Lehigh-Lafayette

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
RichH

Re: Lehigh-Lafayette

Post by RichH » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:49 pm

65% ? Surprising. Oh well lunch awaits. Then wrestling at 6pm.

Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:19 pm

Wrestling is at 5:00PM EST
RichH

Post by RichH » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:22 pm

Thanks Rich. Dang time zones :D
TMH

Post by TMH » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:40 pm

I'm ecstatic with the win but I think that Marco may be an easy grader. :-)

The special teams for the most part was superb. Mish made all his kicks and putted very, very well. Kickoffs however were kinda painful. It may have been an illusion but it seemed that Lafayette started a lot of drives near midfield. A+ is probably a bit high.

The offense, for the most part was the beneficiary of a great defensive performance, Lafayette miscues and some special teams heroics. At halftime, Lehigh had 133 yds of offense and finished with 303. Their 17 points in the 1st half resulted from a defensive TD, a 1 yd drive after the ball sailed over the kickers head and a FG on a stalled drive. In my mind, that was not an A performance.

An A+ for opportunism is probably not accurate when considering they got the ball on the Lafayette 27 after a blocked or missed FG and after losing 12 yards, was forced to punt.

All in all though, it was a very welcomed win, leaving the players to go into graduation and the off-season on a high note. It made my weekend too :-)
Lehigh74

Post by Lehigh74 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:34 pm

Let’s not kid ourselves, kickoff and punt return coverage was a big problem all year. Our special teams have a habit of making every kickoff and punt returner look like Gayle Sayers.
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:01 am

A little late to the game here, but ... I was happy with the win but it was not beautiful.

As Hawkineer said:

"As bad as we have been this year, we were never as bad as Lafayette was today. Today was my 40th LU-LC game. LC's performance today was the most putrid and uninspired that I have ever seen in THE rivalry."

He was dead on.

Still a little surprised to check in on a Sunday night to see no news of a coaching change. I'm glad AC tied the record, but how can you not be tired of the inconsistent play and outright embarrassing games ...?

That said, NJLehighFan was right:

"Lehigh Nation came to that game with a lot more desire than Lafayette. If you had to end a tough season on a high note, this was what we would have ordered. Happy for the graduating class to finish with this game."

So was TMH:

"I'm ecstatic with the win but I think that Marco may be an easy grader. :-) The special teams for the most part was superb. Mish made all his kicks and punted very, very well. Kickoffs however were kinda painful. It may have been an illusion but it seemed that Lafayette started a lot of drives near midfield. A+ is probably a bit high."

I like Lehigh74's line that our kick return unit make the other team's returners look like Gayle Sayers.

Seems like many colleges are pooching kicks now, willing to give the other team the ball at the 30 or 35 with no returns. I don't think Mish had a pooch the other day, but LC had some pretty good field position anyway.

Glad to see Brags with a record-setting, workhouse day. I'll really miss watching him play. Liked seeing Mayes run a bit more. Will miss his 2017 version, too. Great ballplayers.

Lots of guys returning, but team needs new leadership -- and you can't just keep tweaking assistants.
Lehigh74

Post by Lehigh74 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:03 am

Sundayamqb wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:01 am Lots of guys returning, but team needs new leadership -- and you can't just keep tweaking assistants.
Couldn’t agree more. Keith Groeller, of the morning call, wrote about how there is speculation that this might be Coen’s last year. Does anyone know whether a decision has been made one way or the other?
RichH

Post by RichH » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:08 am

Lots of supposedly informed conversation at the game but no confirmed info. The rumor of Andy's retirement as HC started during preseason camp from football alums. True? No idea. The feel I got from the day was testimonial for Andy. Imagine we will know something soon.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:36 pm

I agree with much of the sentiment expressed in the post-game posts. Truly was a great day--especially when you have completely dominated your rival...in their house.

One play that I was curious about was the weird kickoff that had us kicking to Laughyette from their 35 yard line due to the two penalties. Talk about embarrassing for the spotted pussies, but why didn't we pooch or do an onsides kick there? Nothing to lose whatsoever. This is Laughyette! Not some 'nice opponent' like Bucknell.

If O'Malley is the best QB they have, they are in deep...horrible accuracy due to bad footwork. I will acknowledge is receivers were equally incompetent. Must have dropped half a dozen that should have been caught.

Happy to see the 'juice' the players brought to the Game, but...you still have to be smart. WAY too many penalties, and the unsportsmanship crap has got to drive the coaches nuts, because I know they stress not doing the stupid crap.

The Marching '97 are a real credit to the school. I note at all the game they perform, the opponents' fans are appreciative. They have really improved immensely over the past ten years...and I agree that the Leotards' "pep band" was probably 'syncing' along during the national anthem.

A nice way to seguae into wrestling and basketball seasons. Looks like we have two winning programs this winter with a lot of young talent. Hopefully, our recruiting kicks it up a couple notches and the future of this program strengthened. If any changes are going to happen, they need to be done quickly in order to transition smoothly.
GO LEHIGH!
TMH

Post by TMH » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:28 pm

ngineer,
That kickoff took place in the 4th quarter with the score already 34-7. If it had been a closer game, an onside kick would have been a no-brainer. That KO though was way above the uprights and from 45 yds out.