by Marco » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:52 am

DEFENSE (Part 2)

Who are our "peers"?

Maybe we should not expect miracles versus the CAA, Navy and others, but the PL, the Ivys, the Monmouths and Central Connecticuts should certainly be the teams we match up with and should expect to beat.

In the period 2013 - 2016, what I call the "Defensive Dearth era", we played 44 games and we recorded 14 losses to our peers. Again, mostly because we treat defense like a bastard at a family reunion.

And we are putting up with this...why?
Last edited by Marco on Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
jimk72

Post by jimk72 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:52 am

Marco, Andy now needs 3 more wins to tie legendary Bill Leckonby. If he is brought back to break the record this could take years.
Marco

Post by Marco » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:03 am

I'm afraid that this crap has less to do with Andy and everything to do with an administration that is hoping against hope they don't have to ruin his Christmas.

Sports is about building character, and competing and learning, working hard, teamwork, yeah...yeah, yeah....I get it. And graduate the boys...okay, I understand that as well.

But just as elections have consequences, in sports, losing should have consequences. In real life, failure should have a shelf life; do we want to be Lafayette? Do we aspire to be Georgetown? I mean, if my recent posts on the defense don't make you see it, I don't know what can.

The trend is downward.

How is it that the cupboard is bare on the offensive line? Why can't coordinators figure out a way to make Mayes and Bragalone productive?

How can anyone make excuses for consistently putrid defense?

WHY?
Lehigh74

Post by Lehigh74 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:35 am

Marco,
Thanks for the history lesson. All the statistics just confirm what we already knew. I sincerely hope that you are wrong about Andy’s job being safe for at least one more year.
Hawkineer

Post by Hawkineer » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:44 am

Winning percentage is the best indicator of a coach's competence to recruit, develop, motivate, game plan, and adjust. Most wins is an indicator of longevity and, in the current situation, the apathy and indifference among the administration, AD, and, to some extent, the alumni and fan base.

Give me Leckonby, Dunlap, Whitehead, Higgins, and even Lembo any day of the week. Does anyone believe for a second that Higgins would not have smashed the most wins ever record and easily had the most PL championships had he stayed?
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:12 pm

Defense wins championships?

Enjoy this 2018 FCS defensive stats and tell me whether defense makes a difference. Look at where these teams are ranked and/or doing in their leagues.

TOTAL D: https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fcs/current/team/22 (Colgate 1, Lehigh 108 of 124 -- OK, so it has improved from last year)

D SCORING: https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fcs/current/team/28 (Colgate 1, Lehigh 109 of 124)
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:19 pm

I hate to admit it, I've come to this board every Sunday and Monday the past several weeks looking for possible news of Andy's dismissal or the departure of coaches. It's clear the AD has a lot of loyalty to the head coach.

I respect that. AC seems like a great guy, and the humanitarian side of me would be sorry to see him go after all the work and sacrifices he's put in and made here.

66-7, 56-0, 48-6 losses just this year ...

This is not high school football.

It is not D3 football, or even D2.

It's not just FCS football.

This is FCS SCHOLARSHIP ball ... the university should expect a better, more balanced, program for its investment.